Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Originally posted by Facci
    Here's the bottom line. If you bought the Treo 600 and don't like it? Return it and SHUT THE HE** UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one here is twisting your arm to keep it!

Facci, did you remember to take your medicine today?
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra

Since you badmouthed Treocentral, they're probably going to move this thread off the Treo 600 hardware section (the only section ANYONE reads here).
    Sorry. I thought all they cared about was hits. Are you suggesting they really care about what we think? I thought they were laughing all the way to the bank.
    Ungrateful wretches! Blood sores on all of you!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Originally posted by whmurray

Sorry. I thought all they cared about was hits. Are you suggesting they really care about what we think? I thought they were laughing all the way to the bank.

You are too smart for your own good, seņor. Your account will soon be deleted like purpleX's was.

What ever happened to purpleX?

Morpheus! I've never seen code like this! I think Neo's in trouble!
    --.. .. .--. -- .. - --.. / .. ... / - .... . / -. . .-- / -.- .. -. --. / --- ..-. / - .... . / --. --- -.. -.. .- -- -. / .-. . - .- .-. -.. ... / ..--.. / / / -.-. --- -. --. .-. .- - ..- .-.. .- - .. --- -. ... / --..-- / / .--- . .-. -.- / ..--.. /

It's a deja vu.

--.. .. .--. -- .. - --.. / .. ... / - .... . / -. . .-- / -.- .. -. --. / --- ..-. / - .... . / --. --- -.. -.. .- -- -. / .-. . - .- .-. -.. ... / ..--.. / / / -.-. --- -. --. .-. .- - ..- .-.. .- - .. --- -. ... / --..-- / / .--- . .-. -.- / ..--.. /
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    as zipmitz
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Originally posted by BigTex
    as zipmitz

I don't think so, unless purpleX's fractured Engrish was all an act. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised to hear purpleX is really an intelligent person working for Microsoft to spread FUD about Palm. He's on pretty much every Palm site (various names like ska, blueAnon, hoplites) creating havoc. I'll bet he's both cost Palm thousands in sales with his negativism and also gained PPC some sales by letting people know about alternatives to Palms. That alone would probably justify Microsoft having someone like him on the payroll.

You are too smart for your own good, seņor. Your account will soon be deleted like purpleX's was.
    And all this time I thought that purpleX was Miradu, an agent provocateur.
    Yikes!
  10.    #50  
    Originally posted by creighton
    There will always be problems when you live on the edge or the front line. If you're not willing to take the risk and deal with possible problems theat may arise, then take a step back.

The P900 better than the T600 ... not in my opinion. I have had the T600 for over a month and despite the downfalls believe that it is, overall, the most usable and productive phone availalbe today.

I have spent a significant amount of time playing with the P900, and though it is certainly an awe inspiraing phone to look at (the screen is great, but its a phone and I have no need to carry picture albums around in my pocket) its certainly not without its own drawbacks. The most serious flaw of all is the lack of a QWERTY keyboard (I'll be honest, if it had one you might find it in my pocket instead of the T600). T9 and EziTap for text input, you've got to be kidding. T9 was great for sending SMS messages to your buddies when the messages were about five words long. It's certainly not as intuitive as a QWERTY keyboard, and nowhere near as efficient.

You don't see Blackberrys with Hi-Res screens - b/c they are not necessary to achieve the goal of the device, and would only comsume additional energy. You also don't see Blackberrys with a numeric keypad so users can input text using T9 (not even the phone versions). I wonder why that is?

These devices, T600 included, are not, IMO, being marketed to Joe Blow off the street that needs to keep in touch with his girlfriend. They are mareted to those who have a need and desire to consolidate a number of separate devices for improved efficiency. The lack of a QWERTY keyboard on the T900 is a step backward. I don't see why a third party couldn't develop one fit it, but Sony should have included it in the box. They certainly don't expect an attorney, or a doctor, or account executive, etc. etc. to intiate and respond to lengthy e-mails day in and day out using a 10 digit keypad, do they? What were they thinking.

Bottom line, if all you want to do is play games, take pictures to show off, and send short messages such as "See u l8r," then go with the P900, or a number of other phones on the market (though admittedly the P900 screen is the best). If you want to get work done however, you need a serious phone, and the T600 is the only way to go ... until the next models arrive.
    Your own words are the best reply:

"These devices, T600 included, are not, IMO, being marketed to Joe Blow off the street that needs to keep in touch with his girlfriend. They are mareted to those who have a need and desire to consolidate a number of separate devices for improved efficiency. "

You want an email-centric device, NOTHING beats the BBerry format. (Sorry Goodies). Anyone who has a heavy duty email need is foolish to rely upon a smartphone.

And you are totally off the mark regarding T9/ezitap for the overwhelmingly vast majority of people who buy and use smartphones. These people need email access, but are not likely to frequently have extended emails to enter on their portable device.

I recently laid my three devices next to each other and send three paragraph email on each of them. Data entry times:

Bberry - 46 seconds
    P900 with T9 - 58 seconds
    P900 with ezitap - 41 seconds
    Treo - 62 seconds.

The P900 with ez tap was actually faster because of the predictive text elements of the program that are otherwise lacking. Thus, an 9 letter word gets entered with 4 strokes (three letters and enter).

You are sooooo dreadfully wrong about see you l8tr entries. One would think that a person who uses a smartphone would do so smartly and think seriously about how the phones can work, instead of simply taking phones out of the box and mindlessly tapping on them.....
  11.    #51  
    Originally posted by JTREOB

although i have real issues with a few of the features, many of the apps have updated for 600 compliance and that has this phone smoking.

i'm not sure why gsm units are delayed, does anyone here really know? could it be the carrier?

regardless, i do think you'll find the 600 worth the wait.
    GSM units have been delayed because HS is near bankrupt and couldn't get their manufacturers to build enough to fill demand. And Palm has apparently not stepped up to the plate to help them.
  12.    #52  
    Originally posted by JoeTampa
    Bottom line; they have a demand exceeding the supply, and I would surely think that if they could increase production, they would. As has been suggested on other threads, there is probably a component or two that is in short supply and accounting for the delays. Hey, at least you don't see people knocking others to the ground and snatching T600's out of their hands at the stores like with Cabbage Patch Kids. LOL
    There is only one component missing.

Good credit that can allow them to buy enough supply to meet the needs.
  13.    #53  
    Originally posted by bcaslis
    To get back a bit to the beginning of the thread, I'm sure Handspring had some optimistic projections in getting the Treo 600 out. Anyone know a company that isn't? None of this is evil or deliberate. You can be upset by this (I know I wanted the GSM model NOW) but please, taking this so personally is silly.

As for quality, I've had the Sony Ericsson P800 (not the P900), the Treo 270, The T-Mobile PPC Phone Edition (XDA) and a host of other phones. The Treo 600 is closest to perfect of those. Sure there are lots of features I want it doesn't have. Those are bluetooth, playing wave/MP3 sounds (for tones), higher res. and more. I haven't touched the P900 yet, the the P800 was one the biggest turds I've ever owned. Talk about buggy! Talk about poor construction! That thing was terrible!

At the beginning of the thread it talks about how terrible HS is. I don't know anyone there and probably never will. You think Sony Ericsson is better? Here's an example, "Dear SE I have your very expensive phone, it has bugs, I'd like to upgrade the firmware", "I'm sorry sir we don't do that in the U.S.", "But you do in other countries?", "Yes", "How do I get these bugs fixed?", "I'm sorry we have no known bugs at this time.", "Really, why are you upgrading the firmware?", "I'm sorry I have no information on that at this time". One reason I got the Treo is that for serious bugs, it's likely you will be able to get a firmware upgrade (or software patch) based on past behavior (Yes, I know the P900 supposedly has the abililty to do firmware upgrades. But of course it's not officially available in the U.S. yet either).

Finally, I really love these, "HS hasn't shipped yet they suck, but I have this other great toy so what's HS problem?".

These other toys (P900, etc...) are not officially available for the U.S. yet. Anyone getting one is paying over $900 and getting them from an importer. I know of at least four places on the web I can get a Treo 600 GSM NOW. You just have to pay more. Seems the same to me. You want to pay less? You wait for HS to ship you one. Seems to me this is how everyone works not some conspiracy from HS.

I have no extra love for HS. I just love how the Treo 600 works. The next product that works better, no matter who makes it I'll buy. But let's not get carried away blaming delays on silly things. I've worked at big companies and small companies and rarely can you categorize any company as "them". It's a bunch of different people which means sometimes you get different messages depending on who gives the answer.
    Handspring having optimisitic predictions is a conclusion only a friend or therapist could make.

The way things have played out leaves precious little room to deny that they acted in bad faith, they lied and they abused their customers.

Elsewhere in these threads, you will see articles about how BUZZ was always part of the HS approach to the Treo 600. They felt the need to create HUGE buzz. Probably because having bet the ranch on the 600, they were anxious to demonstrate to their manufacturers and suppliers that there would be a big enough market to pay for as large an order as they could squeeze. Remember they are busted financially.

That's why they took the odd approach of killing their remaining product line with a product announcement that was almost half a year away from a serious launch.

They may be bad people, but they are not stupid. This is a company caught in a financial bear trap that gnawed off its arm in hopes of survival and then threw a hail mary pass with the remaining one.

So they knew what they were doing. They knew they were freezing purchase decisions and would not be able to fill all the orders that would come from the early adopter crowd they purposely created the buzz with. And they probably also knew they were making statements in the midst of a shareholder vote that was rosier than they should be.

It is hard NOT to take it personally, when you see all this talk about purposefully creating buzz among early adopters that the objective evidence tells you that you HAVE to disappoint them given the practical constraints of your economic position.

I agree that the P800 was not well done. The 900 is a whole nother animal.

As to availability, I got my P900 for $650 (tax incl) with a 1 year contract. About $150 more than carriers are putting out the T600 for.
    zipmitz wrote:
    > GSM units have been delayed because HS is near bankrupt and couldn't get their manufacturers to build enough to fill demand. And Palm has apparently not stepped up to the plate to help them.

hey dip****z,

Your statements about the financial health of Handspring/PalmOne, in this public forum, are a form of fraudulent stock price manipulation.

If you don't know what you're talking about, shut up, your statements are libelous.

If you DO know what you're talking about, shut up, your statements are insider information and actionable by the SEC.

Either way, SHUT UP.

IANAL.
    Originally posted by zipmitz

There is only one component missing.

Good credit that can allow them to buy enough supply to meet the needs.
    I do not believe that supply is the issue. I quote from the ad that I see to the right as I type this. Treo 600 in stock, shipping daily! That is not a Sprint ad. It is a Treo Central ad. There is no shortage if you are willing to deal with Sprint. We have seen reports here this weekend that, not only can you order a 600 CDMA phone over the net, you can get immediate delivery on the street.

As I have said before, this is about HS and Sprint, it is about a clear preference for CDMA over GSM. If one can afford both CDMA and GSM, or does not need GSM, one could have had a 600 weeks ago or get one tomorrow. This is about mendacity and manipulation.

I do not believe that supply is the issue. I quote from the ad that I see to the right as I type this. Treo 600 in stock, shipping daily! That is not a Sprint ad. It is a Treo Central ad. There is no shortage if you are willing to deal with Sprint. We have seen reports here this weekend that, not only can you order a 600 CDMA phone over the net, you can get immediate delivery on the street.

As I have said before, this is about HS and Sprint, it is about a clear preference for CDMA over GSM. If one can afford both CDMA and GSM, or does not need GSM, one could have had a 600 weeks ago or get one tomorrow. This is about mendacity and manipulation.

there's no doubt if chosing cdma, this phone is available.

manipulation? call it what you will, I suspect the degree of availability is more a result of taking care of your number 1 customers and by a long shot (Sprint CDMA, Orange GSM). i don't think hs should be blamed for this.

i also think the carriers shoulder much to blame for their lack of 600 availability as a result of being half hearted toward this device.

common sense dictated long ago, if you want the treo 600 when it arrives, sprint will oblige you.

i also think the carriers shoulder much to blame for their lack of 600 availability as a result of being half hearted toward this device.
    Perhaps. If that is the case, they are being punished. I think that the HS/Sprint strategy is working. T-Mobile, AT&T, and Cingular customers are moving to Sprint to get a 600; more will jump next week when number portability kicks in. Most of them will never go back. T-Mobile should remember that not all T-Mobile customers really prefer GSM over CDMA. All of the carriers should have learned by now that it is far cheaper to keep a customer than to get one.

Those few of us that really need GSM will stay but I join those here that encourage everyone else to move.

I have been a big T-Mobile/GSM supporter but I have been a Sprint customer for longer than I have a T-Mobile customer. There is not that much to choose. If you take GSM/CDMA off the list of selection criteria, and put a plus on the Sprint side for Treo 600, I would jump in a minute.
    Last edited by whmurray; 11/23/2003 at 12:46 PM.
  18.    #58  
    Originally posted by grib
    zipmitz wrote:
    > GSM units have been delayed because HS is near bankrupt and couldn't get their manufacturers to build enough to fill demand. And Palm has apparently not stepped up to the plate to help them.

hey dip****z,

Your statements about the financial health of Handspring/PalmOne, in this public forum, are a form of fraudulent stock price manipulation.

If you don't know what you're talking about, shut up, your statements are libelous.

If you DO know what you're talking about, shut up, your statements are insider information and actionable by the SEC.

Either way, SHUT UP.

IANAL.
    Thank you. You eloquently proved exactly how right I am. Because ad hominem (personal attacks for people such as you who don't have advanced vocabularies) is the last vestige of losing arguments.....

It is difficult to manipulate a stock price on shares that NO LONGER EXIST. Last I checked, the merger went through and so HS is no longer a public company.

As any one with half a brain knows (and perhaps soon, you can qualify), truth is an absolute defense to defamation.....

One need not bear eye witness to the obvious to know it exists.

It's been reported in these threads that HS itself admitted it was near bankrupt in its own publicly filed statements. What's more, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize (again, maybe someday you can qualify) that once they killed off all their products and had a single line, with dwindling cash reserves and stunted their own sales due to the advance product announcement that the company was on the balls of its ****.

There's a good reason HS shares turned into penny stocks before it was acquired.

And no one ships product in quantity to a busted or near busted company.

Tell me what other producer of PDAs and smartphones has such slim product availability on launch date?

You flood the market with buzz, with print stories, with ads all of which have short shelf lives and you don't have product to meet orders? We are not talking limited edition specialty items put out by a company that has a deep product line.

We are talking about a balls on its **** company with ONE product which can't seem to take advantage of all the hype it created, all the articles, etc. when that product finally comes to market.

And you honestly believe that's just a quirk of fate and NOT something that they knew and expected ALL ALONG?

If it quacks like a duck it must be one. And if you don't want to bewieve that your pwecious toy comes from a company with low values of behaviour instead of Santy Clause, that's your widdle pwobwem....
  19.    #59  

It seems to me that HS had to SELL what it had. So it was likely faced with a two fold issue. 1. It wanted to stoke early adopters into spreading the word since they are sooooooo busted, they can't afford a normal ad campaign. 2. They needed to get a lot of volume out quickly to get the money for its next orders.

So my guess is that Sprint and TC got a bunch of phones that they paid for so HS could turn that money over to Solectron for the GSM rollout.

So it would make sense that Sprint had a bunch of phones, although it was my understanding that they are not exactly as available as you say. And it makes sense that they didn't have enough to cover the early adopters who bought directly from them.

Seems to me that the real problem is HS being tapped out and it would appear that nothing has changed since the Palm buy out, so I guess Palm is not able to put serious money to prop up HS.

It's hard to otherwise understand how they can't seem to get inventory out. The advance order situation SCREAMS out at you that we are dealing with inventory turn issues and NOT supply issues.

They are selling collecting, then it takes a few weeks to get another batch made up.

It wouldn't shock me in the least bit if Sprint got what it got because they were willing to put money up front to turn the assembly line on for the first inventory turn.

As to GSM versus CDMA, well all I can say is we live in a world that is more and more GSM. It is HS' largest market and the situation SCREAMS out at you that it should have gotten priority in an intelligible rollout. The only explanaton I can fathom is that Sprint is more committed to its data network than the GSM carriers. It's a different standard that they've invested in disproportionately to other carriers. And that's prolly why they've been such a Treo booster. So it prolly put serious money up front first and that's why there is such an anomaly here.

All you have to do is look at how the 180/270/300 saga rolled out. CDMA went LAST and LATE.
  20.    #60  

there's no doubt if chosing cdma, this phone is available.

manipulation? call it what you will, I suspect the degree of availability is more a result of taking care of your number 1 customers and by a long shot (Sprint CDMA, Orange GSM). i don't think hs should be blamed for this.

common sense dictated long ago, if you want the treo 600 when it arrives, sprint will oblige you.
    I really think it's terribly unfair to blame the carriers. It's hard to see how ALL of the GSM carriers fouled up. Every last one of them.

No one has more of an investment in the product rollout than HS. And THEY bear responsibility in my book. Near Total.

What's more likely to be true? A company on the balls of its **** financially, living hand to mouth, paying for new inventory with the sales it just completed being responsible for a slow roll out, or three HUGE companies all sharing the same technical standards fouling up together?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast