Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I tried putting my own bitmaps into the Phone_SPCS.prc file as per Jake's instructions (as much as is the same), and upon wireless startup/shutdown, I get the HS logo, not mine.

Deleting the file in RAM brought the SPCS logos back.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    OK, so I really like the "towers" logo on the unbranded GSM Treo 600. I've made a webpage that has pictures of this logo along with variations of this with the palmOne logo and the T-Mobile logo. I've also included a zip file for each. Each zip file has four files, one each for cingular, sprint, orange, and the unbranded version. The page is at:

http://caslis.com/devices/treo600/clogos/index.html

I've tested each of the three versions on a cingular device and they seem to work fine. FYI, for those technically inclined, the prc files have only the 8-bit bitmaps, I deleted the 4-bit bitmaps because I couldn't see any difference.

Have fun!
    Originally posted by orrgroup
    Okay, so I didn't really give up on making this work on my Sprint. I was pelased to have learned that I missed a certain file when searching before. The file is: Phone_SPCS.prc. So, I downloaded jake's file and renamed it to Phone_SPCS.prc and voila! No more Sprint free advertising!! Great job Jake!
    Not only does this work for SPRINT but it brings back the duration information in call history! This is the file I needed from GSM phone.

Thank you Jake!
    I followed the instructions to the letter, and still couldn't replace them myself. The Phone_CNGW file worked for me, so it looks better than the Sprint splash. If anyone would be willing to hack it for me, I'd love to let anyone else use them...

http://i.ksilebo.com/online.bmp
    http://i.ksilebo.com/offline.bmp
    Originally posted by Vigor

Not only does this work for SPRINT but it brings back the duration information in call history! This is the file I needed from GSM phone.

Thank you Jake!
    Holy crap you serious?! So you mean you can now view call duration on Sprint PCS Treo 600? Can you explain in detail how exactly to do this? What files I need & just download & hotsync? That's awesome!!!
    Originally posted by treoneo

Holy crap you serious?! So you mean you can now view call duration on Sprint PCS Treo 600? Can you explain in detail how exactly to do this? What files I need & just download & hotsync? That's awesome!!!
    bcaslis' link works on Sprint T600's. Worked on mine. But, where is this call duration!?
  7.    #47  
    Here you go Ksilebo,

Your pictures had a bit too much color so they dithered weird though.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jake Pratt
    www.jakepratt.com
    Originally posted by Ksilebo
    I followed the instructions to the letter, and still couldn't replace them myself. The Phone_CNGW file worked for me, so it looks better than the Sprint splash. If anyone would be willing to hack it for me, I'd love to let anyone else use them...

http://i.ksilebo.com/online.bmp
    http://i.ksilebo.com/offline.bmp

I was able to replace them, but the bmps you wanted seemed to be at a weird color depth. Quick tweaking with Photoshop didn't help much. Here's your file if you want to see the results.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Originally posted by JakePratt
    Here you go Ksilebo,

Your pictures had a bit too much color so they dithered weird though.
    Hey Jake, to avoid the color dithering, you can uncheck the 4 bit and 8 bit versions and paste the bitmap in as a 16 bit one. It looks a lot better on the Treo. I know the Treo doesn't have a 16 bit screen but it does better "resampling" a 16 bit image for display on a 11 or 12 bit screen than displaying an 8 bit image. I tried to do this for Ksilebo, but the file size of the resulting file was a few bytes to large for TreoCentral upload.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    You can email it to russ AT ksilebo DOT net if you like.
    Which file do I need to bring back call "duration" in call "details" on Sprint Treo600? Me want now!!
    We need to setlle on some kind of universal distribution format for these.

PRC's is tough because you don't know which carrier the person will be using.

BMP is tough because then you're making the person insert the graphic into the PRC themselves which is difficult.

I'd suggest bundling all the carrier PRC's for a given logo into a single zipfile, but then that's just wasted download bandwidth and it's hard to get everyone to do.

What's really needed is a simple app that anyone can paste a 160 x 160 graphic into that spits out a PRC branded for thier phone via a pull down menu of available carriers.

Anyone here up to the challenge of coding that?
    I can keep supplying the bitmaps, these are easy to do in Photoshop (although I'll blast through my personal artwork quickly). If anyone makes that app that sticks them in the pdb, I'd be up for making custom logos.

EDIT: D'oh! *smacks forehead* I magically got it to work, and just pasting the 16bit makes them look perfect!
    Wouldn't it be simplest to supply a single prc file with instructions on renaming it? The zip files I were were essentially just one prc with copies renamed.

Also these are small enough that copies really don't waste much bandwidth. I can only really see it being an issue if you were directly downloading them into a Treo.

Originally posted by derek985
    We need to setlle on some kind of universal distribution format for these.

PRC's is tough because you don't know which carrier the person will be using.

BMP is tough because then you're making the person insert the graphic into the PRC themselves which is difficult.

I'd suggest bundling all the carrier PRC's for a given logo into a single zipfile, but then that's just wasted download bandwidth and it's hard to get everyone to do.

What's really needed is a simple app that anyone can paste a 160 x 160 graphic into that spits out a PRC branded for thier phone via a pull down menu of available carriers.

Anyone here up to the challenge of coding that?
    Small note, the _CNGW or _SPCS doesnt matter, I synced on the _CNGW and it replaced the logo.
  16.    #56  
    I agree with bcaslis, the easiest deployment model is PRC. They are not that big and make the job of uploading much more simple.

BTW - this is how the Clie Guy's do their virtual graffitti files as well so if it works for them, it should work for us.
    Jake Pratt
    www.jakepratt.com
    Originally posted by bcaslis
    Wouldn't it be simplest to supply a single prc file with instructions on renaming it? The zip files I were were essentially just one prc with copies renamed.

I wasn't aware that you could just rename them - I thought the rest of the code in the PRC was carrier specific. In that case, they should just be distributed as a ZIP containing a PRC file named Phone_XXXX.prc and a README with a quick set of instructions on how to install and a list of carrier codes to replace the XXXX in the PRC file name.

It also sounds like 8 or 16 bit would be a better standard so as to avoid color loss and I'm still wondering if the 4 bit deal is really necessary.

Best,
    Derek.
    Last edited by derek985; 11/24/2003 at 09:00 AM.
    Also another question, with the PRC sync technique do users still need to use Filez to set the R/O attribute? If so, is there any way around this to make the install less painful for non-technical folks?
  19.    #59  
    When I did my initial testing I had to have both an 8 and 4 bit graphic BUT I may have missed something. We need to play around and verify that...

1. You don't need the 4 bit graphic and
    2. The treo actually displays the 16 bit graphic if you put one in the prc.
    Jake Pratt
    www.jakepratt.com
    Like I posted up there, I only have a 16bit bitmap in there, and the prc file is named Phone_CNGW, on my Sprint T600, and it displays it just fine.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast