Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    At the time of the merger Handspring was literally in the negative - they had used up more than they had. Handspring more than a few times mentioned that their financial situation could affect their ability to produce product - that is, their manufacturer, Solectron, might not let them do, for example, a 30Day Net type purchase - like strictly cash purchases only.

When the TREO 600 was first ... ahem ... shipped it was readily apparent that Handspring was in a get orders, buy, build, sell, repeat mode where the "buy quantity" was minimal - measured in the single-digit thousands.

To THIS observer it looks like they're STILL in a mode similar to get orders, buy, build, sell, repeat with only slightly more tolerance for lower "get orders" numbers.

(e.g., all TREOs are on the order of 2 week lead time with most being 4 week, more or less - that SCREAMS that they are building to order...)
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    A
    To THIS observer it looks like they're STILL in a mode similar to get orders, buy, build, sell, repeat with only slightly more tolerance for lower "get orders" numbers.
    Perhaps but it does not account for why they are refusing orders from willing, not to say anxious, buyers.

Neither does it account for the fact that there are all kinds of factors, lenders, and other investors who are in the business of financing orders in hand. I might be prepared to accept this rationale months ago when there was still some doubt about the quality and acceptance of the product but it just does not wash now.
    > Perhaps but it does not account for why they are refusing
    > orders from willing, not to say anxious, buyers...

I ==fully== believe both Handspring/palmOne and T-Mobile when they say the TREO 600 is not available for T-Mobile because it doesn't pass T-Mobile's certification requirements.

It's not at ALL clear to me why others don't believe them.

Assuming whatever the problem is is fixable in SOFTWARE rather than hardware (a rather large assumption right there) then, as a software developer with more than 20 years experience in full life-cycle software development, I can fully understand why it is taking an apparent (but not actually) long time to get the software fix "out there".

> ...I might be prepared to accept this rationale months ago
    > when there was still some doubt about the quality and
    > acceptance of the product but it just does not wash now.

I personally think you are WAY too "optimistic" about the widespread acceptance of the TREO 600 (for example to back that belief up with hard facts - the ONLY comparison number we have for TREO 600 "sell through" (that is, "widespread customer acceptance") is that the TREO 600 WHEN INTRODUCED sold through to end customers at a rough estimate of 7% better than the TREO 270 and TREO 300 sold LONG AFTER INTRODUCTION at the same time of year a year ago. That doesn't say anything even close to "TREO 600 was a smash hit compared to the TREO 270 and TREO 300" to me - does it say that to you?)
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 01/05/2004 at 02:03 PM.
    Originally posted by brownievegas

Yes it has...it just has the Cingular splash screen instead of T-Mobile's.
    HS/P1 still refuses your order if you say that you are a T-Mobile customer. Depending upon the CS rep you talk to, they may accept an obvious lie.

shopblt.com still lists an unlocked gsm phone at $550- but, of course, they do not have any at any price. They no longer show a date when they expect to receive any.

gsmphonesource offers an unlocked phone for $725- and a Cingular branded but unlocked and functionally equivalent version for $690-.

Drop your T-Mo SIM into either one of these phones and voice, and data if you are already a data customer, will work without further setup or personalization.

It is possible that someday HS/P1 may offer a T-Mobile branded phone for as little as $499- but one should not hold one's breath.

Over the life of the phone, $200- is a nit. Subtract from the $200- the value of not having to sign up for a long term contract. I bought my phone a month ago from gsmphonesource. Worth every penny.
    Last edited by whmurray; 01/05/2004 at 02:14 PM.
    Originally posted by RWerksman
    Ok, ok... let me see if I can sum up this thread here:

whmurray / zipmitz / et. al -

Handspring is a company of liers. They lie all the frickin time. I don't like Chupacabra, he doesnt see it my way.

Chupacabra / et. al -

Handspring lied. Thats great. Everyone does it. Get over it.

Can we please let this thread die now? We all get the message.
    Think you summed it up pretty well
    Originally posted by whmurray

HS/P1 still refuses your order if you say that you are a T-Mobile customer. Depending upon the CS rep you talk to, they may accept an obvious lie.

shopblt.com still lists an unlocked gsm phone at $550- but, of course, they do not have any at any price. They no longer show a date when they expect to receive any.

gsmphonesource offers an unlocked phone for $725- and a Cingular branded but unlocked and functionally equivalent version for $690-.

Drop your T-Mo SIM into either one of these phones and voice, and data if you are already a data customer, will work without further setup or personalization.

It is possible that someday HS/P1 may offer a T-Mobile branded phone for as little as $499- but one should not hold one's breath.

Over the life of the phone, $200- is a nit. Subtract from the $200- the value of not having to sign up for a long term contract. I bought my phone a month ago from gsmphonesource. Worth every penny.

zipmitz = whmurray = SeldomVisitor. Just like what happened in the movie, Identity.

Which one will survive?
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    > Perhaps but it does not account for why they are refusing
    > orders from willing, not to say anxious, buyers...

I ==fully== believe both Handspring/palmOne and T-Mobile when they say the TREO 600 is not available for T-Mobile because it doesn't pass T-Mobile's certification requirements.

It's not at ALL clear to me why others don't believe them.

Assuming whatever the problem is is fixable in SOFTWARE rather than hardware (a rather large assumption right there) then, as a software developer with more than 20 years experience in full life-cycle software development, I can fully understand why it is taking an apparent (but not actually) long time to get the software fix "out there".
    So why did T-Mobile ship some T600 to corporate customers if the phone is so dangerously unstable on the T-Mobile network?

Has anyone here had a Cingular or T-Mobile Treo 600 blow up while using it on T-Mobile's network? Didn't think so.
    Who said anything about dangerous instability?

I simply said I beleive T-Mobile when they say the TREO 600 doesn't pass their certification tests yet.

BTW - have you seen a T-Mobile-shipped TREO 600?

Nope.

Be Careful Out There!
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678