1.    #1  
    #1 No support for "real" authenticated SMTP. I know people have posted saying it does. But I'm here to tell you that it does not. Not the way VersaMail does for example. My SMTP server will only let me send mail if I am authenticated. HS Mail does not allow me to do this. VersaMail does.

#2 No filtering

#3 No way to set up user mail folders

#4 No indication at the top of the screen which mail account you are in.

#5 No attachment support (except sounds and pics)

#6 Bug when you do download attachments. I downloaded a 1.2 meg zip file. Even after I deleted my mail and emptying my trash my Email_libr_HsMp_xxxx file was 1.2 megs bigger than it should be. This file just continues to grow and grow. You must delete the file and reinstall the HS mail app to get it back to its normal size. Moral of the story.. Don't download attachments with this app because you can't open them and you can't delete them fully.

#7 No IMAP support.

Versamail does not have any of these problems. Why didn't PalmOne just adopt a version of VersaMail to work with the Treo 5 way button rather than create a new sub par mail app?

I looked on Handspring's site for a place to request features and report bugs for their mail app and was not sucessful finding it, so I decied to post here. Feel free to add to the list.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Originally posted by rc46
    #6 Bug when you do download attachments. I downloaded a 1.2 meg zip file. Even after I deleted my mail and emptying my trash my Email_libr_HsMp_xxxx file was 1.2 megs bigger than it should be. This file just continues to grow and grow. You must delete the file and reinstall the HS mail app to get it back to its normal size. Moral of the story.. Don't download attachments with this app because you can't open them and you can't delete them fully.
    [/B]
    Marvelous...I was just doing this today. I emailed a prc to my phone that I wanted to install as my computer USB cable is at home right now. I used to do this with the snappermail trial pretty easily. I could email a zip file with all the program's prc and pdb files, and choose "unzip and install" straight from Handzipper. So I emailed and opened the email with HS Email, and you can click on the attachment and choose to download the entire attachment. HOWEVER, every time I do this, it's like it goes nowhere. It takes all the time to download the zip, but then when you click on the attachment again in the email message, it continues to give the "This File is not currently on your phone. Do you want to download this attachment now?" message!!! I have tried like 4-5 times to do this, and the results are the same. If what you are saying is true, I am just dumping this zip file a couple times over on my 600, and it will just sit in a database file and waste space? I'll have to look into this - because that's a big bug in my opinion!
    I wonder if there is something about zip files that the HSMail program doesn't like. I know that Snappermail has Handzipper Lite built in to handle zip files. I emailed a .prc and a .pdb file and downloaded them with no problems using HSMail.
    I am concerned about the Email_libr_HsMp_xxxx file. It seems that when you delete messages, they really don't go away. I manually deleted the emails in my deleted folder and assumed that they were gone for good. HSMail needs a "Empty trash on exit" command that really empties the trash.
    On another note, I noticed several files that are apparently other language versions of HSMail--deDE, frFR, etc. Do you think that they can be safely removed?
    Zane
    explain 1). As I said in another thread, HS Mail definitely uses smtp auth whenever possible. Just because there isn't a checkbox to turn on the feature doesn't mean it doesn't exist. What server are you using? Did you enter your SMTP username and password.

5) is wrong. It will support any file that registers with exchange manager. There is a word viewer included on the CD which works. If apps follow the PalmSource guidelines for attachments (none currently do,) they will show up in the compose view. You can also use send for most other types. It doesn't support .zip out of the box though. Snapper mails tool might work but I haven't tried it

6) I havn't seen this. My file does get smaller when I delete messages

7) Hs Mail was written long before Handspring and Palm merged.

You can delete teh _frFR files if you want. Those are foriegn language overlays. If you are using english, you only need the enUS files.

There is no empty trash on exit, but the trash folder will only grow to 200 items.

If you read the read me you can write
    MailBetaFeedback@plmone.com
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    I had noticed this also... my file had ballooned to 2 MB, so i just deleted it with Filez. When i relaunched Mail, 2 out of my 5 accounts were missing, so i reconfigured them and everything seemed to work fine after that.
    > #1 No support for "real" authenticated SMTP.

You are wrong about this. Even Sprint's SMTP server requires authentication, for chrissakes. The HS Mail client works fine.

There may be some other problem with your particular mail server, but not supporting SMTP authentication ain't it.

You might consider whether the problem is just that your SMTP server won't relay for anything outside its network.

BTW, the Sprint SMTP server would work just as well for you as the one you are trying and failing to use. It's just a relay host, after all. It doesn't affect where your mail appears to come from or where replies get sent. Why do you not want to use it?

b.g.
    Originally posted by david050173
    explain 1). As I said in another thread, HS Mail definitely uses smtp auth whenever possible. Just because there isn't a checkbox to turn on the feature doesn't mean it doesn't exist. What server are you using? Did you enter your SMTP username and password.

5) is wrong. It will support any file that registers with exchange manager. There is a word viewer included on the CD which works. If apps follow the PalmSource guidelines for attachments (none currently do,) they will show up in the compose view. You can also use send for most other types. It doesn't support .zip out of the box though. Snapper mails tool might work but I haven't tried it

6) I havn't seen this. My file does get smaller when I delete messages

7) Hs Mail was written long before Handspring and Palm merged.

You can delete teh _frFR files if you want. Those are foriegn language overlays. If you are using english, you only need the enUS files.

There is no empty trash on exit, but the trash folder will only grow to 200 items.

If you read the read me you can write
    MailBetaFeedback@plmone.com
    So can you tell me how you succesfully utilized zip attachments? Both incoming and outgoing (composing)? I was trying to use "HandZipperLite' which came with snappermail (so I just left it on my system since it is free). And what is this exchange manager?
    done a zip file. I also haven't tried. The exchange manager is a way for programs to talk to one another. Hs Mail doesn't know anything about how to display word docs, vcards, jpegs, gifs, sounds, zip files, and so on. But any programmer can write a program to display these types of files and they can then register with the OS so that other apps can take advantage of them. If you go to palm gear there are a bunch of zipper apps that claim to support the exchange manager. You could try one of them. Some of them might require that you run the zip app before going to mail ( thats a bug in those apps). I would suggest trying LightNzip or PalmHandZipper 1.1.2. Let me know if you have any luck.
    PalmHandZipper is the app that is on my machine (the lite version), but I still can't properly open a zip attachment with the HS Mail program. GOOD news is that, even though I "got entire message" or chose to "download attachment" multiple times over, it appears my email databases are well under the size (i.e., the attachment didn't stick in the database). My file was 1.4 MB in size, but my mail .pdbs are both well under 700 K (I have two email accounts set up as it runs now).
    This happens to me too. I received two files, each > 3MB. I deleted them and then emptied trash, but the memory was still used. (I knew this because I noticed that I usually have space for >400 more pictures, but now I had space for only 60...)

I uninstalled HS Mail and got the memory back.

Trying out Snappermail now.
    #1 No support for "real" authenticated SMTP. I know people have posted saying it does. But I'm here to tell you that it does not. Not the way VersaMail does for example. My SMTP server will only let me send mail if I am authenticated. HS Mail does not allow me to do this. VersaMail does.

#5 No attachment support (except sounds and pics)

#7 No IMAP support.

#1 It does support SMTP authentication. I have used it with my company mail server and it requires SMTP authorization to work. You have to go to the "Advanced" tab in the account settings and under "For outgoing mail server:" put in the "User Name" and "Password:". Has worked great for me from day 1.

#5 I can open Word, Excel, and HTML attachments using this client just fine. NonZipped apps work fine too and install. I don't send myself zipped attachments anyway, what is the point. Just send them nonzipped, download the attachment when you want it, then delete after using. It may handle zip files fine if you have an unzip application that is written for the 600 and properly registers the application extension types it handles with the OS, but I am not sure on this.

#7 Very few clients do support this at this time. Most IMAP server will allow you to use POP3 to download your mail anyway. My company uses IMAP, but I have it working fine with POP3 and having the client set to not delete any messages.

The application is free. If you want more features then pay for them. HS/PalmOne is not making any money off the sales or support of this application so I can see why they don't care about bugs or anything else. This application works great for basic mail features and functionallity and I didn't have to pay anyone a dime for it. I tried the demo of snapper and iambic mail. Both were good, but nowhere near worth $30 more for me.
    You can now attach any file in ram or on the external card to HS/Palm Mail with SendIt. send any file anywhere. check it out www.toysoft.ca/sendit.html
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca