Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Cool ! Thanks so much.
    flix
    Can someone who's very knowledgable with both apps do a comparison between both apps? like does HS mail have the ability to bind to other apps like lightning zip and acid image pro?
    Someone please tell me I do not have to click on the delete button each time to delete each file in HS? My Snapper just expired and I'm not sure I want to spend $40 when HS is free.

Is there a way to highlight and delete a lot of emails. I just clicked and deleted over 100 times to clear my emails. GRRRRR

A comparison with Snapper, with HS you can Send and Fetch but not separately like with Snapper.

Please advise.

-Thanks
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Originally posted by GeekyMom

. . . A comparison with Snapper, with HS you can Send and Fetch but not separately like with Snapper.

Please advise.

-Thanks
    I still can't get that right on my 600!

I can fetch but not send, unless it is a reply.

Copied every step in my settings from my 300, where it worked fine.

NateS
    by hitting the backspace ( the key right above return) key. You can turn the delete warning off in the preferences.

For multiple deletion you have a couple of options
    1) shift and then 5 way up and down to select multiple messages
    2) use the purge menu command

The HS Mail app can also download basically large messages (I have done 3 meg messages) and large folder 5000 messages. Performance in both cases is pretty bad. But that is probably true ofor any POP client
    Last edited by david050173; 12/05/2003 at 06:21 PM.
    Thanks David, that makes a big difference.

Originally posted by NateS

I still can't get that right on my 600!

I can fetch but not send, unless it is a reply.

Copied every step in my settings from my 300, where it worked fine.

NateS
    Nate, what internet provider are you using? I know there are special steps one has to take in setting up "Server" for Sending HS E-mail when using Comcast High speed.

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Originally posted by david050173
    The HS Mail app can also download basically large messages (I have done 3 meg messages) and large folder 5000 messages. Performance in both cases is pretty bad. But that is probably true ofor any POP client
    When you download large attachments with the HS app and later delete and purge them, do you find that the RAM space is NOT recovered on your Treo? If you use FileZ, you will see some files called "Email_libr_HsMp_BBXXXXXX.prc" on your Treo that correspond to each account within HS Mail. For my most active email account, which I use for sending pictures and stuff, this file had balloon to nearly 2 MB. These files won't go away or get any smaller, even if I purge every message in my inbox, sent, and deleted folders.

To free up the RAM, I routinely delete the account from within the HS Mail app and then just create it again. A bit annoying to say the least.

I'm using the beta version of HS Mail that I installed on my Sprint Treo600.
    Last edited by sbono13; 12/05/2003 at 10:34 PM.
    Thanks David, that makes a big difference.

Nate, what internet provider are you using? I know there are special steps one has to take in setting up "Server" for Sending HS E-mail when using Comcast High speed.
    The answer is somewhat convoluted. My ISP is BuckeyeExpress, our local cable provider, whose high speed service is great on my computers. But my ISP address remains that of a local group called Sylvania Electronic Village, which is served by BE and has its own server address - sev.org

Does that help?

NateS
    with the DB not shrinking when large messages are deleted. The record count doesn't go down but the amount of memory does go back to what it should be. Are you sure you emptied the deleted items folder before looking at the size?
    Nate, this may not help but here is a thread where I listed the steps to getting HS to work for me for Comcast:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ast+cable.html

If this doesn't help, you may want to call your internet provider to get setting information. That's what I ended up doing to get the information needed to set up my HS.

Good Luck.

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Originally posted by david050173
    Are you sure you emptied the deleted items folder before looking at the size?
    Hi David,

I'm sure that I emptied my deleted files folder... I didn't have a single email in any of my folders (inbox, sent, drafts, filed, or deleted), yet the email_libr file remained at nearly 2 MB. I then deleted the account within HS Mail and recreated it. The file was 22 K at this point. I then reproduced the bug by sending myself a large attachment, deleting it, emptying the trash, and then noticing that the file was over 300 K. My friend's Treo is also exhibiting this bug. Can you report back as to the size of your email_libr_HsMp_BBxxxxx file? You'll need to look at it using fileZ.
    Last edited by sbono13; 12/05/2003 at 10:36 PM.
    Nate, this may not help but here is a thread where I listed the steps to getting HS to work for me for Comcast:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ast+cable.html

If this doesn't help, you may want to call your internet provider to get setting information. That's what I ended up doing to get the information needed to set up my HS.

Good Luck.

FINALLY, EMAIL OUTGOING IS WORKING!

Ok, I broke down and called Tech Support and got to the Level 2 to get my problem solved. So for those wishing to use Comcast Cable E-mail and could not send messages:

I got it to work on Eudora (which is free)

THE SETUP:
    Basic:
    Return address:JaneDoe@comcast.net
    Username: JaneDoe (minus Comcast suffix)
    Incoming Server: mail.comcast.net
    Outgoing Server: smtp.sprintpcs.com

Recieve: X Overlap Pop3 commands

Send: Real Name: Jane Doe

Security:
    x Password
    Authenticqation: Best Available
    Security (SSL): If Available

Outgoing STMP: Select Best Available
    Authentication: Best Available

Put your Password in the Security Section. That was the missing link.

Now I can finally SEND emails! And the funny thing is that when I called Sprint it was re my Word Docs and resorted to asking about the E-mail. YAY.

Thank God for good Tech Support!

Dear GeekyMom - You solved my problem! It too was in the last step - my password. However, when I entered the password directly in Security, send failed again, but when I took it out, forcing Eudora to ask for my password, typed it in and clicked on the box to save it, then and ever since then my sends have been going out perfectly!

Thanks for providing a complete flight check list to solve the problem, so that anyone reading it could go through the whole thing to track down their own "missing link"

Regards,

NateS
    I will take a another look at it on monday since I don't have the right tools at home. The mail file will grow a bit over the start even if you delete all the messages since it has to store info about which messages have been downloaded, and some other preferences but it shouldn't be up at 2 megs.

Originally posted by sbono13

Hi David,

I'm sure that I emptied my deleted files folder... I didn't have a single email in any of my folders (inbox, sent, drafts, filed, or deleted), yet the email_libr file remained at nearly 2 MB. I then deleted the account within HS Mail and recreated it. The file was 22 K at this point. I then reproduced the bug by sending myself a large attachment, deleting it, emptying the trash, and then noticing that the file was over 300 K. My friend's Treo is also exhibiting this bug. Can you report back as to the size of your email_libr_HsMp_BBxxxxx file? You'll need to look at it using fileZ.
    the key is that after u mark a mail as Junk, it does not delete off the server until ur next ferch - I always make a point of one last fetch when I finissh my email 2 be sure it is not on my server when I get home
    With a cable based email system (Comcast/Roadrunner), you cannot send mail via their system, though you can receive it - as you have found out. This is regardless of the email program you are using (I've used Eudora, HS and Snappermai and Chatter).

However, in addition to using Sprint's smtp system, you can also use others. For instance, I pay for Yahoo's extended email functionality and use their smtp to send mail out on all of my accounts except for the Roadrunner and Sprint accounts.

The speed and service obtained using the Yahoo smtp feature is better than Sprint's smtp service (IMHO).

============

Originally posted by NateS

Dear GeekyMom - You solved my problem! It too was in the last step - my password. However, when I entered the password directly in Security, send failed again, but when I took it out, forcing Eudora to ask for my password, typed it in and clicked on the box to save it, then and ever since then my sends have been going out perfectly!

Thanks for providing a complete flight check list to solve the problem, so that anyone reading it could go through the whole thing to track down their own "missing link"

Regards,

NateS
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Btw, is included with a Treo 600 on Cingular. It's not a bad email app, but it doesn't seem to do Imap or attachments (other than camera images and midi files) It does support the five-way pad which is great for one-handed use.

My Cingular Treo seems to be a carrier free version, only a Cingular logo on it when you start the phone function. I have already replaced that with a more generic Treo Logo.

Mike
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12