1.    #1  
    I just wanted to know if I would be able to receive email in real time (i.e., as it's sent by my business colleagues) like the Blackberry? I don't want to have to wait in intervals of 5 or 10 minutes to receive a message if I am expecting an important email within the a minute or less.

Also, is SnapperMail compatible with the Mac (OS X operating system)? Do you guys have any opinion on this software? I will also need to open up attachments like Microsoft documents (Excel, Word & PowerPoint) in my emails...will SnapperMail be able to do this or would I have to add another software? I am currently in business for myself and am subscribed to a cable company for Internet access (Adelphia). I also have a business email account that I hook up to via my partner's email server...he also is subscribed through a cable company (Comcast).

I look forward to your assistance. Thanks.

Regards,
    Snoop
    Work hard...play hard!
    Regarding Snappermail, there really is no desktop-type conduit for Snappermail (yet), thus the issue of mac compatibity shouldn't even be an issue. Furthermore, yes you can open edit M$ documents using Dataviz Documents to go 6 which interfaces nicely with snappermail....

As in regards to real time solutions...Basically, if you don't want a synchronized polling solution like snappermail, there many other options like Good, Seven, Sprint biz Connection etc. Do a search for these topics and you'll find tons of info. Finally, there's also another option to use something called SMS-triggered pull using an freeware app called treohelper. This is what I use w/snappermail and it works very well imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Gfunkmagic,

Thanks for your immediate response and insight. Do you know whether Documents to Go 6 will have difficulty in receiving Microsoft Office documents from another Mac?

Also, tell me more about this Treo helper...how does that work and how and where do I download it? Keep in mind, I'm not a techie...Will I have to pay for it? Finally, you said it works great for you...i take it you mean that you receive email in real time, right? Does the Treo 600 with this treo helper alert you every time you receive email?

Again, thanks for all your help. I'll look forward to your response.

regards,
    Snoop
    Work hard...play hard!
    Try doing a forum search. These questons come up all the time from new users and there are many worthwhile answers to be found on the forum.
    Gfunk, I also look forward to how you like Treohelper. Thanks for the post!
    Regards,
    Tom
    If you have IMAP email, and you are mainly interested in reading and replying to messages quickly (and without attachments), Chatter is a good solution. I typically get email on my Treo before it arrives at my desktop (checking every 2 minutes).

Marc
  7.    #7  
    Gfunkmagic:

A couple of more questions...first, does the Documents to Go 6 support Microsoft Entourage for Mac? Also, what do you think of Quickoffice software instead of Documents to Go 6 and is Fastmail a supplement to Snappermail or a different option to it?

Thanks again for your help.

Snoop
    Work hard...play hard!
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Originally posted by snoopdawg
    Gfunkmagic:

A couple of more questions...first, does the Documents to Go 6 support Microsoft Entourage for Mac? Also, what do you think of Quickoffice software instead of Documents to Go 6 and is Fastmail a supplement to Snappermail or a different option to it?

Thanks again for your help.

Snoop
    Docs to go has nothing to do with Entourage. It is strictly for handling Office documents. But you can sync with Entourage (instead of Palm Desktop) and i've been doing this for a few years now.

If you don't want to wait for snappermail to check your mail, just hit the send/receive button!! I don't have my snappermail setup to auto check, i just hit the send/receive button whenever i want to check my mail
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    I must correct your misperception that you should expect to get email within a minute or two of it's being sent.

What most people do not realize is that email does not travel from point A to point B in a straight line. It travels through potentially several mail servers on the Internet, and each hop adds something to the delay in receiving it. Take a look at the Internet mail headers of samples of email you receive outside of the Treo. Each "Received from" line represents a mail server or relay through which your email passed.

I respond almost daily to complaints in my company about delays in getting email that turn out to be a bottleneck occurring on some server that lies between the sending and the receiving ones.

FYI: all these hops are also what makes email a very unsecure way to send information so caveat utilitor applies (let the user beware).
    Lotus Notes is the worst e-mail client ever made.

They make us use it at work.
    Snoop,

The simple answer to your "like Blackberry" question is "no".
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    One way I simulate getting emails pushed to my treo is to autoforward (keep a copy) all emails to my messaging email address. If you have unlimited data or free incoming SMS messages this shouldn't be cost prohibitive. That way, when new mail arrives at my actual email address, I get the first 160 chars (SMS truncates) on my treo so I can decide whether I want to use a mail program to actually download the message.