1.    #1  
    Well, couple of day in on the new Treo 600, and its looking pretty good. Except for my aviation software collection.

On my Treo 180 I was using the software below, with the attendant results on the Treo600:

AOPA eDirectory (all the info on all US airports)
    not compatible with Palm OS 5

CoPilot
    Crashing during waypoint searches on the 600

Av8r W&B
    Crashes on the 600, product no longer supported

Logbook Pro Palm Companion
    Not yet compatible, but they're working on it

AvTimer
    works fine, but its just a big stopwatch.

So I'm rather SOL for aviation applications; I don't have an airport guide, flight planner, weight&balance app, or logbook. But I can time approaches. Anybody have some SW that works, or do I need a PocketPC (argh!) for the cockpit?

-Curt
    This is my first PDA and I've been looking for some good aviation software to utilize. Good to see there are other pilots here.
    Regards,
    Tom
    Hey guys..... another pilot here... Have you checked out this site?

http://www.palmflying.com/index.html

lots of flying palm apps...

Enjoy!!!

Tailwinds.....
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Try this software. I think it will meet all your needs. I have this one and it seems to right up your alley.

http://www.palmflying.com/fcomp.html
    How about GPS (backup) Navigation with a Serial GPS like Mapopolus has for auto applications? I'm trying to figure out whether to buy a Treo 600, or wait until Sprint supports the Samsung i700.
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    A "mouse" GPS. Here is a link for it. I have not tried it yey but you could probaly email them.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Yes but, (pardon me I'm a newbie), can you feed this data into some sort of aviation navigation program? Will Palm let you "multitask" like the Palm PC's will? Also, what is the best product to purchase for an aviation back up?

Apparently the serial connector for the Treo 600 is different from the earlier models and the old serial / mouse type GPS will not work without the compatible connection.

Thanks,
    Prof.

P.S. While we are talking aviation, what does everyone here fly? I'm a ATR Capt. with ASA. Also stay current in GA with a PA30 and M20C. Looking for a V-Tail Bonanza, or 182RG to replace the Mooney.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/....cfm?gnum=3054 <<-- Couple of airplane pics.
    Good to see all these pilots!
    I was just hired by FlightSafety (Vero Beach) to instruct and am currently waiting in the pool.
    I've flown the small stuff; C152, C172, Cherokee, Arrow, Seminole, etc...

ASA, not too bad! Someday!

Regards,
    Tom
    Originally posted by Proflig8tor

Apparently the serial connector for the Treo 600 is different from the earlier models and the old serial / mouse type GPS will not work without the compatible connection.
    No it's not! The serial connector of the Treo600 is exactly the same as on the Treo270/300 etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    What does that little baby run, cost wise...
    Would it really be worth using something like that over a little portable Garmin?

Regards,
    Tom
  12.    #12  
    I fly a Cirrus SR22 with the all-glass cockpit, so I've already got alot of information available. Unfortunately Avidyne has had alot of trouble getting their satellite downlink weather working reliably in the plane and hasn't released the feature. They use the Orbcomm satellite network, which is extremely low power, and have been frustrated by various static and EMI emissions on the airframe that intefere with reception. So I'm considering going to a tablet-PC for the interim for weather downloads. The best system right now seems to be WxWorx using the XM Radio band. But, I'm also considering a trip to Europe across the Atlantic, so I may go with a sat-phone based downlink since I'll need the Satphone anyway for ATC checkins.

-Curt
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Did you download FlightPal? If you haven't I would suggest trying it and seeing if it has what you are looking for. All the the backup data is stored on your computer.