Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by DrDoom
    I actually have a Treo600 that is ReadyLink compatible. A friend of mine is an engineer for Sprint, and I was talking about how I would like to use this feature. He said follow me, took me in back, and hooked my 600 up to his laptop. The top volume button now functions as my PTT button. Now that I have it I'm not sure why I wanted it. I debated even telling you guys this, cause I don't really have anyway to back it up, but I promise you it's true. I asked him if Sprint was going to allow all Treo users acces to the upgrade. He told me it wasn't a Sprint software app, but the very one from Kodiak that he and his boss had been testing on both of their Treo's. So I guess we'll all be able to be annoying, but only through a software work around.
    Interesting...but won't this only work with other Kodiac PTT enabled phones? Are you sure the Kodiac app makes the Treo600 RL compatible?! That would be very cool indeed! B/c otherwise, if you don't now anyone else who has a RL phone, you can't use the feautre anyway and the whole point of PTT be er...pointless? Thanks for any info you can provide. This would be really interesting if the Kodiac software provided interoperability with other RL phones etc...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 11/22/2003 at 07:13 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I personally associate PTT with construction type people where they need ultra loud alerts and the ability to not have to have the phone up to the ear all the time. And usually, these phones are ruggedized so that these folks can throw them around without breaking. So putting PTT on a Treo which I see as more of a corporate device seems a bit klugy to me IMHO.

I'm not saying the T600 shouldn't do PTT - it would remove the absence of it as a sales barrier - but the question is, does it make sense to have it on the T600?

Just my $.02
    Well gfunk, now you've got me worried. The only person I've talked with this is my buddy, and he also has a T600. Most of my staff WANT RL on their phones, but as yet Sprint hasn't offered it on an employee plan, so none of them have upgraded. Also we haven't put it on our demo account yet because the reps are saying the big push isn't until after the first of the year. So until I find someone else with RL, or until I can get my buddy on the phone Monday (he has drill in the guard this weekend) I don't know. As soon as I get an answer I'll post it. Incidentally, and COMPLETELY off topic, why does my 600 seem to know to add an apostrophe on EVER contraction EXCEPT I'll?
    Originally posted by derek985
    I'm not saying the T600 shouldn't do PTT - it would remove the absence of it as a sales barrier - but the question is, does it make sense to have it on the T600?
    To an extent, I agree. I had a Nextel at work and gave it back because I couldn't stand the constant interruptions. I work in an MIS shop as a manager, and I still considered it unprofessional with the constant chirping. People did NOT know how to use it properly. But I have to admit, the idea of having the CAPABILITY is what I think is a great idea. You want PTT, you can have PTT. You don't want it, you don't have to have it. On Nextel, EVERYTHING is focused on the PTT.

But I agree with Gfunk, I wonder if this Kodiak software works with RL or just other Kodiak enabled handsets? Either way, it's very interesting news. Thanks for the news DrDoom.
    Based on the Koduak Website ut appears that kodiak is the company that palmone is using for their ptt. would that mean that the Sprint ptt service will work with Kodiak?
    So any new news on the readylink for the Treo 600? I see everyone playing with it on other phones and I want it too! Any updates? What about the kodiak software, someone in this thread said they have it on their phone.
    Looks like Orange can do a client-side software PTT:

http://www.telecom.paper.nl/index.as...329%26NR%3D230
    Doug
    Originally posted by DrDoom
    Well gfunk, now you've got me worried. The only person I've talked with this is my buddy, and he also has a T600. Most of my staff WANT RL on their phones, but as yet Sprint hasn't offered it on an employee plan, so none of them have upgraded. Also we haven't put it on our demo account yet because the reps are saying the big push isn't until after the first of the year. So until I find someone else with RL, or until I can get my buddy on the phone Monday (he has drill in the guard this weekend) I don't know. As soon as I get an answer I'll post it. Incidentally, and COMPLETELY off topic, why does my 600 seem to know to add an apostrophe on EVER contraction EXCEPT I'll?
    Doctor: I have a Sprint Readylink phone and would love to test your RL capability on T600 - my whole staff (45) have SprintRL and PCS on phones (of various types) and I would really like to add RL to my T600 and get rid of my second phone used just for RL...email me and we'll set a test time!

Charles
    Charliec
    PTT is actually very useful in the right situations and I hope that Sprint does bring it along. Just like anything else it takes the right amount of courtesy and common sense.

We won't be as irritating because the Treo600 speaker is a mega wuss compared to Nextel's superior speakerphone/PTT choices. Even on speakerphone, i have to put this thing up close to my head if in a car that isnt completely quiet or in a crowded public place.

But I doubt we'd ever see it anyway. The dumbasses can't even get SMS working!
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
  10. dpk
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintTreoUser
    And either because they don't care or don't read the manual, most don't realize that the phone can be held to your ear just like normal when using PTT, instead of using the external speaker.
    Sort of. I've tried this. Their voice is exceptionally quiet, almost silent, on my i90c. I haven't tried a headset, however (didn't want to invest in a phone that I didn't own).
  11. dpk
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    *sigh* My statement is "supported" by a myriad of sources including factual information related by Sprint themselves btw. If you don't believe me, you can call Sprint level 2 tech yourself and ask them to confirm that the Treo600 is absolutely NOT compatible with Sprint's RL service. If you don't beleive that, you can go to Hofos or SprintUsers and ask the myriad of Sprint techs the same question and you'll get the same answer. I have no doubt that a 3rd party solutions are possible, heck I even named one in my post above. In addition there are several other software solutions like fastchat, buzzchat etc that allow PTT funcitonality on the Symbian platform that mimic what Kodiac does. Thus, I agree is entirely possible to find a software work-around. However, my point is that there is NO such solution specifically for Sprint's RL on the CDMA Treo600. How Cingular and other GSM providers implement this however may be entirely different...
    Which third party solution did you mention above? I can't find anything about Kodiac (or any of the other spellings mentioned here) that indicates I can download an app to do this?

Do you know if it works between networks? I want to be able to PTT w/ someone who has a Palm but with AT&T.
    My wife and I have discussed the whole PTT/RL thing. Mainly in place of an intercom. We have come to the conclution that the FREE PCS to PCS is just fine.

If we went the Intercom route there is a problem with making it easy to access. My wife is only 3'4" and I am 6'4". So what 2 boxes per room? Even with that, we would have to get up to answer/call. And then there is interference. (Wired ones are not an opotion as we live in an apartment) And for the PTT/RL we would have to get compatable phones. That in not an option as we just got new phones in January.

Needless to say, with the Unlimited PCS to PCS we could care less about PTT/RL. Actually the big problem is that with PTT/RL, if you are in a situation where you cannot answer the phone, you cannot leave a message! So if I am driving down the road an my wife calls me, she can leave a message.

This was my opoion, what is yours.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    The top volume button now functions as my PTT button.
    Interesting, you have a Volume button.... Which Treo do you have again
    And what kind of friend do you have again???
    I heard that a GSM PTT system had been created, and Nokia and Ericsson are going to be producing phones that use it soon.
    Furthermore Orange in the UK already put it on the Treo 600- making the Treo the first GSM phone to be available with this. http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Feb2004/6555.htm is a link to info on the Treo, and here is a link http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4297.html to the Nokia. (not sure if they talk together or not)
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12