Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just ran into this website with tips on how to use the camera. Seems like with a little patience and practice we can get great photos.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    So then, it sounds like the solution is:

1- Live in Manhattan, where all those buildings are going to bounce light around for you, giving you nice, diffused indirect lighting.

2- Drop everything down to 320x240

Does anyone know for a fact that that camera actually has all the sensors to do 640x480? Given how pixelated the pictures look at that resolution, I'm seriously suspecting they have a camera with lower capabilities in there, and they use software to crank it up to 6x4...

Anyone else wish that they could get a normal stereo headphone jack instead of a camera?
    Originally posted by jsabo
    So then, it sounds like the solution is:

1- Live in Manhattan, where all those buildings are going to bounce light around for you, giving you nice, diffused indirect lighting.

2- Drop everything down to 320x240

Does anyone know for a fact that that camera actually has all the sensors to do 640x480? Given how pixelated the pictures look at that resolution, I'm seriously suspecting they have a camera with lower capabilities in there, and they use software to crank it up to 6x4...

Anyone else wish that they could get a normal stereo headphone jack instead of a camera?
    Wireless Doc's suggestions are good and you are missing out on his knowledge that he wanted to share with all of us. Somebody wih good intentions tries to give you an easy way to enjoy the crappy Treo camera and you seem to be still looking for a problem with that solution.

Who cares if the sensors are in fact those for 640X480 or that it should have a normal headphone jack. What you got in there is it. At his point of the game, if I have my t-mobile Treo already, I'd make the most of my investment.

Wireless Doc, I look forward to your next installment. I bookmarked your page already. Many Thanks!
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    No, I'm looking to expand on his solution.

If the camera's not really 640x480, then I'm going to get the best image out of it by shrinking the picture back to the real resolution at which it was captured.
    Originally posted by jsabo
    they use software
    Nope, there's no software in the camera, pal! ...Wait a minute.

Also: install Manhattan, problem solved. LOL.

wireless-doc does mightly kicking of the *** with the Treo camera -- I second the looking forward to installment action.
    Originally posted by cash70
    I just ran into this website with tips on how to use the camera. Seems like with a little patience and practice we can get great photos.

cash70
    This guy's photos were either taken with a 1.3 megapixel camera or else he has the only Treo 600 ever built with a good camera! Don't fool yourself into thinking you can actually take decent photos with your phones. Ansel Adams would have killed himself in a minute if he'd ever had to take a photo with a Treo 600...

Originally posted by The Chupacabra
    Ansel Adams would have killed himself in a minute if he'd ever had to take a photo with a Treo 600...
    Pfft! Ansel Adams invented the Treo 600 camera -- that's why he cut off his ear. Shows how much you know, goat-sucker.
    Originally posted by snerdy

Pfft! Ansel Adams invented the Treo 600 camera -- that's why he cut off his ear. Shows how much you know, goat-sucker.
    O.K. ... I'm no art critic here ... but I believe Ansel Adams had his ears. It was Vincent Van Gogh (a painter in the 1800s) that cut off his ear.
    ~ShooterX~
    - President George W. Bush

Originally posted by cash70

cash70
    WOW. This blows me away. Unbelievable difference between this stuff and the pics your average Treo Joe posts....

This just proves my point that someone who understands composition and can shoot great photography regardless of the camera.

Uh, by the way, is there any way to verify or corroborate the story that these were in fact taken with a Treo 600 (with no image editing for that matter)?????????
    These are definitely done with a Treo. I can achieve the same results using proper lighting. Lighting is the most important thing.. that and keeping your hand still.

Also, by shrinking the pictures down to 320 from 640, you are effectively removing some of the .jpg compression/lossy techniques, thus giving the appearance of higher quality.
    Do you shrink the size on the treo on desktop? And how?
    sigh. I meant do you alter the size on the treo OR on the desktop? someone needs to proofread my stuff!
    His suggestions work well. With the right lighting you can get decent pics. Here is a shot on a cloudy day, sun at my back and only reduced to 320x240. No other adjustments.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    One more...
    Okay, I read all the posts concerning the camera, viewed, with disbelief many, many photos purported to be taken with the 600, and just chalked up my AWFUL AWFUL crappy pictures to, oh well, at least all my other T600 features rock!

Then, on a whim, I took a picture of my 3 year old in the office today, and there is 100% improvement. I WISH I could show you how awful the others have come out for comparison, but here is one that I thought was not half bad.
    These tips help.

Here is one I tried even in bad contrasting light:
    Here is another of a nice mountain view (I love it up here):
    Were the last few pics posted reduced to half size like the awesome posted at the beginning of this thread? These new ones look fuzzy and more typical of Treo pics. The pics at the top of the thread are INCREDIBLY sharp...
    Originally posted by snerdy

No way could Ansel Adams have invented the Treo 600 camera. EVERYONE knows he only used digital cameras with real CCDs rather than CMOS sensors. That's probably the first thing they teach you in Photography School.

By the way, you're embarassing yourself again, Snerdy. You should know it was Picasso that cut off his ear, apparently in a violent rage after he'd spent a month trying in vain to get a single properly exposed photo with his Treo 600.

It's all about composition, lighting and skill.
    Here are a few shots I took with my Treo 600 today:

One

Two - Note my masterful control of the blue Treo 600 effects.

Self portrait

Home
    Last edited by The Chupacabra; 11/26/2003 at 05:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast