1.    #1  
    I have been reading all the threads/posts and reviews on the Treo 600. As I previously owned a Treo 270 and would love to upgrade to a new Treo 600 once released in Australia I am proposing the following.

The question I am asking here guys is, what do you think overall of the device you have purchased.

Australia is currently still waiting for the immanent release of the Treo 600. Was delayed from 1st week in Nov to 1st week of Dec.

With 1-2 weeks to go I really need to hear from those who currently own a Treo 600 and want to voice their opinions good or bad on the overall product.

This will help me to make the final decision to purchase as this device is going to hit the market in Australia with a $1299 recommended retails price.

Give me the run down.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

I'm delighted with mine (Orange GSM). I had a 270 too and this is a step up in all round build quality, design, ergonomics and functionality.

I haven't had a single problem (other than that caused by old, not fully compatible software) and would wholeheartedly recommend this device.
    It's not very scientific, but I submitted a poll back in October to gauge satisfaction levels...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=39657

Although it's only got 47 votes, the overwhelming majority are positive.
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
  4.    #4  
    Thanks to those who have replied. By the look of things I am on a winner if I buy this item. The cost is a hard thing to swollow but maybe shopping around will reduce the hurt.

If anyone else has feedback I should consider please submit a reply.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)

5.    #5  
    The thing with buying this unit is the number of posts on here indicating problems.

I mean a new device like this should be relatively error or fault free I would think.

Am I wrong in being cautious about buying the Treo 600.

I buy games which usually require patching but I have to admit its a little daunting when you see the device can't do this or can't do that and then it don't work or something is dead.

You can't patch these babies. Once bought your stuck with the $1299 Australian paperweight or am I wrong.

Convince me otherwise.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour

I've had my new Treo 600 for just 5 days and like it more the longer I grow accustomed to it. I lurked on this forum for over a month before I decided to take the plunge--even with reports of problems.

The risk of being an early adopter of anything is that there will be some problems. That is a very realistic expectation, especially in today's competitive rush-to-market environment. I got a Mini Cooper S as soon as they were released in the US. Did I have problems that reflected my being an early adopter? Yes. Do I regret having done so. Not in the least.

Do I expect the things I find annoying about the Treo 600 to be resolved in its next release? Yes, but I will still enjoy it every day.

The choice to buy it now was all mine, and I choose to enjoy every moment of it.

Have fun with yours!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Ancient_One
    The thing with buying this unit is the number of posts on here indicating problems.

I mean a new device like this should be relatively error or fault free I would think.

Am I wrong in being cautious about buying the Treo 600.

I buy games which usually require patching but I have to admit its a little daunting when you see the device can't do this or can't do that and then it don't work or something is dead.

You can't patch these babies. Once bought your stuck with the $1299 Australian paperweight or am I wrong.

Convince me otherwise.

I have used the 270 for over a year and really enjoyed it. It was my right arm. Well let me tell you, this phone blows it out of the water. There is no comparison. Like you, I was nervous because it seemed like there was/is so many negative posts regarding it. Reading them week after week about this problem and that problem, I began to think I might stick with my 270. I received my 600 a few days ago and I have yet to post a single nice thing about it here on the forum, even though it is the greatest tool ever!! No matter what the product is, when it comes to the internet, most people post their complaints and very few post their praises. I am a perfect example of that, until now. I LOVE MY TREO 600!!!!!!!!!!

Kirby
    well I'm not using a GSM model, nor am I in Australia, but my transition from a 300 to a 600 went great. No issues at all. Love the device and would say jump in with both feet!!!
    I am currently stuck with my 180 awaiting TMobile's release of the 600 (and then who knows how long before a 600 actually ships to me). My question is, how is the device as a phone? I realize that this is, in part based on network used and location. But I never knew how bad my 180 was as a phone until I had to swap sim cards with my wife's Nokia 3650. The Nokia get calls with great quality compared to the 180. The 180 can't get a connection when and where any other phone can. And when calls do go through, half of the time either I can't hear them or they say "You're breaking up." No such problems with my wife's little Nokia. The 600 couldn't be any worse. Please tell me it is quite good as a GSM phone.
    Sorry to be a party pooper, but the Treo 600 is a disappointment. Had it for a few days now, read through the posts, and my conclusion is that it is NOT worth buying this phone, especially if you have the 300.

The phone reception/clarity is horrible. You can barely make out what people are saying at times. Cup your hand put it on your mouth and try to speak. Thats how the person on the other end is gonna sound on your phone. Now add a constant buzz/static to that. The speakerphone is horrible because it is not focused and projects away from you making a dispersed type of sound. I could barely understand my friends while talking on the phone from several different places, including the road (I-55) and my home. This is the most important aspect and if it doesnt make the mark here, it's going back.

I expected the blazer browser to be able to display pages that the 300 couldn't. Guess what-IT STILL CAN'T DISPLAY THOSE PAGES. Examples-sprintpcs.com, vw.com, carsdirect.com, carreview.com. When you're trying to log in, or get to links on that page, they are Win32 or java applications. And if you click on those links, it will not send, its just nothing happens. its like a dead link. WTF!!! I thought they fixed the java compatability problems. Not. This phone is definitly going back. Dont trust Jeff Hawkins anymore.

The screen-is no better than the Treo 300. All those things you're hearing about it being ok in sunlight. LIE!!! Big lie! Its the same as the 300 in teh sunlight, can't see ****. Try making a phone call or flipping thru apps while walking on the sidewalk on a sunny day. you cant even see the dial pad. So forget trying to schedule contacts or go into your calendar or see pics, when you cant even see the screen. I thought the camera would be enjoyable. Well, its best for outside use, but wtf if you cant even see the screen, you can't take a good pic!!!

to me thats already 3 losses. 0 for 3. Phone reception is the most important, and this phone has the worst I have ever heard. EVER. Thats how bad it is. The only other alternative for me right now is the Sony P900, and that's $700, and no keyboard..so i'll have to wait till Treo 700.
    Really, you can invest the money almost eyes closed!

OK there will be slicker phones like the new P900 but, to me, the question is what do you want:

A working horse: (almost) perfect phone and a full function PDA with a camera as a bonus.

or

A gadget: loaded with multi media stuff and all other bells & wistles?

For me it's the phone I've been waiting for: "Palmer" since the beginning (Palm Pro up to M505) and always usefull phone (from Micro-Tac to R520m), I now have everything combined.

I admit, the screen could be nicer, there's no aknowledgment for SMS but that doesn't affect the use, it would be "nice to have" features!

BTW, the screen is so bright, you can use it as torch!

Go ahead, you'll like it!

Bye,

Ton
    As a phone it's much better than the T300. I have better reception and crystal clear calls ... both from my perspective and the caller's perspective. The form factor, although not significantly different, just feels better. There's more heft and it feels like a phone.

As a pda, it excels. I use it alot every day. I use Agendus and it works very well.

Internet ... well the T300 is dust in the wind compared to this device! It is so much faster and I have yet to go to a website and not be able to view it. Granted, it may not be able to get 100% of the sites out there, but, when I use it I experience no problems. First and foremost this is a device that is a phone and pda, and does a fine job on the web.

Email ... well, with the new email program available from Palm1 ... it's like night and day. It works (for my needs) flawlessly. It's fast and I can work my email effectively while on the road.

The screen ... so the resolution isn't hi-rez, I really don't care. It is much better than the screen on my old T300. It is bright, really bright and I have no problems with sunlight issues. Living in South Florida ... trust me, sun could be an issue ... but it just hasn't been for me. I can see the screen easily, even with polarized sunglasses on.

Would I get this device again ... absolutely. No reservations. It has been one of the best business tool buys I have ever made.

Just my 2 cents.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    My 2¢, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 » Treo 600 » Treo 700P » *** Unmentionable *** » Pre {rooted}
  14.    #14  
    "there's no aknowledgment for SMS but that doesn't affect the use"

Someone mentioned this a few replies back. What does that mean? You send an SMS and don;t receive a response to say it was sent.? You can't send SMS at all?

Please explain this thanks.

Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    The Treo600 Is set up for SMS Send and Receive in the 600 software, but send isnt available yet directly from sprint. Only receive is activated. They are working on a new SMS system so it will not be ready till who knows maybe next year sometime

In the meanwhile... This works

With the PDAApps application Treo600SMS You can send and reply to sms messages. (Also Treo300SMS for those who still use it)

Also if you get error 19 when using this program it's because you can only send sms messages to phone numbers that have 10 digits I.E. 917-448-4949 and NOT numbers that begin with 1 I.E. 1-917-448-4949 - so remove the "automatically dial 1" option and all should be well, Or, manually delete the 1 from the SMS send to box - leaving only the 10 digit number (this does not apply to sending sms to email addresses)

Also pick up snappermail for email
    As well as TreoAlertManager - good apps to have
    Last edited by rudelover2; 11/24/2003 at 01:45 PM.
    Originally posted by Ancient_One
    "there's no aknowledgment for SMS but that doesn't affect the use"

Someone mentioned this a few replies back. What does that mean? You send an SMS and don;t receive a response to say it was sent.? You can't send SMS at all?

Please explain this thanks.

Normally on GSM phones, when you send these small text messages (SMS), you can ask for a confirmation.
    As soon as the message is displayed on the receiver's phone, you get a message that it has been displayed. It's like a receipt.

Unfortunately the Tréo doesn't know this feature.

Bye,

Ton
    Originally posted by rudelover2
    The Treo600 Is set up for SMS Send and Receive in the 600 software, but send isnt available yet directly from sprint. Only receive is activated. They are working on a new SMS system so it will not be ready till who knows maybe next year sometime

In the meanwhile... This works

With the PDAApps application Treo600SMS You can send and reply to sms messages. (Also Treo300SMS for those who still use it)

Also if you get error 19 when using this program it's because you can only send sms messages to phone numbers that have 10 digits I.E. 917-448-4949 and NOT numbers that begin with 1 I.E. 1-917-448-4949 - so remove the "automatically dial 1" option and all should be well, Or, manually delete the 1 from the SMS send to box - leaving only the 10 digit number (this does not apply to sending sms to email addresses)

Also pick up snappermail for email
    As well as TreoAlertManager - good apps to have
    The PDAApps site says that HUGE delays can result when you send sms messages to phones on other systems. How real a problem is this?
    I have moved from various Psion devises to Windon CE and Palm (not in that order!) I recently moved from my old Clie T615 to the Treo 600. I now don't carry a phone and a PDA.

I am with Orange UK (GSM version)

FIRST "THE BAD":
    * There is no time counter or SMS counter as far as I can work out - and I like to keep track of how I am going with my free anytime minutes.
    * I want to get GPRS - but there is no kb counter - I would like one.
    * I haven't figured out how to do the Grafitty "/" stroke to select certain menus - I miss this particularly in DocToGo.
    * I haven't figured out how to highlight words and sentences to copy and paste etc.
    * Don't like the built in picture app. Can't seem to sort pics in folders on the SD card (or at least I can't just yet!) I need to find a cheap alternative....

SECOND "THE SURPRISES":
    * Going from a hirez to smaller lowrez screen hasn't been so bad. It's bright and the whites are REALLY white.
    * It's not too big, and many people are mighty curious about it, who are not into PDA's or gadgets. It seems to have something to do with it being a phone which seems to be able to do loads of ****... Mmmmm, if only they knew JUST HOW MUCH!
    * I have ditched Agendus for the built in Calender.... for now. Tried the update, but it doesn't work so well with the navigation pad (yet!) But when it does I'll have to pay another $9.95US to upgrade... I'm sure it was only yesterday that I upgraded to vs 6.xx!!!! I am deciding whether to stick to the relative simplicity of the inbuilt one... which really works rather well and straigh forward. It means I spend lass time syuffing around with icons and tasty colours...

NOW "THE GOOD":
    * Love getting email on the go. I use Snappermail, since I used it on my Clie - but maybe I should give the built in one a chance first before wasting RAM - Mmmmm?
    * The browser works well for me. I have been playing with GPRS and I find it surprisingly fast!
    * The screen
    * The navigation pad and keyboard lets you do mostly everything!
    * I love the SMS chat thing - where you can follow a thread of what you have sent and the other person has sent back. I can txt well fast with the keyboard!
    * It's fast.
    * Battery life has been good.
    * Hasn't failed me yet! (it's been stable)
    * Nice size / pocketable (compared to carrying PDA/Phone EVERYWHERE!)
    * Can switch off the phone and use it on a plane (handy on my line of work...)
    * MP3 and all (got Pocket Tunes for free!
    * Clear voice when talking to people (so far!)
    * Works with my Palm Wireless Keyboard
    * Does what my old Clie does AND my phone. The combo JUST WORKS FOR ME...

I could go on. But in some ways it is all a bit personal in terms of what YOU are looking for in one of these gadgets. I've always wanted to combine my phone and PDA ever since I became a gypsy of sorts (back in my Psion 5mx + Ericson SH888 days!), but only now battry life and ease of use etc have become a reality (enough of a reality) for me. If that's what you're looking for - "then you go girl!) He he!