1.    #1  
    I tried to find this elsewhere, but could not...

I'm thinking of getting one of the combination charge/sync cables for my Treo and am wondering what the on/off/sleep requirements are for the Treo to charge when plugged into the computer.

Will it charge if the computer (in this case, a Powerbook G4, and possibly a regular G4 tower) is simply asleep? Could it possibly charge if the machine is off? If not, think a powered USB hub would supply working current to charge?

Thanks for any responses!
    On my Windows laptop (IBM Thinkpad), the power to the USB port goes off when the computer goes into sleep mode (even when the laptop is plugged into the wall). I'm assuming the Mac systems would be similar. For the powered USB hub, I'm assuming that would work for you.
    Great questions! Up until now, I've only used my cable directly attached to my laptop, and when it's "asleep" it doesn't send power to the USB port. It's a Thinkpad running Windows XP, so not sure if Macs might be different. I didn't see any settings in Windows or in the IBM-specific power management utilities to change this.

But, at the moment, I'm not travelling, and I do have the phone plugged into a powered hub, so I tested that for the first time.

When I put the PC into sleep mode, the hub is still sending power to the phone and the charge continues.

The only thing I noticed is that when I wake it up again, the power stops and starts again (phone does the same beep as when it's first plugged into the charger).

So it looks as if your suspicion about it working the way you'd like with a powered hub is correct, unless there is some variation that some hubs might not send power unless there's a connection, but I doubt the USB specification allows that. I imagine a device would need power before "announcing" its presence to the network.
    Sometimes I use the USB port on my cable box to charge my Treo 300
  5.    #5  
    Awesome! Thanks for the responses. This is why I love the Internet!

Originally posted by potatoho
    Sometimes I use the USB port on my cable box to charge my Treo 300
    LOL! I love it!
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jloosli
    On my Windows laptop (IBM Thinkpad), the power to the USB port goes off when the computer goes into sleep mode (even when the laptop is plugged into the wall). I'm assuming the Mac systems would be similar. For the powered USB hub, I'm assuming that would work for you.
    Oh contrare!!! The Macintosh USB ports stay active as long as there is something plugged into it. I keep my charge/sync cable plugged in for charge weather the Mac is awake, alseep, or turned off.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Many laptops will usually turn off the USB ports, though a USB port in a docking station might be left on if the laptop is docked and external power is plugged in.

As far as desktops go, sometimes that's an option you can set, other times it's not. An alternative might be to use a powered USB hub, so the USB port will always be powered, regardless of whether the computer is on or not.

- Mike
    The Playstation 2's USB ports will also power your phone (given the PS2 is on...)
    My Sony Vaio laptop will not power the Treo when shut down or hibernated, but WILL power the Treo when in "Standby".
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G