1.    #1  
    After all the frustration of trying to order an AT&T Treo - their account systems offline for over a week - then having them be up and down etc as their systems "update" - it's all forgotten and forgiven.

I called and after 29 min on hold I placed an order for a Treo on Saturday around noon. And it's sitting on my desk when I get to work - Man I love FedEx and I love AT&T. I can't complain about that at all. Cingular users - eat your heart out !

And before you ask - I am in Nebraska and have no competing GSM carriers to access to see how locked my Treo is. But it's here, it's charging, and I am very happy.
    I looked at At&T but their data packages are unbelievalbe!! What data package did you go with?

Hows the call clarity? Any lost calls..
    SQLDba that's awesome
    I am waiting on pins and needles for my fed-x guy - should be here in a hour- I will see what happens.
  4.    #4  
    Everyone really complains about the data plans that AT&T has - in terms of pricing, but my experience is that you never use (or I never) use near what you might think.

I have carried the $7.99 a month plan (which is still very high) but that gives me 10 meg of data. Now I have never had an internet enabled phone like the Treo - that is one with a full browser - but I am a many times daily user of the Office Online service (like Sprint's Business Connect) which allows me to get access to my company email. I never touch the 10 mg limit.

For 2 months I carried a Blackberry w/ AT&T data. Their plans were $29.99 for 4 mg or $34.99 for unlimited data. I ran with the 4 meg, got roughly 100 emails a day, and didn't break 3 meg.

My company has many blackberrys in the hands of users, and the most active users don't break 5 mg of data a month according to our tracking.

If I was downloading application, streaming video etc - stuff you do on a regular computer - then I would be concerned about the data limits - but so far it hasn't been an issue to me. Additionally, the speeds are such that it isn't practical to do heavy internet usage on a handheld. Even as a former Sprint customer - with their blazing speeds, I wasn't happy with the speeds.

That said, it would be nice to pay a flat $5 for unlimited like Sprint has. I am REALLY disappointed that AT&T hasn't felt the pressure to match the competition when it comes to data rates. Clearly it's not an issue w/ most consumers.

Kind of like the roll-over minutes with Cingular - GREAT idea - but it isn't causing other carriers to match in order to compete.

Alltel is offering free mobile to mobile calling - that includes your home landline number. Fantastic idea - but no one else is matching it.

Hopefully portability will put a little more pressure on carriers to do something, but until the carriers have a little more standard format - or they release dual CDMA / GSM phones (which do exist) then Sprint will rarely lose customers to AT&T and vice versa. Especially when the customers most likely to switch are also those that are most likely to invest big bucks in their handsets.
    Originally posted by SQLDba
    I have carried the $7.99 a month plan (which is still very high) but that gives me 10 meg of data. Now I have never had an internet enabled phone like the Treo - that is one with a full browser - but I am a many times daily user of the Office Online service (like Sprint's Business Connect) which allows me to get access to my company email. I never touch the 10 mg limit.
    FYI: I consider myself a moderate internet user and, in 1.5mos, have already download 112MB of data.

You'll want to hit ##786 + Dial regularly to make sure you don't end up paying lots of $$$.
    I agree with the last post. It's easy to use _too_ much data. I am on a 270 wt. Tmo right now and am on the unlimited plan. I used to be on the 10 MB plan and had too carefully watch my usage. Just for a lark, and to see if it would be reasonable to switch to a diffferent GSM carrier, I put KBTracker back on my 270. In the nearly 2 weeks I've been looking, I have used over 6.6 MB of data. I _need_ an unlimited data plan! It is not uncommon for me to be billed for 10 - 15 MB of data service a month. (I _do_ spend a lot of time on-line, email, chat, browsing).
    I agree with the last post. It's easy to use _too_ much data. I am on a 270 wt. Tmo right now and am on the unlimited plan. I used to be on the 10 MB plan and had too carefully watch my usage. Just for a lark, and to see if it would be reasonable to switch to a diffferent GSM carrier, I put KBTracker back on my 270. In the nearly 2 weeks I've been looking, I have used over 6.6 MB of data. I _need_ an unlimited data plan! It is not uncommon for me to be billed for 10 - 15 MB of data service a month. (I _do_ spend a lot of time on-line, email, chat, browsing).
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    It's especially easy if you post everything twice on the TC forums!!

(kidding with ya)

-bostonGuy
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    To minimize data flow, use only Palm formatted sites.

See treo1.com, or smallsites.com

Avoid non Palm sites, as the Treo can easily load a 300K site in seconds!