Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Today I finished a fun project to build a car mount kit for my T600. I took a look at the car kit that HS is shlocking for $200 and decided that I could do something much better.

I purchased the HS audio adapter, a casette tape adapter and a generic mount kit from Radio Shack. As you can see from the pictures, I cut off one of the retaining "fingers" to the clip, but since it uses tension to wedge the phone into the foam retainers, the phone still stays in place when I'm driving.

The solution puts the phone at easy grasp next to the steering wheel so I can answer the phone or control the MP3 player handily. The audio sounds great through the car stereo-- just as good as the CDs I play.

My biggest surprise was the quality of the speakerphone. Since I put the phone in a direct line with my mouth, the microphone picks up my voice very clearly and I keep both hands on the steering wheel and am able to hear the callers over the car stereo.

The only complain has been that callers can hear some feedback/bleed from their voices back at them if the volume is too high.

Other than that, I am really happy with the way it turned out. The kit cleans up my dash area and keeps the TREO right where I want it.

Has anyone else built something like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    The telescoping arm from the kit let me move it around until I got it where I wanted it...the base is secured via a suction cup to a plastic disk. The disk has adhesive backing that sticks it to the dash, or wherever else you want to put it.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Here's the retainer I cut down to accomodate the audio jack
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    The adhesive is tight and the suction cup just unlatches so you can take the kit on the road and mount it in other vehicles-- $30 at Radio Shack!
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    This mounting location puts the TREO at my fingertips for answering calls, speaking into the phone with clarity and changing songs in Pockettunes.

I feel so much safer with the hands-free, even beyond an earpiece. I have no distractions, which can be a big help on the Cross-Bronx Expressway in the morning!
    Great idea. Is it attached buy the suction mount? I thought they had to be attached to windshields, but maybe just a flat surface?
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    The base has a suction cup that is clamped down with a little lever. You could suction it to a VERY flat surface, but I didn't have any around my dash that were big enough.

I tried the suction to the middle of the windshield, but it blocked my view a little and the arm was too far extended so it moved the phone when I hit a bump.

If my windshield was different, the suction method would work better.

The ProClip idea sounded interesting, but it looked like it was mounted too low and out of my line of sight. Also involved pulling my trim apart, which I didn't want to do...
    Wow - awesome job! I was just thinking of doing something similar with my T600, and you've inspired me! I just have to find a good suctioning place on my 94 Honda Accord...

Is HS the only place you can get the headphones adapter?

Thanks!
    With a little ingenuity and stuff I already had, I think I came up with the perfect solution for my Treo to ride along in the SUV.
    First, I had a Radio Shack Universal Holder that had a disk that would no longer stick to anything. I took it, a little super glue, stuck it inside an adjustable cup holder, and adjusted the cup holder down in my SUV cup holder space. I used my Belkin FM adapter that I used to use for my MP3 player and added the adapter that I had ordered from HS. Plugged in the car charger and voila. I can even leave the Treo in her phone case as she rides along. When I get where I'm going, unplug her accessories, slide her onto her belt clip and off we go.
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    You can hear your MP3's and ringers over the car stereo and the speaker phone works great from that distance. So far no one has complained. Attaching a picture of the cup holder I think I got at Wal-Mart one time for $4.97 with the Radio Shack Universal Holder inside.
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    Another shot of the drivers view.
    Thanks for the pics. I went to target and they had the same exact holder without the RadioShack name on it for 16.99. Now I just need to figure out how and where I am going to mount it.
    I know longer have a cassette player in my vehicle and I was wondering if anyone has used the Irock Wireless Adapter to route caller through the radio speakers.

1. Does it even work?
    2. How does the caller report your voice from the speakerphone's mic.
    3. If an MP3 is playing, does the incoming call take over?

Any feedback would be appreciated before I plunk down $30 for the Irock.
    myline = Treo650 w/SprintPCS
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    The funny thing with the auto mount is that when the phone is plugged into the adapter, you can choose regular or speakerphone.

I experimented with the two choices, and it seems that speakerphone is more sensitive and therefore picks up your voice even better.

As I mentioned earlier, the callers complain of an echo if my car stereo is too loud...feedback problem...only an issue if it is *CRANKED*...

works great!

But
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    No "buts"... my text entry box scrolled
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    The funny thing with the auto mount is that when the phone is plugged into the adapter, you can choose regular or speakerphone.

I experimented with the two choices, and it seems that speakerphone is more sensitive and therefore picks up your voice even better.

As I mentioned earlier, the callers complain of an echo if my car stereo is too loud...feedback problem...only an issue if it is *CRANKED*...

works great!

But
    The FM transmitters work. There have been other threads about them here, and on pdaphonehome.com
    I use the Belkin transmitter on my Treo, listen to MP3's, phone rings on car speakers cutting off Pocket Tunes, callers voice over the radio speakers, and have had no complaints about feed back thus far with the Belkin. I did have complaints when I was using the car cassette adapter. I opted to use my Belkin for that reason and also because I just can't do dangling cords.
    In one of the threads someone indicated that the Treo600 is magnetic, so did anyone try to mount the unit in the car using a magnet or to a metal part ?
    Unless I missed it, none of these solutions accomplish the #1 goal I have that the Handspring handsfree set offers - an external antenna!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast