1.    #1  
    You know how there's a little magnet on the back because they lacked the sense to shield it? Yeah? I have a small place I set my stuff down on after the day, and I set my Treo on top of my iPod. Erased it. Oops. No matter though, just have to put all the songs back on. Just a small tip that may preserve sanity.
    The magnet is from the speaker and - correct me if I'm wrong - but I don't think it's possible to shield that.
  3.    #3  
    I'm pretty sure its shieldable.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    they shield speakers made for computers so that they don't distort the screen, why can't that shield a speaker that small. How come this isn't a problem with other phones with speakers??
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Does that mean we're all gonna get brain cancer in a few years if its not shielded?

LOL.

Dizzy
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Yes it is possible to shield it with Mu metal but not necessary. The only things the magnet will hurt are floppies and CRTs (circa 1990)

Yes you will get brain cancer but not from the magnet. The magnet is actually good for you! (www.nikken.com)

The high frequency emitted by the antenna is the killer, www.techintlcorp.com and www.safelevel.com
  7.    #7  
    My view on the radio waves from the antenna is this...

We're all going to die someday.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Using the phone without the speaker or a headset is really stupid. The 600 has a high SAR.

But if you hold it say 8 inches away with the speaker, or 2 feet away from your brain with the headset, the near field (1 or 2 inches) turns into the far field and the exposure is minimal.
    I wouldn't place it next to your wallet or credit cards either - might wipe out the mag stripe on the cards.
    Originally posted by mgauss
    Yes it is possible to shield it with Mu metal but not necessary.
    Actually, the way that most speakers do shielding is by adding small magnets with opposite polarity so that the two magnetic fields cancel each other out. This is both easier and cheaper.
    Regards,

Robert
    Originally posted by randyg
    they shield speakers made for computers so that they don't distort the screen, why can't that shield a speaker that small. How come this isn't a problem with other phones with speakers??
    They don't shield the speakers for the same reason they gave you a lousy screen, no bluetooth and a lack of voice recording/recognition.

Because they are tapped out financially, and shields cost money.

Poverty forces compromises.
    Zip,

May I suggest that If you are angry, or disapointed, sell your Treo (if you have one) to somebody else here who'll enjoy it. If you don't have one yet, lucky you!

No one will think less of you for jumping ship, and you'll be happier sans Treo, and we'll be happier without the steady stream of angst and negativity.

I hope you find happiness- somewhere else.
    Originally posted by yelofelo
    Zip,

May I suggest that If you are angry, or disapointed, sell your Treo (if you have one) to somebody else here who'll enjoy it. If you don't have one yet, lucky you!

No one will think less of you for jumping ship, and you'll be happier sans Treo, and we'll be happier without the steady stream of angst and negativity.

He does not own a Treo, ever! He never will. He is PurpleX
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Originally posted by yelofelo
    Zip,

Is it your view that these boards are just for the purposes of self gratification with new toys?
    Trolls make life fun, don't they?