Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 204
  1. #101  
    Never got this on my 270, but on the latest KC600 (v.05), if you long press the "P" key or double-click it, depending on how you have KC600 configured, you will shortcut to the Brightness/Contrast Pref Utility. (You don't have to be in a text field.)

    This is what happens for me:

    1. Press "P", I get "p"
    2. Continue Pressing, I get "P"
    3. Continue Pressing, I get the Brightness/Contrast screen.

    It all happens very fast, obviously, so if you want only the "P" you have to back off the key right away. Nice.
    Last edited by elysian9; 12/02/2003 at 08:26 AM.
  2. #102  
    Weird stuff with 0.5
    I did a OTA DL of Keycaps600 with Handzipper about 4 times and the version id still says 0.4

    What version does yours say?

    I have double click set to option 1 and hold down set to capItal E. I can't get the number "0" by double click. I can only get it by the sequence "option" then "0".

    Do I have version 0.5?
  3. #103  
    Originally posted by newtreouser
    Weird stuff with 0.5
    I did a OTA DL of Keycaps600 with Handzipper about 4 times and the version id still says 0.4

    What version does yours say?

    I have double click set to option 1 and hold down set to capItal E. I can't get the number "0" by double click. I can only get it by the sequence "option" then "0".

    Do I have version 0.5?
    I have the same settings. If you hold the "0" key you should get a "0," albeit after a system tone. I installed the latest version. I think it's v0.5.
  4. #104  
    I actually really like getting the p -> P ---> Brightness/Contrast...very nifty!

    -Rob
  5. #105  
    On my 600, the "p" key acts as a "previous page" key in blazer
  6. #106  
    I am beginning to really like the version that uses the triple hold. I cannot get the double click to work right in everyday usage. I usually have to keep edititng when there are two successive letters like in my name: plessdude. Its really a toss up right now...can't wait to see version 1.0 which hopefully will unify both sets of features! Thanks to both of you developers for spending the time to get this thing working...open source at work is a niffty thing to see happening before your eyes!
  7.    #107  
    Regarding the double clicking in 0.5 not working right: it's related to the system sounds. Go back to 0.4 or turn system sounds off, and it'll work fine.

    I'll see if I can get it fixed. Basically, I'm going to try to disable the sound that plays if you press Alt when theres no list to popup.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
  8. #108  
    Originally posted by metsfan
    Regarding the double clicking in 0.5 not working right: it's related to the system sounds. Go back to 0.4 or turn system sounds off, and it'll work fine.

    I'll see if I can get it fixed. Basically, I'm going to try to disable the sound that plays if you press Alt when theres no list to popup.
    Thanks Metsfan for the reply.

    I had already gone back to v0.4 as soon as v0.5 was acting weird, so I won't bother reinstalling v0.5 to try turning system sound off.

    Hope you can fix it though. Would love to have it working perfectly like it was on my Treo 270.

    Many thanks for your efforts.

    Cheers.

    Chow.
  9. #109  
    Originally posted by plessdude
    I am beginning to really like the version that uses the triple hold. I cannot get the double click to work right in everyday usage. I usually have to keep edititng when there are two successive letters like in my name: plessdude. Its really a toss up right now...can't wait to see version 1.0 which hopefully will unify both sets of features! Thanks to both of you developers for spending the time to get this thing working...open source at work is a niffty thing to see happening before your eyes!
    The real thanks goes to Metsfan for open sourcing this program in the first place. Doing so can really speed up development for a new platform like the Treo 600.

    BTW, version 0.5-rjw does unify both sets of features (it's based on the latest release from Metsfan). I expect that Metsfan will start to incorporate the long hold changes now that he has fixed the Alt key (and I must say the way he fixed it was quite elegant).

    I personally can't see why anyone would stay with double clicking now that long hold is available. Double clicking is so problematic with double letters (such as in your name), that I personally just couldn't deal with it. Now that you can long hold, and choose the order (lower -> upper -> option or lower -> option -> upper) who needs double click ?

    Actually, I just found another bug in version 0.5-rjw - if you select hold down option, then you can never get to a capital P (as it goes to the contrast screen first). Hold down capital doesn't have the problem (it correctly goes p -> P -> contrast). I'm not sure what the best solution to this one is. Maybe I'll use hold down option with a short timeout, and double click capital with a really long timeout (so I can get that capital P).

    -- Rod
  10. #110  
    Keep up the good work. I for one am showing my appreciation by donating 10 bucks.
    This little program may not be perfect yet, but it does, along with the effort being put into getting it just right, warrant some kind of payment, IMO.
  11.    #111  
    I should have the workaround for the system sounds fixed by late tonight. I probably won't release until I've merged in the other changes.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
  12. #112  
    Originally posted by rwhitby
    Actually, I just found another bug in version 0.5-rjw - if you select hold down option, then you can never get to a capital P (as it goes to the contrast screen first). Hold down capital doesn't have the problem (it correctly goes p -> P -> contrast). I'm not sure what the best solution to this one is. Maybe I'll use hold down option with a short timeout, and double click capital with a really long timeout (so I can get that capital P).

    -- Rod
    Why not make it permanently "normal -> capital -> option -> alt*"

    Also, some may argue to make the sequence an option, but I feel that it is a reasonable tradeoff given how many potential problems it could sidestep.

    * Is it possible to add this feature in? I think this would be another good feature to add. I find getting to the bottom corner keys too cumbersome and is only possible after sacrificing a bit of my hold on the device.
  13. #113  
    Originally posted by rwhitby
    ... Actually, I just found another bug in version 0.5-rjw - if you select hold down option, then you can never get to a capital P (as it goes to the contrast screen first). Hold down capital doesn't have the problem (it correctly goes p -> P -> contrast). I'm not sure what the best solution to this one is. Maybe I'll use hold down option with a short timeout, and double click capital with a really long timeout (so I can get that capital P).

    -- Rod
    Hmm, I'm having a look at your version and if you slow down the hold time, I get p>P>contrast. Works quite well. (No double-click.)
  14. #114  
    Originally posted by rudychow


    Why not make it permanently "normal -> capital -> option -> alt*"

    Also, some may argue to make the sequence an option, but I feel that it is a reasonable tradeoff given how many potential problems it could sidestep.

    * Is it possible to add this feature in? I think this would be another good feature to add. I find getting to the bottom corner keys too cumbersome and is only possible after sacrificing a bit of my hold on the device.
    The only problem I see with that is that the alternate list for 'a' or 'A' is different from the alternate list for '&' - so you could never get away from needing a separate Alt key which you can hit either after the 'a' or after the '&'.

    -- Rod
  15. #115  
    Originally posted by elysian9


    Hmm, I'm having a look at your version and if you slow down the hold time, I get p>P>contrast. Works quite well. (No double-click.)
    You must have it on Hold Down Capital. The problem only occurs with Hold Down Option.

    -- Rod
  16. #116  
    Originally posted by rwhitby


    The only problem I see with that is that the alternate list for 'a' or 'A' is different from the alternate list for '&' - so you could never get away from needing a separate Alt key which you can hit either after the 'a' or after the '&'.

    -- Rod
    Yep. You're right there mate.
  17. #117  
    Hello metsfan & rwhitby,
    Thanks for your hard work to make life with the Treo much better.

    Any chance of implementing the "long hold" option for us non-600 users? I sure would like to use it on my Treo 90

    Thanks again.

    ////////////////////////

    "I personally can't see why anyone would stay with double clicking now that long hold is available. Double clicking is so problematic with double letters (such as in your name), that I personally just couldn't deal with it. Now that you can long hold, and choose the order (lower -> upper -> option or lower -> option -> upper) who needs double click ?"
  18. #118  
    To metsfan & rwhitby:

    Both you guys are knowledgeable about Palm OS programming. How about an app to select text by "holding down shift + dpad"? Is it possible to create such an app?
  19. #119  
    Originally posted by rudychow
    To metsfan & rwhitby:

    Both you guys are knowledgeable about Palm OS programming. How about an app to select text by "holding down shift + dpad"? Is it possible to create such an app?
    I second that. The last of the major missing features of the Treos. Having this would complete the text-entry "suite":

    1. KeyCaps
    2. TextPlus
    3. Textras
    4. (SelecText)? I promise to donate!
  20. #120  
    Originally posted by rwhitby


    I personally can't see why anyone would stay with double clicking now that long hold is available. Double clicking is so problematic with double letters (such as in your name), that I personally just couldn't deal with it. Now that you can long hold, and choose the order (lower -> upper -> option or lower -> option -> upper) who needs double click ?

    -- Rod
    Ahhhh... never assume that other people would not have any use for double click....example:

    I use a 3rd party security program to lock my unit and it accepts keyboard password entries. This program will unlock my phone without having to press enter/confirm during password entry. To speed up password entry therefore, I may have characters repeated multiple times in my password and all I need to do then is hold down the relevant key, so that the characters will repeat and unlock my phone quickly. Eg, If my password is "etttttttttt" and no one will guess this, then all I need to do is type 'e' and then hold on to letter 't' until my phone unlocks. That's quick.

    With Keycaps however, changing the 'hold' option will cause letters and numbers to NOT repeat during password entry.

    Hence I still need the double-click option.

    Sorry for the looooong explanation....

Posting Permissions