Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1.    #1  
    i just heard cingular will be introducing push to talk service in early next year.

    will treo 600 be compatible with that service once it is introduced ?
  2. randyg's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    #2  
    Do you mean pusing something besides the answer button? Do you mean like Nextel walkie talkie kind of thing? That's got to be one of the most annoying things around, besides those folks that sit there in a restaurant and look at their phone as it rings and rings to try to decide if they wan to answer it. About the only people i see using those push to talk phones are beer gutted construction workers.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
  3. #3  
    Originally posted by randyg
    Do you mean pusing something besides the answer button? Do you mean like Nextel walkie talkie kind of thing? That's got to be one of the most annoying things around, besides those folks that sit there in a restaurant and look at their phone as it rings and rings to try to decide if they wan to answer it. About the only people i see using those push to talk phones are beer gutted construction workers.
    Thank you! Cell users in general are completely clueless when it come to cell phone etiquette -- the sad thing is I'm beginning to get used to it. Now the PTT thing is just over the top! Now don't flame me about how useful it is. Agreed, depending upon your job, it is very useful. I just want it to be used with a little class. I wish those who use PTT would USE THE HEADSET. That speakerphone walkie-talkie business is annoying! The other sad thing is that eventually we'll all get used to the PTT thing. But I'll still let my dog eat anyone's PTT phone!
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by randyg
    About the only people i see using those push to talk phones are beer gutted construction workers.
    I thought it was just my imagination! I just don't get the attraction of PTT. I would rather have a (relatively) private conversation in duplex than a public yelling session where I have to wait till the other person is done talking before I can respond.

    There is nothing more frustrating than having a conversation via walkie talkie with someone that can't shut up. I was recently on a job with someone where we were caravaning to a location. He kept up a running monologue about where the correct exit might be for so long that he missed the exit and my yelling at him to shut up, unkey the mic, and get off the freeway 2 exits ago.
  5. #5  
    And either because they don't care or don't read the manual, most don't realize that the phone can be held to your ear just like normal when using PTT, instead of using the external speaker.
  6. #6  
    Am I the only electrician that owns a treo ?
  7. #7  
    Unfortunately, In my business PTT is the only viable cost effective option.....But I still hate it. It gives you very little privacy and talk about a dog leash. It's like I got 9 employees plus 2 secretary's and a boss who can interrupt my life 24/7 unless I shut it off, because they don't go to voice mail. So if I don't answer- then they get to send me that nasty "alert" that sends me into a spin and elevates my blood pressure One of those necessary evils for me. But If you don't need it- trust me- you don't want it. And finally, it is really not that easy to have a fluent two-way conversation on. It's all one way- which is fine if your a boss I guess- LOL.

    To all you loud cell people- when you go to a restaurant, church, movie- That's what the silent profile feature is for!!!! USE IT!
  8. #8  
    Originally posted by azmike


    ...To all you loud cell people- when you go to a restaurant, church, movie- That's what the silent profile feature is for!!!! USE IT!
    As long as you do the same, Mr. PTT!
  9. #9  
    That's it- rub it in- LOL. Yes I am a very courteous patron and I shut everything on silent/vibe. But I guess I can't expect everyone to live by my rules of courtesy.

    Fyi- I do have a normal cell phone- and soon a treo. I only carry that stupid PTT phone when I am forced to.
  10. #10  
    Fyi- I wasn't just picking on the Cell only people- I was also including those PTT people. As my PTT is also a Cell- a loud, irritating and obnoxious cell.
  11. #11  
    Originally posted by smartphonefan
    i just heard cingular will be introducing push to talk service in early next year.

    will treo 600 be compatible with that service once it is introduced ?
    I'm not sure about Cingular, but I know Sprint's new PTT feature called Ready Link (RL) is not compatible with the CDMA Treo600 b/c it actually requires a specific radio hardware. I don't kow if this is the same case for the GSM Treo. However, is should be noted that there are several software solutions like the upcoming Kodiac app that might solve this...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  12. #12  
    A kodiak press release claims the treo 600 will be one of the first phones to "embed" the PTT software

    http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2003/1110kodiaenter.html

    So it seems that PTT will only need a software update. Sure this is just heresay.... but its better supported than the clains that RL requires hardware changes....
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by wolfbeast
    A kodiak press release claims the treo 600 will be one of the first phones to "embed" the PTT software

    http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2003/1110kodiaenter.html

    So it seems that PTT will only need a software update. Sure this is just heresay.... but its better supported than the clains that RL requires hardware changes....
    *sigh* My statement is "supported" by a myriad of sources including factual information related by Sprint themselves btw. If you don't believe me, you can call Sprint level 2 tech yourself and ask them to confirm that the Treo600 is absolutely NOT compatible with Sprint's RL service. If you don't beleive that, you can go to Hofos or SprintUsers and ask the myriad of Sprint techs the same question and you'll get the same answer. I have no doubt that a 3rd party solutions are possible, heck I even named one in my post above. In addition there are several other software solutions like fastchat, buzzchat etc that allow PTT funcitonality on the Symbian platform that mimic what Kodiac does. Thus, I agree is entirely possible to find a software work-around. However, my point is that there is NO such solution specifically for Sprint's RL on the CDMA Treo600. How Cingular and other GSM providers implement this however may be entirely different...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 11/22/2003 at 08:16 AM.
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  14. #14  
    While the SPCS Vision Tech I spoke to did not show the 600 on his list of "RL compatible phones", he DID show the Sanyo 8100 as being "upgradable" - via software - so I would say it's more than a possibility that the T600 can do the same, no?

    Then again, not even the Vision techs are always kept in the loop.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

    Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
  15. #15  
    Originally posted by JoeTampa
    While the SPCS Vision Tech I spoke to did not show the 600 on his list of "RL compatible phones", he DID show the Sanyo 8100 as being "upgradable" - via software - so I would say it's more than a possibility that the T600 can do the same, no?

    Then again, not even the Vision techs are always kept in the loop.
    Yeah, I read that as well. But as you can tell from this thread, there is also some debate regarding this as well. Basically, I truely wish the Treo600 was RL upgradeable via software....but unfortunately it doesn't seem so... The only possibility I've read are rumors at Sprintusers and etc of PalmOne releasing an updated Treo600 with RL later on...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  16. #16  
    Well, I have a T600 and the better half has an 8100, so c'est la vie! If it happens, it happens. I won't lose sleep either way given unlimited PCS-PCS.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

    Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
  17. #17  
    would you just make one D
  18. #18  
    Well, in the abstract, and after looking at Kodiak's site, it appears that all they are doing is somethink akin to VOIP but without the overhead - just sending frames in a specific encoding format that dumps the VOIP overhead. It seems quite feasible, the only trick is intergrating it into the phone so that a given button works for PTT and that PTT doesn't interfere with Vision, phone, etc.

    If I was doing it? I'd make an app that turns either the volume controls into PTT switches, or perhaps the center button. If the Treo is in phone mode (or running other software), an incoming PTT would switch to that app (and you thought that just having someone talk at you was annoying!). Actually, I'd perhaps have it just pop up a dialog and allow you to get into that mode if desired a'la Chatter.

    In other words.... This seems entirely do-able as long as you have network capability, so doing it with Sprint/CDMA/1xRTT doesn't seem to be prohibitive.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

    Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
  19. #19  
    Originally posted by azmike
    Unfortunately, In my business PTT is the only viable cost effective option.....But I still hate it. It gives you very little privacy and talk about a dog leash. It's like I got 9 employees plus 2 secretary's and a boss who can interrupt my life 24/7 unless I shut it off, because they don't go to voice mail. So if I don't answer- then they get to send me that nasty "alert" that sends me into a spin and elevates my blood pressure One of those necessary evils for me. But If you don't need it- trust me- you don't want it. And finally, it is really not that easy to have a fluent two-way conversation on. It's all one way- which is fine if your a boss I guess- LOL.

    To all you loud cell people- when you go to a restaurant, church, movie- That's what the silent profile feature is for!!!! USE IT!
    well said,! Why you would want this feature if you didn't need it is beyond me.
  20. #20  
    I actually have a Treo600 that is ReadyLink compatible. A friend of mine is an engineer for Sprint, and I was talking about how I would like to use this feature. He said follow me, took me in back, and hooked my 600 up to his laptop. The top volume button now functions as my PTT button. Now that I have it I'm not sure why I wanted it. I debated even telling you guys this, cause I don't really have anyway to back it up, but I promise you it's true. I asked him if Sprint was going to allow all Treo users acces to the upgrade. He told me it wasn't a Sprint software app, but the very one from Kodiak that he and his boss had been testing on both of their Treo's. So I guess we'll all be able to be annoying, but only through a software work around.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions