Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1.    #81  
    I'll take them immediately...

I'm working on changing the way the Alt key works, and getting rid of the delay before it pops up the list, and then changes the character when it's double clicked or held down.

I've pretty much got it worked out except I need a way to know if the list is already displayed. I've posted a question on the Handspring developer forum to see if there's a way to do that.

If I can get that going, it should take care of all the craziness with that damn key. It woulda been so much simpler if they just made it a separate key. There's so much empty space on that bottom row
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Originally posted by metsfan
    I can't seem to find any way for my software to tell the difference between 0 and Opt+0. I *can* have it detect Option-Lock, and will make it not pop the list up if 0 is hit when that is set, which should fix the problems with applications that auto-set it.

But I still can't see any way to tell if Option is set when Alt/0 is pressed. I'll keep looking.
    Will HsGrfGetStateExt's tempShift parameter give the information you need ?

-- Rod
    I'll take them immediately...
    I've sent you a PM to get your email address.

The .PRC file is attached for anyone who wants to try out the long-hold or triple click features. Be aware that the Alt key may be broken in this version. Also be aware that as soon as Metsfan releases a version with this functionality (either by including my changes, or making corresponding changes himself), I will be removing this version.

-- Rod
    Attached Files Attached Files
    To rwhitby:

Tried the version you posted.
    Must say that it is along the lines of what I had posted about earlier.

Just a note: after invoking the press & hold function, the d-pad navigation seems to have slowed down. I did a soft reset and (with keycaps600 still enabled) the d-pad speed is as normal. However, once I invoked the press & hold, the d-pad slows down again. Perhaps you and metsfan might be able to fix this?
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    First let me say thanks to Mets Fan for this awesome app.

Is it my imagination or with v0.4 the delay for the double click seems to be shorter than in the inital version. I have it set to 500 ms and it seems to be way too quick and slows my typing. I seem to recall in the inital version I had it set shorter and it was not as much as a problem.

Any one else notice this? I will install the v0.1 and see...

Perhaps you can up the highest setting to above 500ms.

Thanks,
    David

UPDATE:

I just installed v0.1 of KeyCaps600 and the double click set to 300ms IS longer then the double click set to 500ms in v0.4

This may be due to a bug in either version, but I find that the delay is better suited for me in v0.1

-d
    Originally posted by rwhitby

I've sent you a PM to get your email address.

The .PRC file is attached for anyone who wants to try out the long-hold or triple click features....
    -- Rod
    Is it possible that you can have the delay time between caps and alt characters set to the exact same register as the inital time set? I.E. I have a 300ms delat set up to hold down a key. It then rolls to Caps, then Alt. The time between Caps and alt is something you set to like 100ms or so. I'd like to be able to set that on my own.
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Originally posted by starrwulfe

Is it possible that you can have the delay time between caps and alt characters set to the exact same register as the inital time set?
    I've currently set it to half the initial delay. The reason is that (as rudychow noticed) is that the repeat delay also applies to all other keys (including navigation keys). This can probably be fixed, but I was too lazy at the time to do it.

Consider the file I posted as a proof of concept. I'm not going to tweak it until I sync up with metsfan and contribute to what he is doing rather than going off on my own any further.

-- Rod
  8.    #88  
    OK... I think I have that damn Alt/0 key worked out.

Tell me if this sounds reasonable:

First, if you've hit the blue button once and have the temp shift on, it will just do a 0. If you've hit it twice and have num lock, or an app does auto-numlock, it will do a 0 and stay on. If you hold it down, it will just keep repeating 0s.

If you have double click set to option:
    If the previous character does NOT have an alternate list, hitting it once will do nothing, and twice within the double click time will put a 0.
    If the previous character DOES have an alternate list, hitting it once will immediately bring up the alternate list. Hitting it again within the timeout will close the list and put a 0. If you wait the timeout, then there's some slight weirdness if you then double click it with the list still open, but I think it's acceptable (for now.)

If you have hold down set to option (same as above, really):
    If the previous character does NOT have an alternate list, hitting it once will do nothing, and holding it long enough will put a 0.
    If the previous character DOES have an alternate list, hitting it once will immediately popup the list, and continuing to hold it will close the list and put a 0. Again, if you hit it once, let go, then hit it and hold it with the alternate list still open it will not do what you want. But that's the best I can do at this point.

This change allows it to work normally for Treo quick links in Blazer, and makes it more sane, really.

Let me know if this sounds good, and then I'll put out one more release before I start merging rwhitby's changes in.

I want to propose a scheme where the '0' and 'alt' functions are effectively swapped on the key, but the 'alt' function can only be accessed via a double click or hold down of the key - everything else just gives a simple 0.

First, if you've hit the blue button once and have the temp shift on, it will just do a 0. If you've hit it twice and have num lock, or an app does auto-numlock, it will do a 0 and stay on. If you hold it down, it will just keep repeating 0s.
    That's good, except (as identified below) a hold down should pop-up the alternate list in the scenarios outlined below. It's very rare that you ever need to auto-repeat zeros.

If the previous character does NOT have an alternate list, hitting it once will do nothing, and twice within the double click time will put a 0.
    If the previous character DOES have an alternate list, hitting it once will immediately bring up the alternate list. Hitting it again within the timeout will close the list and put a 0. If you wait the timeout, then there's some slight weirdness if you then double click it with the list still open, but I think it's acceptable (for now.)

If the previous character does NOT have an alternate list, hitting it once will do nothing, and holding it long enough will put a 0.
    If the previous character DOES have an alternate list, hitting it once will immediately popup the list, and continuing to hold it will close the list and put a 0. Again, if you hit it once, let go, then hit it and hold it with the alternate list still open it will not do what you want. But that's the best I can do at this point.
    I would like the following:

Hitting it once will put a 0. Hitting it again within the timeout will remove the zero, and pop-up the alternate list. Subsequent hits while the alternate list is up will progress down the list.

Hitting it once will put a 0. Holding it down for a single timeout will remove the zero and pop-up the alternate list. Keeping it held down for subsequent timeouts will NOT progress along the list (e.g. the keydowns will be dropped). Letting it go and hitting it again will progress down the alternate list.
    Holding it down while the alternate list is up will progress along the list (as long as you let it go between popping up the list and then holding it down to progress along the list). If this is too hard, then dropping auto-repeat whilst the list is up is also an acceptable alternative.

The motivation here is the theory that Alt is used far less frequently than '0', and when you do use it, you need to look for the right character in the list anyway (who remembers the alternate lists?), so make '0' the single click action, and make 'alt' the double click or hold down action.

How's that sound ?

-- Rod
  10.    #90  
    The real problem I have with that is it makes 0 different than the rest of the numbers. I think it should stay consistent: If it's double click (or hold down ) to put a 1, it should be double click (or hold down) to put a 0.

Otherwise, I think it'll be really confusing for anyone using it who hasn't been involved in this conversation.
    The real problem I have with that is it makes 0 different than the rest of the numbers. I think it should stay consistent: If it's double click (or hold down ) to put a 1, it should be double click (or hold down) to put a 0.

Otherwise, I think it'll be really confusing for anyone using it who hasn't been involved in this conversation.
    I can see your point. I guess I'll have to try it your way and then reprogram my own personal copy if I don't like it :-)

-- Rod
    My problem is when I'm entering a phone number or zip code into a web page or another app. I usually start by hitting the blue (opt) button twice to get Num-lock. If I've got "0" in the string, and I always do, I'll get the option menu, which is not what I want.

Are you suggesting that I set my "Hold down Delay" to the minimum, say 100ms? I currently have it at 300ms.

Thanks.

-Bill, former RIM BlackBerry user
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
  13.    #93  
    Originally posted by BillPetro
    My problem is when I'm entering a phone number or zip code into a web page or another app. I usually start by hitting the blue (opt) button twice to get Num-lock. If I've got "0" in the string, and I always do, I'll get the option menu, which is not what I want.

Are you suggesting that I set my "Hold down Delay" to the minimum, say 100ms? I currently have it at 300ms.

Thanks.

-Bill, former RIM BlackBerry user
    The forthcoming release will fix this problem. If num lock is selected, hitting 0/Alt will just give you 0.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    I have kc600 configured to do nothing on double tap and to capitalize on press and hold. Using the 0.4 version of keycaps600, I find that I can get the zero character by holding the option button and hitting the 0/alt key (neither the option key "stickiness" nor the option-lock seem to work with that key). I find this to be a better option than going through the alt menu.

Of course, a fix appears to be on the way, so the point may soon be moot. Great utility otherwise!
    Last edited by sbono13; 12/01/2003 at 07:48 PM.
    Originally posted by rwhitby
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can see your point. I guess I'll have to try it your way and then reprogram my own personal copy if I don't like it :-)

-- Rod

I think I'm with metsfan on this one. As I'm double-pressing my zip code into a form, I'm not going to want to stop and think that the zero is just a single-press. Let's keep all the numbers the same.
  16.    #96  
    Version 0.5 is up. http://www.geekandproud.net/software/

Fixes a bunch of the weirdness with the damn Alt/0 key.
  17.    #97  
    By the way, I'm still looking for someone to make me a nice icon for it.

Hi Metsfan,

Just tried version 0.5, but the Alt/0 key is behaving weirder than v0.4.

My settings are such that I use double-click for 'Option: 1' and hold-down for 'nothing: eeee..'.

What happens in v0.5 is that the number 0 will only appear on double-clicking 0 key when the immediately preceding character has a 'drop-down special character/number' list. For eg. If if have typed letter 'f' and double-clicked on 0 key, then the number 0 will appear as expected. However, If I had typed the letter 'g' instead and then double-clicked on 0 key, nothing will happen except for system sound beeping.

v0.4 did not have this problem, I don't think.

Thanks for your wonderful program. Hope it gets fixed soon....

Cheers.

Chow
    Last edited by cywong; 12/02/2003 at 03:44 AM.
    Originally posted by cywong

What happens in v0.5 is that the number 0 will only appear on double-clicking 0 key when the immediately preceding character has a 'drop-down special character/number' list. For eg. If if have typed letter 'f' and double-clicked on 0 key, then the number 0 will appear as expected. However, If I had typed the letter 'g' instead and then double-clicked on 0 key, nothing will happen except for system sound beeping.
    There seems to be a problem where if you double-click 0 too fast then it doesn't register. Seems to have something to do with the second click being before the end of the beep. Try slowing down the double click a bit and that seems to work.

I'd say this might be a hard one for Metsfan to fix - I couldn't see anything wrong with the code.

-- Rod

... and here is my corresponding long-hold version (0.5-rjw) ...

I have only done my modifications for Hold Down (both Capital and Option) - I haven't touched Double Click (so no triple click is available).

I'll wait until Metsfan reviews and incorporates my changes (I've emailed them to you Metsfan) before I let him decide whether triple click is something he wants in KeyCaps600.

I personally now only use Hold Down Option, so a short hold does option and a long hold does capital. Either a short or long hold on the Alt key gives a '0'.

The only latent problem with my changes is the auto-repeat rate (which stays at the slow rate if you try and navigate immediately after either a short or long hold).

-- Rod
    Attached Files Attached Files
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast