Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    So, where does the problem lie, SprintPCS or Handspring???

I finally got the phone, and after all this wait, the phone won't activate. I can get see the Sprint network, and get the date and time, but when asked to enter the MSL code and hit dial, the phone goes straight back to the dialpad!

Sprint says call Handspring. Handspring says call Sprint. Now waiting on call back from Handspring upper level technicians,

Is it Sprint or Handspring? What should I do next?
    Hmm...this sounds like a Sprint problem in that they haven't entered the ESN of the Treo into their database yet... Anyway, let us know what everntually transpired. Good luck!
    Last edited by Gaurav; 11/23/2003 at 12:25 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The problem might not be a Sprint Problem. The MSL is an algorithmic derivative based on the ESN. That is how it is programmed in the phone. The only time that I have ever seen this happen is when in rare instances the ESN that is printed on the label on the back of the phone doesn't match the ESN that is actually in the phone.

I would reccomend going under phone details in your Treo and seeing the ESN that the software is reporting. That is always the correct ESN. See if that matches the ESN printed on the label on the back of the phone. If the ESNs do not match you have your solution. If they do match, you are going to have to go into a Sprint Store, and find someone that know about the smartphones (ie. a tech or a sales rep that has one), and they can figure out the problem. Hopefully this helps you out.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Originally posted by happytreoowner
    The problem might not be a Sprint Problem. The MSL is an algorithmic derivative based on the ESN. That is how it is programmed in the phone. The only time that I have ever seen this happen is when in rare instances the ESN that is printed on the label on the back of the phone doesn't match the ESN that is actually in the phone.
    Thanks for the advice. I checked, and the ESN's match. Plan One left me a message on Friday saying they will contact Sprint to see what the problem is, and that my phone should be activated by Monday or Tuesday.

Of course, I think this means that Palm One doesn't even understand what the problem is in the 1st place. And with number portability going into affect, I can only hope that I will be able to get through to Sprint.
    Either way, Handspring and Sprint have agreed for Sprint to handle all warranty issues for Treo phones. Take the phone to a Sprint Store, explain the problem, and tell them that Sprint is supposed to handle all warranty issues for Handspring.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I swear, I don't think Handspring Tech Support has any clue about their phones. I think people on this board could do a better job. I am not even sure the folks know what an MSL number is.

They kept telling me that the phone will be activated by Tuesday at noon...not understanding or listening to me when I tell them it takes more than that. I need a working MSL.
    Go to the local Sprint store, ask for THE mangager, not a want a be, or floor lead, or some self proclaimed pro.

Tell them this has been since the 21st and it's total out of line, you don't care who Handspring says to call (they say sprint), or who Sprint says to call (they say HS), but the phone says "SPRINT" and will only work whit them and to get one form the back and make it work and trade it for yours.

The phone says Spint, HS says call Sprint for support, therefore it's a SPRINT deal, tell them that.

I have mine going in less then 15 min, voice and data (once I got it from HS in the mail back in OCT).

Man, sorry to hear, sounds like a Spirnt deal to me, seeing they are the ones you are supose to call for support, even when you call HS.
    Keep us posted.

I'm mad too Eddie....
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    LOL. After venting all over this board, and submitting a nasty letter to Customer Care, Handspring called me seconds later and said they were shipping out a new phone today, and I should get it tomorrow. Needless to say, I was very surprised at this. Thanks for all your advice. I still think the treocentral users know more about the device than most of the folks at handspring.

Thanks again treocentral!
    Originally posted by slwatts
    I swear, I don't think Handspring Tech Support has any clue about their phones. I think people on this board could do a better job. I am not even sure the folks know what an MSL number is.

They kept telling me that the phone will be activated by Tuesday at noon...not understanding or listening to me when I tell them it takes more than that. I need a working MSL.
    Handspring Tech Support has not been trained on anything having to do with the phone inside Sprint Treos. Sprint and HS agreed to train Sprint techs and have folks contact Sprint for issues related to the phone inside the Treo.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    They sent me a Treo 300 instead of a 600. I am soooooo upset.
    U are kidding....
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    They blamed the "confusion" on their mov to the Palm One building. They have called me three times apologizing for sending the wrong phone, and promise to send out the correct phone today for delivery on Friday.
    All the stuff to do with MSLs and ESNs and activation is totally controlled within Sprints call centers. Handspring is only providing manufacturer support - they cant be expected to be able to fix activation issues if they have no access to the systems. Talk to Sprint if you have MSL issues. I found that Handspring can help on an a escalation basis only thru Sprint. Either way the activation issue gets resolved by a Sprint person. Better to go to source.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    From the beginning, Sprint said that the phone was defective. They suggested that I call and have them ship me a new unit. That seemed like reasonable advice to me--it's just easier said than done.

Since everything else on the phone seemed to work, I am betting that somehow, the MSL number got twisted. The one Sprint has, simply isn't the one for that phone.

I just hope this next one actually is a Treo 600 for one, and for two, will be able to be activated.
    Originally posted by slwatts
    They sent me a Treo 300 instead of a 600. I am soooooo upset.
    I'm sorry I don't want to seem mean, but I just could stop laughing when I read that!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

I'm sorry I don't want to seem mean, but I just could stop laughing when I read that!
    LOL. I'm not mad at you for laughing. I would be laughing if it weren't me. I'm not even sure I would believe it. I got a free accessory for my troubles.

Hey! Maybe I will be able to laugh when I get a working phone.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    All seems well now. I have the new treo in hand. It was delivered on Friday after many apologies from the Handspring folk, and a free accesory. Thanks for all your advice!