1.    #1  
    What happens when you dial 611 from the cingular phone using a T-Mobile Sim Card?

Does it work as normal?

If not, what happens?

-Mike
    *dials 611 on his Cingular Treo 600 w/ a T-Mobile SIM in it*

"Welcome to T-Mobile customer care"

FS: GSM Treo 600 with Accesories.... here.
  3.    #3  
    YEEEEEEEEES, YEEEEEEEHHHHHAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW....

That was the ONLY thing i was still worried about.... tom 10:30 it is mine

We know it's a bad sign when weebit goes Cingular! ;-)
    I ordered mine last night. I'm afraid it won't go out until Xmas.
    I wish I could rent one for a month...
    That does it for me too. Now, I have to find a Cingular store that will sell me one without Cingular service! (not an easy prospect, I suspect)

Andrew
    I called a Cingular store in Dallas yesterday to try to get a phone. I was told that I would have to pay an extra $200 (on top of the $600 price) to get a phone if I didn't have Cingular service and didn't set service up. Needless to say, I ordered a Cingular version yesterday from Handspring to use with T-mobile. I should have done it on Nov. 3rd. Now I'll have to wait another 2-4 weeks to get one.
    Its REALLY easy to buy a cingular phone from cingular without a contract.

Just go in and say you want to buy a phone as a present for a friend who HAS CINGULAR service. This is what I did.
    Gadget: I feel the same way. I was giving T-Mobile the benefit of the doubt and now I regret it...
    Ugh. I just called several Cingular stores in NYC, and not only do they NOT have the 600, but they said if you buy it from a Cingular store, IT WILL BE LOCKED! They claim only a phone sold from Handspring for Cingular will be unlocked. Are they right? Or is this another case of someone not knowing what they're talking about?
    Ordered mine last night as well. I'm kicking myself for not having done so early in the month. Hoping I have a nice Christmas present, either on-time or hopefully a week or two before!
    Originally posted by tommygreen
    Ordered mine last night as well. I'm kicking myself for not having done so early in the month. Hoping I have a nice Christmas present, either on-time or hopefully a week or two before!
    i guess you no longer on the fence.

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Felipe

i guess you no longer on the fence.

Oops, you're right! I need to update my location. Doing that now!
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    Its REALLY easy to buy a cingular phone from cingular without a contract.

Just go in and say you want to buy a phone as a present for a friend who HAS CINGULAR service. This is what I did.
    Some Cingular stores will sell without a contract and some will not.
    I tried buying a SE T616 at a local cingular store to use on TMobile, because Cingular's SE T616 was unlocked.
    I told the salesman I was buying it for my fiance as a b-day gift.
    He wouldn't do it. Said I needed her there so he could put it on her account or something.
    WeeBit and others:

I've been a lurker, but would greatly appreciate your help.

I see WeeBit's off to get a Cingular Treo 600 to use on T-Mobile.

I need to decide by end-of-day Mon Nov 24 if I want to get the Cingular 600 (ordering from Handspring with my upgrade from a Treo 180) or wait until who-knows-when when T-Mobile has a 600.

Could you guys help me with a few questions?:

1. have you activated your Cingular phone on T-mobile and did it go OK as expected?

(FYI I finally called T-mobile today, a sales rep supervisor told me to go out and buy and unlocked one! Plus, a Handspring sales rep said "weeks" before T-mobile 600 will be out).

2. do you just put in your T-Mobile SIM, call T-Mobile, & you're in business? Do I have to call Cingular and tell them anything? I'm not a techie, so specific steps would help.

3. if I buy on the 24th, number portability would apply if I switched from T-Mobile, right? (e.g. say I switch to Cingular)? And I'd just use the new 600 SIM and activate it with Cingular?

4. if I ever want to switch to a new GSM carrier (say AT&T), can I just buy an AT&T SIM from AT&T and insert it without having to buy a new phone? Or what else would I need to do?

5. any reasons why I might want to wait for T-Mobile? (I must say, however, I'm just about out of patience with T-Mobile and their delay with the 600; like their service and prices though).

Thanks for answers any of you can provide to these questions.
    1 and 2) early reports say all you have to do is put the sim in and it works. don't have to call anyone.

3. if a federal judge doesn't block number portability by monday, you will able to take your number and your phone to any gsm carrier.

4. yes.

5. nope.

Originally posted by FuturePerfect
    WeeBit and others:

I've been a lurker, but would greatly appreciate your help.

I see WeeBit's off to get a Cingular Treo 600 to use on T-Mobile.

I need to decide by end-of-day Mon Nov 24 if I want to get the Cingular 600 (ordering from Handspring with my upgrade from a Treo 180) or wait until who-knows-when when T-Mobile has a 600.

Could you guys help me with a few questions?:

1. have you activated your Cingular phone on T-mobile and did it go OK as expected?

(FYI I finally called T-mobile today, a sales rep supervisor told me to go out and buy and unlocked one! Plus, a Handspring sales rep said "weeks" before T-mobile 600 will be out).

2. do you just put in your T-Mobile SIM, call T-Mobile, & you're in business? Do I have to call Cingular and tell them anything? I'm not a techie, so specific steps would help.

3. if I buy on the 24th, number portability would apply if I switched from T-Mobile, right? (e.g. say I switch to Cingular)? And I'd just use the new 600 SIM and activate it with Cingular?

4. if I ever want to switch to a new GSM carrier (say AT&T), can I just buy an AT&T SIM from AT&T and insert it without having to buy a new phone? Or what else would I need to do?

5. any reasons why I might want to wait for T-Mobile? (I must say, however, I'm just about out of patience with T-Mobile and their delay with the 600; like their service and prices though).

Thanks for answers any of you can provide to these questions.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Felipe:

Thanks for the answers. I order my Cingular phone today on Handspring with my Treo 180 trade-in. Here's hoping it arrives soon!