Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    When using Filez to uncheck the 'read-only' box, I get the following error:

"Operation failed
    This file is ROM-based and cannot be modified or deleted."

I have a Sprint Treo600. Any ideass on working around this?

Also, the only .prc file that I listed above that has bitmaps is phone.prc. And it has about 85 of them!
  2.    #22  
    I really don't know how to do it on the Sprint Version. However, you should be unchecking the readonly on the file in memory and not the one in the ROM.

If the file isn't in memory, you shouldn't need to uncheck it.
    Jake Pratt
    www.jakepratt.com
    I will wait and see if any software architects give the Sprint Treo a whirl. I, for one, am not a software guru. Just someone who hates that damn Sprint logo! C'mon guys...who will accept the Sprint logo challenge??
    Jake, thanks for the instructions. So cool. But I did notice that when you remove the bitmaps, they aren't the same as the images on the unbranded. So was able to get those bitmaps. I've made two files one with the bitmaps removed which gives you a very basic welcome and goodbye screen and one with the welcome and goodbye screen from the unbranded phones being sold internationally (this is also the screen you see on some of the videos that have been on ZDNet). Go to http://caslis.com/treo/files and get the two zip files. Unzip the one you want and sync it to any Cingular branded Treo 600!
  5.    #25  
    Nice. Yeah, I noticed that as well. It appears to fallback to the graphic stored in phone.prc which is a plain handspring logo but not the one in the unbranded phones. I didn't want to hack Phone.prc.

I don't know if I like the official one better than my final version though I am going to post a link to your file on my site.
    Jake Pratt
    www.jakepratt.com
    Jake's PRC works great on my UK Orange Treo.

I just used Filez to rename it to Phone_ORNG and voila, much more professional looking logos now!
    Okay, so I didn't really give up on making this work on my Sprint. I was pelased to have learned that I missed a certain file when searching before. The file is: Phone_SPCS.prc. So, I downloaded jake's file and renamed it to Phone_SPCS.prc and voila! No more Sprint free advertising!! Great job Jake!
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Originally posted by bcaslis
    Jake, thanks for the instructions. So cool. But I did notice that when you remove the bitmaps, they aren't the same as the images on the unbranded. So was able to get those bitmaps. I've made two files one with the bitmaps removed which gives you a very basic welcome and goodbye screen and one with the welcome and goodbye screen from the unbranded phones being sold internationally (this is also the screen you see on some of the videos that have been on ZDNet). Go to http://caslis.com/treo/files and get the two zip files. Unzip the one you want and sync it to any Cingular branded Treo 600!
    I was able to download your unbranded .prc but unable to access the bitmap elements once I opened it in PRCedit. Everytime I tried to access either of the bitmaps (6851 or 6861) the app crashed. I went back and opened the Phone_CNGW.prc that was on Jake's site and it let me edit the bitmaps with no problem. Is anyone else having problems with the files from bcaslis?
    My 2¢, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 » Treo 600 » Treo 700P » *** Unmentionable *** » Pre {rooted}
  9.    #29  
    It probably has to do with the version of PRCEdit I am using. I actually deleted and readed the graphics in my version of the file. I would go to the new version of PRCEdit but I just didn't want to figure out how to use it.
    Jake Pratt
    www.jakepratt.com
    If you're going to hack the carrier logo, I guess no one is planning to return their Cingular 600 for a T-Mobile once it's released? This is what a HS tech rep recommended I do.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
  11.    #31  
    vigneron, The hack sits in memory. A hard reset returns it to the original state complete with orange splat.
    Jake Pratt
    www.jakepratt.com
    The version of PRCEdit does crash big time if you try to open these. However if you just want to use them, you don't need to open them. Simply use cut and paste, that's what I did. If you want to see what the unbranded looks like, go to http://caslis.com/devices/treo600/tr.../854F1236.html and

http://caslis.com/devices/treo600/tr.../854F1237.html

These are screenshots I took from an unbranded one and when you put the file in the Cingular it now looks the same.

Originally posted by jeeter

I was able to download your unbranded .prc but unable to access the bitmap elements once I opened it in PRCedit. Everytime I tried to access either of the bitmaps (6851 or 6861) the app crashed. I went back and opened the Phone_CNGW.prc that was on Jake's site and it let me edit the bitmaps with no problem. Is anyone else having problems with the files from bcaslis?
    Jake, how did you edit the bitmaps? As stated before PRCedit crashes if you try to open the bitmaps. I'm actually on a Mac, but was able to use Virtual PC to run PRCedit. Is the bitmap just a windows bitmap file or is it more complicated?

Originally posted by JakePratt
    It probably has to do with the version of PRCEdit I am using. I actually deleted and readed the graphics in my version of the file. I would go to the new version of PRCEdit but I just didn't want to figure out how to use it.
  14.    #34  
    I deleted the graphics and readded the bitmap resource using PRCEdit (using the same ID's.) Once I did this I was able to add both an 8 bit and 4 bit graphic. Then I just used photoshop to create the graphic and I copied and pasted it into my new graphic.

Also, you can grab my file from my website which will open and can be edited using PRCedit.
    Jake Pratt
    www.jakepratt.com
    Hi everyone,

The new Carrier Logo section is up and running at Treo 600 Essentials. You can find it along with other skins and wallpaper in the Graphics section.

Please send us your bitmaps to bitmaps@treo600essentials.com. We'll start getting them posted right away.

Best,
    Derek.
    Very interesting thread...

Since you guys are so savvy with the editing of images, do you have any ideas about the dial pad? I used to have a samsung I330 and the dial pad was changable with Skin Selector from I330.nopdesign.com.

I'd like to be able to change the pad on the 600. It is sooo boring.

What do you think?

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Thank You!

Great work guys. This made my day.

FS: GSM Treo 600 with Accesories.... here.
    1. I'm wondering if we really need to change the 4 bit logo. It's grayscale and considering that I don't think theres a knob anywhere to make the Treo display grayscale, will the 4 bit image ever be seen?

2. The image size for those who would like to make them is the same size as the phone screen which is 160 px by 160 px.

Best,
    Derek.
    Worked easily.

No need for the prc editor.
    No need for filez.
    The file name is Phone_CROW.

Download Jake's logo from his website and rename it to Phone_CROW. Hot sync. You're done. Glad to get rid of HS's silly cell towers. (This change will not survive a hard reset according to Jake.)
    Last edited by elysian9; 11/23/2003 at 10:20 PM.
    Originally posted by vigneron
    If you're going to hack the carrier logo, I guess no one is planning to return their Cingular 600 for a T-Mobile once it's released? This is what a HS tech rep recommended I do.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    No problem there. A hard reset will restore the factory file.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast