1.    #1  
    those who have already got their cingular treo from early ordered batch,can u speak up,both ends--love it / hate it--story.
    I like it. The calls are clear and the coverage is good. Let's see what the new bills are like and I might have more to say.
    Good coverage, good voice. Can't seem to get the CSD dialup to work but I have not really fooled with it a lot. Cingular data $$$, hopefully this new number portability will drive down the cost of data.

David
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    i love it, the improvements over my t270 are mostly numerous tweaks which are very helpful.
    morris stalk
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I received mine on Thursday and have spent a lot of quality time (much to my wife's dismay) figuring out the ins and outs of the thing.

The bottom line: I f*cking love this thing!!!

I had a Treo 270 on T-Mobile and once my 600 arrived, I just popped in the sim and was good to go. The device is smaller than I imagined. I mean, like everyone else, I've been drooling over this thing for months, hunting down every image, review and potential release date. So once I had it in my hand, I was really surprised at the size and feel of it. Here are my thoughts on a few feature categories:

Speed

- Very fast
    - New processor makes using the device a joy

Screen

- Very bright
    - Very readable
    - Impressively clear for being "low res" (owned a hi res Clie before my Treo 270 so I know the difference)
    - Treo 270 seems to have a yellowish haze when compared to the Treo 600.

Keyboard

- Took just a few minutes to get used to (shape of keys and new placement of additional characters & numbers)
    - Keyboard backlight is a cool light blue color

D Pad

- Phenominal
    - Very intuitive
    - D Pad enabled apps are a joy. Minimal stylus use.

Customizable

- You can customize the welcome screen
    - You can customize the ringers
    - You can customize your favorites
    - You can customize the main buttons
    - You can customize the wireless mode on and off screens (thanks to jake pratt)
    - You can customize the pocket tunes skin
    - You can customize the color scheme of the entire operating system
    - You get the idea

Battery

- Lasts a really long time. I did yard work on Saturday for like 6 hours and had the mp3s going the entire time (half of the time through the headphones and half through the speaker). Brought the percentage down to like 65%.
    - Battery froze at 71% one time but a soft reset handled it

Speaker

- The external speaker is exception, both on speakerphone and when playing mp3s
    - It sounds better than the speakers that came standard on my laptop
    - Very loud but easily adjustible via up and down volume control on the outsite of the device for both call volume and ringer.

MP3s

- sound fabulous
    - minimal impact on battery life when played through the headphones or through speaker
    - background play with screen off
    - Filled my 512MB SD card with them

Favorites

- Was initially concerned about the 50 limitation. Then I read in the tips on the device that once you assigned someone from your address book to a favorite button, when you highlight that button, you can then hit the spacebar and a menu pops up with all of their other numbers! This saves a lot of slots for me.
    - Can assign apps
    - Can assign hotkey to any entry
    - Date & time are visible on the welcome page so I don't have to use up favorites buttons

Blazer

- Seems a bit buggy
    - Haven't used it much because I haven't made the GPRS plunge yet (Coming soon!)
    - D Pad works great to highlight links and email addresses

Mail App

- simple but usefull
    - Allows for multiple accounts (POP3 as far as I can tell)

Misc

- Polyphonic ring tones
    - vibrate not as loud as 270 but has the same intensity

Camera

- nothing to write home about, but a lot of fun
    - can produce decent pic with steady hand
    - pics can be assigned as wallpaper or associated with a favorite for picture caller ID

Dislikes or differences

- (Dislike) Can't just start dialing a phone number and/or do a contact search from the welcome page. Depending on which setting you choose, you can only do one or the other not both. Ony my 270, when I was on the speed dial page, I could start typing some letters: First it would search my address book to see if it matched an existing contact, then it would convert the letters into their corresponding numbers if no contact was found. The 600 doesn't do this, but it only takes a few days to get used to the new way.
    - (Difference) On the 270 if I wanted to redial the last number dialed, you could just hold down the phone button for a couple of secs and it would redial that number. The 600 has a redial list that you can access from the welcome page that shows the last ten numbers called.
    - (Dislike) Have to be conscious not to pop out the SD card when handling the thing. Might attempt the file down method
    - (Difference) On the 270, a double tap on the power button would result in the backlight being turned down and the keyboard illuminated. On the 600, Option P accomplished this.

Well that's all for now, I hope I didn't leave out any major categories!

Update:

- You can drag and drop both favorites and bookmarks when you are editing them. Here's what I mean: You delete a favorite or bookmark on page one. Then you want to move an entry from page four to page one. Just use your stylus and drag and drop the entry from its place on page four to the page one icon at the bottom.
    Last edited by jeeter; 11/24/2003 at 09:19 AM.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    I couldn't of said it better than "Jeeter"!
    I can't put this thing down! It's way better than the 270 in every respect.
    My only real gripe is with Blazer. I can't get it to deal with "cookies" properly and viewing TC. The 600 reset on me once thus far and it was while I was using Blazer! It happened so fast that it took a minute to realize that the 600 had just reset itself!
    I'll have to go back to that thread that showed how others fixed the cookie problem.
    Something else of interest, when I check my gprs used at Cingular's web site, "myaccount" there hasn't been any registered data movement since 11/20! Shhh this is good!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    sorry double post
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  8. Kan
    I loved mine until it stopped working. Would do a complete shut down and wouldn't start back up unless it was plugged into power. Once up, all of my information had been lost.

Handspring is sending me a brand new one, but thats 2-3 weeks away.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    I couldn't of said it better than "Jeeter"!
    I can't put this thing down! It's way better than the 270 in every respect.
    My only real gripe is with Blazer. I can't get it to deal with "cookies" properly and viewing TC. The 600 reset on me once thus far and it was while I was using Blazer! It happened so fast that it took a minute to realize that the 600 had just reset itself!
    I'll have to go back to that thread that showed how others fixed the cookie problem.
    Something else of interest, when I check my gprs used at Cingular's web site, "myaccount" there hasn't been any registered data movement since 11/20! Shhh this is good!
    not in my case with cingular, they started billing me from the beginning. i probably will have to stop emailing so many pictures or else my 5mb of gprs data will be used up in a hurry.
    morris stalk
    Originally posted by jeeter
    Dislikes or differences
    - (Dislike) Can't just start dialing a phone number and/or do a contact search from the welcome page. Depending on which setting you choose, you can only do one or the other not both. Ony my 270, when I was on the speed dial page, I could start typing some letters: First it would search my address book to see if it matched an existing contact, then it would convert the letters into their corresponding numbers if no contact was found. The 600 doesn't do this, but it only takes a few days to get used to the new way.
    - (Difference) On the 270 if I wanted to redial the last number dialed, you could just hold down the phone button for a couple of secs and it would redial that number. The 600 has a redial list that you can access from the welcome page that shows the last ten numbers called.[/B]
    These are two features that made the Treo stand out, specially the first feature wherein the Treo 180/270/300 would first search for a Contact and if none found then it would start dialling the number was an outstanding design, which I showed off on many a occassion. I fail to understand why Handspring would reomve or change such a great feature. Did someone really not like this feature or did Handspring itself forget the usefulness and brilliance of it.
    Originally posted by jeeter
    IWell that's all for now, I hope I didn't leave out any major categories!
    Jeter, thanks for taking the time to post all of your observations, it makes waiting for mine just a little harder
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Prismatic

Jeter, thanks for taking the time to post all of your observations, it makes waiting for mine just a little harder
    No problem. Sorry to intensify the agony. Stay strong. Once you get your hands on it, you'll forget all about the months and months of frustration.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Originally posted by Kan
    I loved mine until it stopped working. Would do a complete shut down and wouldn't start back up unless it was plugged into power. Once up, all of my information had been lost.

Handspring is sending me a brand new one, but thats 2-3 weeks away.
    Same thing happened to me. Only when I tried to make or receive a call on battery. Plugged in, that never happened.

As for whether or not I like it... IF the device worked completely (ie it would let me make phone calls on battery), I'd abosultely love it. The form factor, SD... everything... is just about perfect.
    Last edited by metsfan; 11/24/2003 at 06:53 PM.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Well... The 1st one I got had a horrible problem with the speakerphone. It doesnt work. What happends is when I call people, the person I am speaking too hears themselves instead of me.

They sent me a replacement I recieved today. The new unit has the same problem. Sigh...

I am on hold for support, the estimated waiting time is 50!! mins!!

** warning ** my post is negative re: Treo 600.

I got my Cingular GSM Treo 600 last Friday. It's boxed up now and ready to go back. Not super-duper disappointing, but not all that I expected.

I have a very difficult time with the screen. It seems to be the worst of any Palm color screen I've seen. Radio interference patterns, poor viewing angles, flickering, streaks, limited adjustability. The display doesn't appear to be broken, I think it is just extraordinarily cheap.

I had some time today to play with it for a few hours. I found it to be rather sluggish, particularly in Blazer. It actually felt no different than my old 300 at times. Sure it is snappier when scrolling, but in Blazer it does that hourglass thing even moreso than before. I go to a web page and it loads half a page, sits and churns and downloads 200K of something invisible, and then maybe 10 seconds later it will finally adjust the scrollbar and let me read more of the page. My Symbian phone is much much quicker while browsing -- it's no comparison at all. The weird thing is that my phone doesn't use a proxy either, I swear.

That's about it. Well there were several other things, but I don't want to become a "basher" since umm I like PalmOS. What the heck, in for a penny..

Is there an option to remember your position within the launcher? Everytime I hit home, it starts at the upper-left icon. How annoying.

Some of the Phone app screens seemed like they became dead ends. Once I entered the contacts or phone log, I couldn't get back out without launching another application. I think hitting the Phone key multiple times didn't work either. Can't remember about that.

Yeah the same thing with Blazer. Hitting the hard button didn't swap to the bookmarks like the old one. Why'd they change that? Speaking of Blazer.. wow I went to some pages and it became a trainwreck. I was in optimized mode and yet it still scrolled horizontally and darned if I could figure out how to traverse links in that weirdness.

The radio button at top is really hard to press. Once you remap the rightmost button to an application, as it should be, then you have to press the radio button for on/off. Well that sucker is awkward.

The final reason why I'm returning it though is that of reception. It's no Nokia in that regard. Boy, Nokia must have some serious antenna technology because even with an internal antenna it gets signal where the 600 with its stubby doesn't see it. I would switch to AT&T or Cingular if they had cheap flat-rate, which would solve my problem I guess. But in the end I think I will just stick with Nokia freebie phones.
    I "upgraded" to a 600 with Cingular (new job, new town, new phone number, time to jump Sprint...) from a 300.

I like the form factor. I'm a clamshell guy through-and-through since my StarTAC days, but the candy-bar 600 beats the 300's flip. It's designed to fit in one's hand really well.

I like the screen. It's brighter and crisper than the 300. I just don't like the prospect of face grease getting on it (or the screen protector, or whatever). At least the 300's screen could be kept away from your face.

I like playing MP3s through the speaker. It's better than I expected. In a similar vein, I like having expansion options. I got used to having expansion with my old Clie and I missed it when I switched to the 300.

The keyboard surprised me. Yeah, it's smaller, and the keys are more crammed in, and I make some typing mistakes, but I actually like the feel of it better than the 300. I think it's a combination of the raised dome-shape + the texture of the materials used + the tactile feedback.

I love what they did with the SMS app. Organizing messages into chats makes such perfect sense.

I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference in Blazer. There's still some latency in rendering pages, although it's certainly improved over the version on the 300.

I'm not so hot on the audio, though. Unfortunately I can't tell whether it's just Cingular, or the codecs GSM uses, or Cingular + GSM. I have a Sony Ericsson T616 that I use for comparison, but swapping out SIM cards gets annoying after awhile. Callers' audio get digitally garbled sometimes, which I should probably attribute to the wireless network and not the phone. I tend to think that the echo cancellation is poor, but again I think that's a function of the base station equipment.

I've noticed a faint but distracting buzzing sound whenever I'm on the phone. It's pulsating when I'm silent and becomes constant when I'm speaking. It's probably some interference from circuitry activating, but again it bothers me. (I'm picky. I hate even the white-noise hiss you get on some phones.) The interference, I've noticed, carries over into when I'm using the headset as well, and sometimes it'll wipe out my voice and the caller will ask me to repeat myself. I've also had the problem with the speakerphone that farzon described. Certainly disappointing, to say the least.

The problems I had above led me to email Handspring tech support, and I got an advance replacement with surprisingly quick turnaround time. I called tech support on Sunday night after the initial email and I got the replacement unit today! I'm sure some people will hate me for that. I haven't had time to see if this unit has the same problems as my original 600, but I have noticed that the faint buzzing during phone calls is present as well. Leads me to think that it's probably something I'll have to live with, but if the speakerphone also has the echo problem and the headset functionality is unusable, I'll have great difficulty deciding what to do next.

Not considering the audio problems, I love it. But with the audio problems in the equation, my enthusiasm diminishes somewhat. I'm going to give it some time and see how I feel about these problems then. The only other option for me is to go with my T616 + a Tungsten T3, but I'm loathe to go with anything other than a smartphone with keyboard because I hate hate hate texting with a numeric keypad. It's just not intuitive for me.
    I received mine last Thursday and had decided two days ago to send it back but am rethinking.

It arrived and things I liked on arrival:
    Came with a case, not great, but usable. Have been using it while trying to decide which case to buy or if I am keeping unit. None of my other handspring/phones have come with a case.

Sleek, looks beefier than 270 or 180, feels solid. Quick easy software upgrade. Interesting button arrangement.

When arrived I called and configured Cingular MMS $2.99 mo. Not bad. Three months free.

--------------------------------------------------
    After a 4 days:

LOVE
    *SMS (free for me) Love the new way that it shows entire chat. Excellent, easy to read. Wish I could get same view with SMS email. I use SMS alot to communicate with Deaf. Until someone gets real-realtime email out for Treo, the next best thing.

*Signal much stronger (I don't know why) Have not dropped one call yet and have not experienced the "dialing, then dead air syndrome".

*Turn on phone and finds Cingular signal almost instantly. I don't have to watch HS dude doing cartwheels back and forth like with the 180/270.

*Narrowness. Much sleeker looking. Not so Spock.

*5-Way switch, intuitive, rarely have to pull out Stylus

*Looks

*Blazer much obviously faster, and pages that wouldn't show before, "EBAY", now easily show.

*Size of screen nice.

*Buttons on top look and feel classier

*Ability to click on links or phone numbers in web pages, mail or SMS and dial or be delivered to the links.

*The placement bump on the "f" key. Since i generally use keys to dial makes it easier.

*MP3's - too cool for school.

Don't Like
    *Fact that there is no Bluetooth, It's almost 2004, what's up?

* I don't mind the smaller keyboard. I think I dislike the four navigation butttons phone-date-email-lock in the middle instead of the bottom. The reason they require one push and your finished. At the bottom they were a bit awkward, but typing on the keypad at the bottom makes me feel sometimes that the whole thing is going to do a backflip out of my hands onto the floor which I doubt it would survive. With the navigation at the bottom and the keyboard above it gave me quite a bit to hold onto. I miss my fourth button. I had Phone/Memo - Calendar/To Do - Internet/Calculator - SMS/Verichat (AIM) I am lost without my MEMO and my TO DO.

*Ringing. While the ring on 180/270 might have been primative, it was dynamic and loud. The 600 sings, and not so loud. The Treo ring, which was my favorite on 270/180, and the SMS ring were clear and non-obnoxious. The Classic Treo ring on the 600 sounds like the dinner bell at the Ritz-Carlton. It is a little too balletesque for me. I have downloaded some midi's but they are hard to hear. I don't mind the Treo SMS ring. It is less abrupt that the 270/180.

*Camera - hmm I have been going back and forth on this one. I have read peoples posts about its a phone, not a camera. But, after four days here is my point of view. Digital cameras have been out for a long time now. I have a $5,000 system (w/lenses), a $500 one and a $100 one. I love taking pictures. I really think they could have done better. It is very disapointing to me as it is extremly difficult to get even a decent picture without flare or extreme contrast. I wish it could have the resolution my first digital had 5 years ago.

*Soft resetting. I hav read all over this web about this and I have experienced it at least four times. Nice that the phone no longer disconnects during a soft reset. Never happened on a Treo 180/270 but did have freezes requiring soft-resets.

*No voice Dialing - It's almost 2004!! Driving laws! Hello!.

HATE:
    *No Voice Recording - hello, wake up this is a great feature.

*Experienced a Hard Reset - This is the first time I have ever experienced a non-user-initiated hard reset with any Handspring product I have (own 20). I thought leaving my 270 at home screwed up my day. Let me tell you, I will always sync daily from now on. I had a great email address at cingular, two Treo 600 phone numbers that I could SMS tech with at cingular. Gone. I hard reset and pulled all programs out of back up folder. I am giving this 600 three more weeks. If I experience one more Hard Reset again I am sending this back.

*The fact that you could dial/spell from almost anyscreen in contacts 180/270. This is a great feature and I cannot believe it is gone.

*speaker distortion - it's almost 2004??? Speaker have been made since when, the 1800's?

Keeping/Dumping? Not sure yet, will let you know. Cingular sweetened the deal today without forcing a contract. If another hard reset and they don't replace it, for sure going back.

This is my story and I am sticking to it. Hope I didn't bore you.