Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi folks,

I've been fed up with the volume buttons on the T600- so I've written an app that lets you use them to scroll (like the jog dial).

You can press both buttons for a sec to switch between 'normal' and 'scroll' modes.

Demo version attached.

When it's approved, yuou should be able to register ($3) at palmgear. Until then - there'll be an annoying popup every now and then.

If you want to just register using paypal - pm me.

Feedback appreciated!

PS
    this is my second app, I decided to learn C a few weeks ago so I could write an alarm app that actually made a noise! If anyone's still hunting for a simple alarm app that rings through the keyguard then let me know.

I've written this for my Treo600 and it works without crashing for me. This is just a hobby though - so no promises beyond that.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cool! I haven't quite yet installed it, but this sounds like a fantastic idea.

One thing I don't know if this app can do is when I'm on a call, use them as volume controls, but if I'm not, use them as scroll buttons by default. That would be most excellent. Perhaps as an added feature...? (My apologies if it already does this.)
  3.    #3  
    it doesn't change function based on whether or not there's a call live as I haven't yet worked out how to tell.

You can however switch modes at any time (without opening the app) - so it's fairly easy to switch into 'normal' mode and adjust call volume.

thanks for the comment!

PS - if anyone knows a function to tell if there's a phone call active - please let me know. The only way I can see would be to keep track of the events starting and stopping calls.
    Great idea. However, I have a bit of a suggestion for you. For me its slightly difficult to hold the two volume buttons down for the correct amount of time without accidentally changing the volume. Would it be possible to maybe have the Option Button and one of the volume keys switch the mode? And if thats possible, it would be really cool if it was possible to map pressing both volume buttons to the center button.

Oh and one other question. Is there a reason its so much slower to move the cursor with the volume buttons than with the 5-way pad?
    Sounds cool but I am not all that in need of a scroll tool. What about making this an assignable button tool. The ^*$*$% keyboard heads at Hspring have really cropped off a lot of use by decreasing the conventional keys avail for programming and I would like having the ability to assign keys to special functions w/o having to always go through the phone app so I can use the D control.

Anothe possibility would be using these buttons to be able to switch back and forth between apps like the old switch hack,
    How about making it to increasing or decreasing the backlight?
  7.    #7  
    Some of them are still somewhat beyond my programming ability.

configurability (sp?) is the big gap in my skills at the moment - but I should get that cracked in the next couple of weeks.

Using the option key to switch modes is a great suggestion (opt+vol up btn = vol up, vol up btn = scroll up) I should be able to do that quickly.

Using both buttons to signify a centre press will be tougher (as you can tell from the current app - I haven't figured out how to get a really clean double button press. I could do it - but the issue of spare up/downs would be more of a problem when you were trying to select something)

I really like the switch hack idea. - should be doable in a few weeks as well.

Thanks for the comments - keep them coming.

And look out for the updated version which lets you turn off that annoying LED as well...

Cheers...
    Have yoy made the alarm app yet?

A simple alarmclock that works through keyguard would be awesome....

-Ken
    after my Treo rebooted severl times today from a beta Snappermail upgrade, I noticed that your app was "enabled" yet not working. So I disabled & then re-enabled it and it works once again.

Can you set it to re-enable itself after a soft reset (if it is enabled prior to the reset)?
    yep.
  10.    #10  
    now available

renamed to treo600 butler

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...7&prodID=52726

re the reset issue - I'll put that on the list to work on!

what's happening is that the program remembers that it is enabled - but the event interrupt has been cleared by the reset.

disabling and re-enabling will fix that as a work around.

I'll put the alarm up when I get a moment...

Keep the comments coming

Thanks
    There is another freeware product available which works quite well: VolumerRocker

It will also turn your volume control into a scroll button (except when you're in the phone app - obviously).

It can also mimick a Clie/Tungston D-Pad which can cause some apps which don't recognise the 600 D-Pad to suddenly recognise it.

I tried it in PtimLog (which doesn't recognise the Treo D-pad) and suddenly I can zoom around the screen without taking out the stylus.

Happy dude
    www.gsmworld.com
    Great!

How about controlling the LED to flash faster and continuously if you have voicemail (green) or an SMS (red) waiting?
    Cyril, You read my mind!!!!
    How about controlling the LED to flash faster and continuously if you have voicemail (green) or an SMS (red) waiting?
    That would be righteous!!!
  14.    #14  
    I gusee you guys have different ideas about the LED - I just want it off!

Will definitely add the VM/SMS idea to the list. It's going to be a little while though..

Thanks for all the suggestions!
    confusedvorlon
    If it's no trouble, can you have the led send morse code? SMS "SMS" for sms and "you have Mail" for email...

YES I AM KIDDING..

Have a good one and happy programing!!!

So I take it you find the LED obnoxoius....
  16.    #16  
    Latest version

allows you to use the volume buttons as a switch hack.

much better useability -
    normal volume controls by using option + volume
    switch between 'scroll mode' and 'switcher' mode with **** + volume up

(I have other ideas for shift+volume down!)

i.e. I've got rid of the need to hold both buttons down to change modes.

So - please tell people about it - and please register!

Thanks,

PS - switcher doen't yet ignore the application launcher - but it will!
    PPS - yes I find the LED obnoxious - particularly when I'm trying to sleep! But I won't forget your requests regarding SMS & Voicemail.
  17.    #17  
    not sure where the stars came from

I was trying to write shift + volume up
    (or if that gets censored again)
    S H I F T + volume up.
    the stars came from a typo you made.

you tried to type shiFt but the website saw the word without the F in shiFt, so it censored it out.

If you want to go back and edit your post two posts ago for clarity, I will just delete this part of this message.

on another note enitrely, great program. I just wish someone could teach the volume rocker to turn down pTunes volume so when I am listening to MP3's (in the background of course!) I could use the volume rocker no matter what program I am in. (except if a phone call is in progress of course- in which case the way it works now is fine)

p.s.- your app rocks.
    Originally posted by crazyray

on another note enitrely, great program. I just wish someone could teach the volume rocker to turn down pTunes volume so when I am listening to MP3's (in the background of course!) I could use the volume rocker no matter what program I am in. (except if a phone call is in progress of course- in which case the way it works now is fine)

p.s.- your app rocks.
    VolumeRocker

It does the volume thing but only in PTunes and a lot more like allowing you to move around applications which are not Treo D-Pad aware - when in the application, just hold down the center button and hey presto - the screen is active so D-Pad away. No more stylus!
    www.gsmworld.com
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I tried Volume Rocker and was hoping it would cause the volume up and down buttons to work like the page up / down buttons in the "standard palms" (e.g. I had an m505 before the Treo). However, it seems to just do what the up and down buttons on the 5 Way already does. So my questions:

- am I doing something wrong or is this the designed behavior

- if this is the designed behavior, is there any way (or any application) that allows you to page up or down. I find the lack of this to be a real pain, as the 5 way only goes up or down 1 line and there are many time (such as in Calendar, Memo Pad, etc.) where you want to scroll to the next page. Right now the only way I know to do this is to hit the scroll bar on the touchscreen...there must be a better way!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast