Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Guys, I've looked at these posts on each one, but I just can't decide which one to purchase.
    I have snappermail which I love so I really don't need the e-mail function/notification; I just want something I can log into my MSMessenger with and do a good job.
    Are there any major pro's/con's or are they pretty much the same thing?
    I really appreciate the help, I've searched and I just can't really tell by the answers in previous posts.
    Regards,
    Tom
    Also, I know SMS from Sprint will be coming, but will it really offer connection to MSMessenger?
    Thanks again,
    Tom
    Tom there is only one answer. Download a trial of each and give them a spin and then decide which one you like the best.
  3.    #3  
    That really is a great idea. I'll do so.
    But if anyone else has any input on their experiences, I would love to hear them.
    Thanks again,
    Tom
    I am a registered user of both Verichat and Chatter. They both are good programs and both accomplish the same thing, i.e., allowing you to IM with multiple services and maintaining an always on connection. Verichat lets you "disconnect" from the Internet (SMS). Chatter must be connected to the internet and operates in the background. The big differences between the two: Chatter - upgrade via the Blazer browser and a limitation of 64 or so users, email support and with Verichat, the "pounce" feature that alerts you when someone on your list signs on.

Support with Chatter does appear to be better than Verichat.

So - whichever you like.

Ben

--------------

Originally posted by tomrob
    Guys, I've looked at these posts on each one, but I just can't decide which one to purchase.
    I have snappermail which I love so I really don't need the e-mail function/notification; I just want something I can log into my MSMessenger with and do a good job.
    Are there any major pro's/con's or are they pretty much the same thing?
    I really appreciate the help, I've searched and I just can't really tell by the answers in previous posts.
    Regards,
    Tom
    Also, I know SMS from Sprint will be coming, but will it really offer connection to MSMessenger?
    Thanks again,
    Tom
    I use verichat and I really like it. The one thing that I don't like is that you cannot change "identities". My children like to borrow my phone and IM their friends, and you aren't able to sign on as somebody else with Verichat. I don't know if you can or cannot do that with Chatter.
    I've used both also and had settled on Chatter. I'm currently waiting on T-Mo to release their 600 model so am "still" using my 270.

Recently there was a change in the Chatter server which has made my older version incompatible. I am forced to return to Verichat. I was re-acclimating to Verichat slowly, seeing several of my buddies appearing in different places, getting lots of SMS messages as they pinged me, etc. Unfortunately, Verichat also froze my treo 2 out of 3 times it ran yesterday.

Maybe it's because I typically abuse chatting and have 3 or 4 chats going at a time, maybe it's because I chat in a marginal coverage area, whatever.

Chatter wouldn't typically freeze my treo though... Marc, please please fix the 270 version ... or convince T-Mo to give me a 600 ...which, of course, brings up a few other questions

I want my MTV ... um...er... Chatter
    Do the two products work the same or do they approach IM'ing differently.
    That they do approach it differently. Verichat uses Sprint's SMS system and Chatter uses the TCP/IP system, not SMS. If Sprint begins charging for their SMS system, then Chatter is definitely worth looking at. There is a rumor going on that early Treo 600 users will get the service free or something like that.

Ben

--------------

Originally posted by WFTarHeel
    Do the two products work the same or do they approach IM'ing differently.
    bclinger -

I'm not sure your statement above is <totally> accurate, about Verichat using Sprint's SMS system. I'm no techno-meister, but here's how I <think> that Verichat works (their website probably has more detailed info).

Verichat DOES indeed use SMS to deliver an initial alert of a new IM message waiting for you, but after that, and once/if you establish a constant connection to Verichat, SMS is no longer in the picture - you're using a pure TCP/IP tunnel. I guess the only contradiction to that statement is if you just use the 'instant reply' function, and never go over into the live Verichat app (am I making sense?).
    Once you are in the Verichat app, and doing IM, I don't think you're using SMS on an ongoing basis.

So I guess my point is that SMS is partially used, but not completely. The app doesn't depend on SMS, fully.
    Someone with a clue come in and bail me out - I'm drowning in my own technobabble....
    No, that's good information. It doesn't sound like technobabble to me.

What about the interface itself. It seems like I remember Way WAY back when Marc first released a beta that somebody said the approach that chatter takes to the interface itself was different. Does it put all sessions in one window or something like that?
    nrossers explanation sounds just about right. Additionally, Chatter doesn't use SMS at all. It is pure TCP/IP.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    I am currently trying Chatter for the first time and have used Vericaht for awhile now. I think Chatter would be a lot easier to use if there was some way to have a desktop program to enter in all the contacts or at least be able to get your buddy list from AIM to use. Entering all the contacts from the phone is taking too long.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Although it's not as intiutive as verichat as a unified instant messenger client, i find chatter better in a lot of ways

1) faster startup
    2) can reply to messages sent while running in the background without having to quit your current application (i think veichat allows this too, via sms)

OTOH, Verichat has some desireable features as well:

1) accesses your normal buddy list from the various IM services (as opposed to requiring you to generate a custom list just for chatter)
    2) handles simultaneous chats better IMO (you get a small pop up window in the corner with the first few words of an incoming message)
    3) has far better/more intuitive 5way support, IMO (i use my finger on the touchscreen pretty often with chatter)
    4) buddy punce is cool
    5) with yahoo, you can see when your buddy is typing
    sbono:

You should let me know what problems you're having with 5-way support. I haven't used my stylus in weeks.

all:

Buddy pounce and yahoo "typing" will be in the next version (probably about a week).

Marc
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Originally posted by mblank
    sbono:

You should let me know what problems you're having with 5-way support. I haven't used my stylus in weeks.

all:

Buddy pounce and yahoo "typing" will be in the next version (probably about a week).

Marc
    Thanks for the added features Marc! Your responsiveness is the single best "feature" of chatter.

To answer your question, I find myself needing the stylus to tap onto urls that within instant messages and for changing my status (for instance, to announce that I'm driving or on the phone)... I'll look for other examples.

Incidentally, could you make it an option to have offline contacts NOT show up on the contact list?
    sbono: If you use "Scroll by Message" (Contact menu), scrolling will go by message and hyperlink. Then you can tap rocker-center to execute the hyperlink.

Adding a feature to NOT see contacts is possible as a preference, I suppose... They are sorted to be on the top of the list already, as you probably know...

Marc
    I know that Chatter pulls IMAP. Will it poll pop3 as well and/or integrate with Snappermail?
    Chatter only does pushed communications at present (IMAP and chat), but I suppose it's possible in the future. Regarding integration with SnapperMail ... stay tuned.

Marc
    I don't mean to make this harder but there is a new one out called Chatopus.

http://www.chatopus.com/

Chatopus is another multi-IM program like VeriChat and Chatter.
    Have you run this? I downloaded the release and get a soft reset as soon as it loads my roster.

Marc
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast