Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here we are, NOVEMBER 22nd. The overwhelming percentage of you who wanted a Treo 600 STILL doesn't have one.

You were baited with enticing Emails for MONTHS.

The head of the company told the world that GSM handsets would be in your hands by the end of OCTOBER.

You constantly heard it would ship in 2-3 weeks. And while the calendar marched on, 2-3 weeks stuck like tires in the red Alabama mud. CSRs had NO IDEA why you would believe what Donna Dubinsky said. Heck, they claimed they never heard it....

HS announced the availablilty of Cingular phones when they weren't really available, taking orders. So even the GSM "launch" was not a launch. If HS was a girl, they'd be accused of being a "teaser". And I left a word out.....

Those teased couldn't hold off. I would venture to guess that a HUGE percentage of Cinuglar pre-orders are for people who plan to use them on other systems. Clearly, that's a compromise brought on by disapointing performance by HS.

Still, by the end of November, only a small little stream of units have dribbled out. If your order wasn't in with a flash, it's another 2-3 and in some cases FOUR weeks more of a wait.

And where, oh where is T-Mobile?????

To borrow a line from the Richard Dreyfuss character in Jaws, "This was NO boating accident. It was a shark attack".

HS knew EXACTLY what they were doing. They KNEW they were lying to you about delivery dates. They knew they were whetting your appetite, freezing your purchase decisions only to keep you waiting. Nothing else makes sense.

It's said that they had software issues slowing down the release of the GSM units. Well then riddle me this - once they solved that problem, why is it that they then have 2-3 week shipping delays???? Long after all CDMA issues were settled, once HS shot it's load with it's initial supply, we are in the same 2-3 week plus zone of people waiting and waiting and waiting. Now here comes the AT&T rollout and, well, there you go again. Not a single unit available till well into December. A Fall release? NOT!

There is, of course, only one reason that explains all this.

HS is probably on a short string with its suppliers and so it gets a shipment, sells it, collects money and re-orders. It seems to me painfully obvious that their credit was shot.

Now with the Palm merger a month old, nothing has changed. No support by a stronger parent. Probably because Palm hasn't exactly set any profit records either.....

All this hangs together with the design and quality issues. There's got to be a reason why over the years, Treo phones had extremely high failure rates, much of which are manufacturing issues. There is a reason why they left off important features, such as a decent screen (they did this after we ALL squawked about the compromised 270/300 screen), bluetooth and voice control/recording. They are busted., that's why. Busted people do desperate things....

I have had both the P900 and the Treo now for more than a week.

The manufacturing differences, the fit and feel is starkly apparent.
    The absence of a P900 keyboard bugs you? It shouldn't. T9 is great. And if it still bugs you, for a few bucks, you can add EZiTap, which is a predictive text program that is truly remarkable. Together with a much wider and natural keyboard, the P900 with EZiTap blows the doors off of the Treo 600 vis a vis data entry.

The overwhelming share of people out there in the smartphone market are not WEDDED to PalmOS special apps. And most commercial PalmOS have comparable Symbian products.

The HS people are horrible people, who have treated their most important customers like scrap. They've been dishonest and continue to play their games. I would not be surprised if they are taken over by someone else - that's likely your only salvation.

My advice to you all - get out. Avoid Handpring/Palm. Buy someone else's product, because after suffering with VisorPhones, Treo 270s and now with my 600, I see that they are the same people, putting out the same slow release of a product that have high failure rates and whose designs, while good, should be better.
    Last edited by zipmitz; 11/22/2003 at 05:35 AM.
    You're right Shakespeare. From now on I am not doing any business with Handspring. In the future, I will only buy from palmOne.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by orrgroup
    You're right Shakespeare. From now on I am not doing any business with Handspring. In the future, I will only buy from palmOne.
    I think you are optimisitic.....

In the future, you will only lust for vaporware from PalmOne.........
    > ...HS is probably on a short string with its suppliers and so it
    > gets a shipment, sells it, collects money and re-orders. It
    > seems to me painfully obvious that their credit was shot...

Handspring at the time of the merger had negative stock equity (that is - add up everything it owns down to the last paperclip as well as cash/inventory/etc and subtract off what it owes and divide by the number of shares to find out "value" per share - for Handspring that was a NEGATIVE number). In most if not all of their financial report filings (10Ks and 10Qs) Handspring warned that their financial condition could deteriorate to the point that their vendors might want cash up front, for example. Thus it is REAL likely that Solectron said "Show me the cash!" for any early TREO 600 order.

If the TREO 600s cost, say, $200 from Solectron, it costs a million bucks in cash for each 5000 made. According to Handspring's last earnings call they "shipped" 19,000 TREO 600s - or about 4 million dollars worth (minimally). Based on the previous lack of sales of all the other TREO models it's really unlikely Handspring would risk building more that a couple million dollars worth ahead of time, if that.

(I personally think 3-4 thousand is a million bucks worth, not 5 thousand, thus the number per 'run" would be even less)
    Originally posted by zipmitz
    --.. .. .--. -- .. - --.. / .. ... / - .... . / -. . .-- / -.- .. -. --. / --- ..-. / - .... . / --. --- -.. -.. .- -- -. / .-. . - .- .-. -.. ... / ..--.. / / / -.-. --- -. --. .-. .- - ..- .-.. .- - .. --- -. ... / --..-- / / .--- . .-. -.- / ..--.. /
    You are so right! In fact I don't think I've ever heard anyone make that point so eloquently. Than...wait a minute. T9 is better? EZitap? What the hell are you talking about? Not married to Palm? Symbian is just as good? Number one I don't think I've ever even SEEN a Symbian phone. Aren't those all GSM? Oh that's right. There couldn't possibly be any CDMA users out here, could there? Once again proof that we need a CDMA forum, and a GSM forum. I am so tired of all your whining. I've had my Treo for almost two months now. I got it right when I was promised and I love it! Go peddle your missives somewhere else, ok?
    We know, we know. Business sense of a dead monkey. Couldn't you make some NEW points? Thanks.
    Oh I get it....Handspring has faults. The Palm OS has limitations. And for these faults of imperfection leaves reason to believe there is true perfection out there? Symbian? Vaporware? PPC? Perfect? I think not Voltaire!

What you have here is a case of the 'haves' and the 'have nots'. Those of us with treo600s in hand are 'having' it all right now-enjoying the most advanced smartphone to make it to market at this point. We are relishing in our experimentation with various downloads and enjoying the many wireless features and online activities. We delight in the one-handed operation - a tue innovation, and we give thanks to God for keeping Jeff Hawkins safe on the freeway.

The 'have nots' are blaming anything and everyone for not having their Treo600 by now. Except, that is, placing blame on their failure to order the Sprint version when they had a chance. The fault lies with the man in the mirror.

The porridge is cold indeed.
  9.    #9  
    Oh I get it....Handspring has faults. The Palm OS has limitations. And for these faults of imperfection leaves reason to believe there is true perfection out there? Symbian? Vaporware? PPC? Perfect? I think not Voltaire!

What you have here is a case of the 'haves' and the 'have nots'. Those of us with treo600s in hand are 'having' it all right now-enjoying the most advanced smartphone to make it to market at this point. We are relishing in our experimentation with various downloads and enjoying the many wireless features and online activities. We delight in the one-handed operation - a tue innovation, and we give thanks to God for keeping Jeff Hawkins safe on the freeway.

The 'have nots' are blaming anything and everyone for not having their Treo600 by now. Except, that is, placing blame on their failure to order the Sprint version when they had a chance. The fault lies with the man in the mirror.

The porridge is cold indeed.
    Seems to me, Marie Antoinette, that there is a huge problem getting people Sprint models too. The first handful is got their bread, and having done so, suggest the rest of the world should eat cake.

I have both phones. I am not jealous of you or anyone else.

What I am saying is that the Treo 600 is not all that. Simple.

And the company that made it is packed full of people who lie because they are tap city
    Originally posted by snerdy

--.. .. .--. -- .. - --.. / .. ... / - .... . / -. . .-- / -.- .. -. --. / --- ..-. / - .... . / --. --- -.. -.. .- -- -. / .-. . - .- .-. -.. ... / ..--.. / / / -.-. --- -. --. .-. .- - ..- .-.. .- - .. --- -. ... / --..-- / / .--- . .-. -.- / ..--.. /

.... . / .. ... / . -.. - .. - .-.. . -.. / - --- / .... .. ... / --- .-- -. / --- .-- -. / --- .--. .. -. .. --- -. / ..--.. / -. --- / -. . . -.. / - --- / -... . / -. .- ... - -.-- / --..-- /

-.. . / .- -... ..--- -- / ...-.-
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    There will always be problems when you live on the edge or the front line. If you're not willing to take the risk and deal with possible problems theat may arise, then take a step back.

The P900 better than the T600 ... not in my opinion. I have had the T600 for over a month and despite the downfalls believe that it is, overall, the most usable and productive phone availalbe today.

I have spent a significant amount of time playing with the P900, and though it is certainly an awe inspiraing phone to look at (the screen is great, but its a phone and I have no need to carry picture albums around in my pocket) its certainly not without its own drawbacks. The most serious flaw of all is the lack of a QWERTY keyboard (I'll be honest, if it had one you might find it in my pocket instead of the T600). T9 and EziTap for text input, you've got to be kidding. T9 was great for sending SMS messages to your buddies when the messages were about five words long. It's certainly not as intuitive as a QWERTY keyboard, and nowhere near as efficient.

You don't see Blackberrys with Hi-Res screens - b/c they are not necessary to achieve the goal of the device, and would only comsume additional energy. You also don't see Blackberrys with a numeric keypad so users can input text using T9 (not even the phone versions). I wonder why that is?

These devices, T600 included, are not, IMO, being marketed to Joe Blow off the street that needs to keep in touch with his girlfriend. They are mareted to those who have a need and desire to consolidate a number of separate devices for improved efficiency. The lack of a QWERTY keyboard on the T900 is a step backward. I don't see why a third party couldn't develop one fit it, but Sony should have included it in the box. They certainly don't expect an attorney, or a doctor, or account executive, etc. etc. to intiate and respond to lengthy e-mails day in and day out using a 10 digit keypad, do they? What were they thinking.

Bottom line, if all you want to do is play games, take pictures to show off, and send short messages such as "See u l8r," then go with the P900, or a number of other phones on the market (though admittedly the P900 screen is the best). If you want to get work done however, you need a serious phone, and the T600 is the only way to go ... until the next models arrive.
    I could not agree more!
    I could not agree more!
    although i have real issues with a few of the features, many of the apps have updated for 600 compliance and that has this phone smoking.

i'm not sure why gsm units are delayed, does anyone here really know? could it be the carrier?

regardless, i do think you'll find the 600 worth the wait.
    Bottom line; they have a demand exceeding the supply, and I would surely think that if they could increase production, they would. As has been suggested on other threads, there is probably a component or two that is in short supply and accounting for the delays. Hey, at least you don't see people knocking others to the ground and snatching T600's out of their hands at the stores like with Cabbage Patch Kids. LOL
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    I guess I still have time to send my Treo back...but I'm sure as He** not going to! It does everything I want it to save for shooting $20 bills out of its SD slot.
    NOT ENOUGH TREOS?!! Heck, I ordered the Sprint one online from Handsping but then couldn't wait and got one at BB instead. The the meantime the online got delivered before I could cancel it! So now I got two Treos! ARHHH! TOO MANY TREOS!! Soo....anyone wanna buy an extra Treo600?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The best response to that argument yet.
    Originally posted by zipmitz
    Here we are, NOVEMBER 22nd. The overwhelming percentage of you who wanted a Treo 600 STILL doesn't have one.
    A T-Mobile national account manager who promised to take my order on the original launch date, who then slipped to the end of October, and then to November 24, announced this week that he will finally accept orders "the third week of December." As you say, they simply slip 3 weeks at a time. There is no indication that the December date is any better than any of the previous dates.

While I sympathize with your frustration, and certainly cannot recommend that anyone do business with HS, Palmone, or T-Mobile, I cannot agree with your alternative product recommendation. I have struggled to find an acceptable alternative and have not been successful.

One writer here has suggested that we ought to buy the 600 CDMA. Indeed he suggests that we are simply "whiners," masochists to want to have GSM phones, to want longer battery life and insist upon international roaming. Having been both a Sprint and a T-mobile customer for the past three years, I cannot recommend that anyone leave T-Mobile for Sprint, even if they did not need international roaming. I carried the Sprint phone because it provided analog backup which I have needed in northern Vermont and New Hampshire, where there is no digital service of any kind. While I have found a few places with GSM service and no Sprint service, I have not found the reverse. T-mobile customer service and technical support have been consistently superior to Sprint.

I agree with you that no Treo 270 customer is likely to buy a 600 for manufacturing quality, even if he could get one. No 270 customer is likely to voluntarily do business with the evil trinity again. The decision to wait is all about design, features, and functions. As we used to say in the early IT days, it is about "speeds and feeds."

The only viable alternative to the 600 GSM that I can find is the Treo 270 and I already have that. So I will wait.

However, the advantage that the 600 has will not last forever. I do not expect to see a 600 GSM until 2Q04. It is my genuine hope that someone will slam the door on them before I fork over my $600.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    NOT ENOUGH TREOS?!! Heck, I ordered the Sprint one online from Handsping but then couldn't wait and got one at BB instead. The the meantime the online got delivered before I could cancel it! So now I got two Treos! ARHHH! TOO MANY TREOS!! Soo....anyone wanna buy an extra Treo600?
    Went to the Mall yesterday and was surprised that Sprint has 4 Treo 600s in their store. My son bought one immediately while I wait for my "f.....g" t-mobile unit to become available. Oh let me correct that - I forgot I already ordered an unlocked Cingular GSM Treo (Delivery Date: 4 weeks) Any Hawaii T600 in use out there? Aloha!
    Ed
    i imagine it doesn't help those of you waiting to see it on the shelves or pasted to the cover of us news and world report or business week.

the way palmone is upgrading units lately, a newer versioin could be out by the time your order is considered. you may in fact be the lucky ones.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 11/22/2003 at 11:57 AM.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast