1.    #1  
    Hi,

Got my Treo yesterday afternoon. It has the contact soft reset problem that I see mentioned here by other posters. Problem is identical: You pick an addresss out of the contact (to send picture mail)and it causes the phone to reset. I have tried what the other posters said and had same results. Tried on 3 different computers, all the same. Has anyone ever found a fix (other than not using contacts)?

I have 14 days to return but would really like to give the phone a chance but for this kinda of $$$ it has to work better than this.

Thanks, Fletch
    go to Handspring's support page for Treo 600. They had a fix for my soft reset when manually entering a url, so they should have a fix for this. What happened to mine was 2 invisible files got corrupted and they suggest using fileZ to delete the 2 files. This worked for me. They should have a similar fix for "contacts".
    This is fixable.... Woll appeared to have found the solution which also worked for me thank god. Uninstall the Plam Desktop and install the version off the Handsrping site. The one he used and I also used requires you to input your serial off the back before you can download it. I did that, did a hard reset of my phone so that it didn't hav the old corrupted DB and re-synced and everything works fine now. So it appears the Desktop version on the cd was buggered up........... I found the download by going through the Palmone site, looking for support or downloads and then when I clicked on my phone it directed me back to the handsrping site with the download. Starting the search at the HS site I couldnt find it. If you have any problems locating it drop a note here and I'll dig it up for ya.

P.S. If you use a 3rd party conduit like Intellisync, once you uninstall re-install youll have to reinstall the conduit to get it working again.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks a mill. I will give this a try tonight....wait..this is bugging me so much that I think I will go home now and try it now. I saw some of your posts on this issue this morning but didn't realized you guys had it figured out . I was pulling my hair out cause I already love this little phone except for that problem and lack of email client. Anyway let me run and see if I can get it going. Will post back yea or nay.
    Regards,
    Fletch

Originally posted by itlan
    This is fixable.... Woll appeared to have found the solution which also worked for me thank god. Uninstall the Plam Desktop and install the version off the Handsrping site. The one he used and I also used requires you to input your serial off the back before you can download it. I did that, did a hard reset of my phone so that it didn't hav the old corrupted DB and re-synced and everything works fine now. So it appears the Desktop version on the cd was buggered up........... I found the download by going through the Palmone site, looking for support or downloads and then when I clicked on my phone it directed me back to the handsrping site with the download. Starting the search at the HS site I couldnt find it. If you have any problems locating it drop a note here and I'll dig it up for ya.

P.S. If you use a 3rd party conduit like Intellisync, once you uninstall re-install youll have to reinstall the conduit to get it working again.
  5.    #5  
    Rats...I am at home and just tried it..same luck...

regards,
    Fletch
    Hmm...well I am back to feeling your pain.....Before I could never send even a single pic without the reset. After the install I sent about 15-16 pics and suddenly BAM. I am back to getting resets............

To me I dont really mind since once you type in the address once it caches it and the next time it only take 2-3 key stroaks before the entire thing gets autofilled. So IM trying to rationalize it away but I consider it a minor thing and will prolly try some more testing later...Interesting that it workd flwalessly for a while and then suddenly after 3 or 4 syncs the DB got waxed again. Atleast everything else on my phone works great
    fletchb: Are you saving the pic to a SD card? Also, what revision is it? I'm saving it to the internal memory, and it works just fine, but when I save it to the SD card, and try to share, it soft resets. Trying to share from the card results in a "This feature is not supported. Please move the picture from the SD card and try again."
  8.    #8  
    Mine won't share from card.....gives me the same message. have to send from internal ram. My rev is B. Some of the reports say C is ok. I could not get handspring on the phone and sprint said their computers were down for 4 hours so they could not help me. Well that was this morning...so I am going to try and call them again on the way back to work...

I can return so I am ok there..just that I do like the phone..but need contacts/outlook to work.

Regards,
    Fletch (back to work now)
    Hmm...well I am back to feeling your pain.....Before I could never send even a single pic without the reset. After the install I sent about 1516 pics and suddenly BAM. I am back to getting resets............

To me I dont really mind since once you type in the address once it caches it and the next time it only take 2-3 key stroaks before the entire thing gets autofilled. So IM trying to rationalize it away but I consider it a minor thing and will prolly try some more testing later...Interesting that it workd flwalessly for a while and then suddenly after 3 or 4 syncs the DB got waxed again. Atleast everything else on my phone works great
    I should probably post this in it's own thread, but I've fixed this problem on my Treo and haven't had a reset in weeks.

My method is based on the KB article posted on HS's site. You'll need FileZ installed.

Part 1:
    - Open FileZ
    - select Filter
    - filter settings:
    Filename Contains
    enter "auto"
    - you should see:
    Web Find Autofill
    Web URL Autofill
    - select both
    - select Delete from the menu

Part 2:
    - Quit FileZ and Launch Blazer
    - Don't do anything in Blazer, and reopen FileZ
    - select Filter
    - filter settings:
    Filename Contains
    enter "auto"
    - you should see:
    Web Find Autofill
    Web URL Autofill
    Both files should be 84b in size. if the second column is not "Size" you can tap the triangle between the columns and select "Size" to confirm
    - select one of these files
    - select "Details"
    - select "Attributes"
    - check "Read Only"
    - select Save
    - do the same for the other Autofill file.

This method deletes your autofill files, then creates default ones through Blazer. Then by making them read-only, they don't become "corrupted"(HS's term, not mine).

Following this method fixes all of my input-related crashes.

Conrad
    I'm on Revision B as well, and I dont feel like going to the local Sprint store anytime soon. Its not exactly a show-stopping feature for me, much less something I will use often. Has a workaround anyway (Save to card, move to internal mem, share, move back to card.)
    For what it's worth, I have a revision C and also have the same reset problem.
  13.    #13  
    Ok I spent much of the afternoon talking with sprint. First national help...they were very nice but I could quickly tell I knew much more about palms, etc than 2 of their techs. I told them what all I had read/tried here. The last tech (again very nice) just didn't know what to do and was going to bump it up another tier. But we got disconnected as he was doing the tranfer. He did suggest I talk with local sprint about getting a newer revision ..so I gave them a call. I could tell right away that the local tech was much more knowlegable so it made it much easier to talk with him. They have one C phone in stock and are trying to get permission from headquarters to swap with me. They know I have the 14 day deadline so I am sure we will work something out. Crossing my fingers as I love this little phone

Regards,
    Fletch
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by Ksilebo
    I'm on Revision B as well, and I dont feel like going to the local Sprint store anytime soon. Its not exactly a show-stopping feature for me, much less something I will use often. Has a workaround anyway (Save to card, move to internal mem, share, move back to card.)
    Ok your problem is different (less severe).
    Several of us can't even share an internal pic without the resets... I wish mine only had your problem

Regards,
    Fletch