Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Thanks a lot. I really appreciate another option! This is getting out of control. The next post that tells which one is best will be my product. :-)
    Tom
    chatter chatter chatter
    oh wait... i already voted
  3.    #23  
    Sounds like I'll be talking to Mark. Thanks everyone.
    Tom
    Are YOU talking to ME?
    Marc,

Do you anticipate in the near future adding the functionality to automatically download AOL IM and ICQ buddy lists, so that they don't have to be entered manually?

Thanks.
    I don't think it's possible in the near future, no.

Marc
  7.    #27  
    Marc, I've got it installed on my Treo 600 and you have mail. We'll give her a whirl and see how she performs.
    Now I already use Fastmail with Snapper, is there any reason I would want to use Chatter for e-mail instead? I read all your FAQ's and stuff, and you say if you use it alot to use Snapper, I just never really understood why. I love Snapper, but it would be nice to have push capability.
    Thanks again everyone.
    Regards,
    Tom
    Hey there,

do any of you have a midi tone that sounds unobtrusive and like the ICQ "uh=oh" sound?

I'd really liek to install it into verichat or chatter

If you do, pls post it or email me at ktehsg at yahoo . com . sg
    (forgive the spaces in there)
    chatter is the best all around. no question
    Hi there everyone,
    (and especially to Marc if he's checking this thread)

as we (in Singapore) have to pay a lot of our GPRS access, I need to find out, based on only using ICQ for example :

(1) Approx. how much data is transferred in the background if i'm NOT in the chatter app? Just doing it's usual thing which is to check back with Chatter central once in a while? I know Verichat doesn't do any data transfer in the background (it sends SMS instead which is free for me to receive I believe).

(2) And how much data is transferred when I first run the chatter app and its initialising its connections?

(3) Any way to track the data volume transferred?

(4) And any way to change colors and fonts an stuff?

(5) Can I selectively log on to only ICQ normally but elect to logon to yahoo as and when I need to?

Thank you very much Marc, if you can find time to answer this questions! Or anyone else who might know too?

regards
    Kevin
    Hi.

The amount of data used for "housekeeping" is very low. Almost all data is pushed to the Treo as needed; after about 10 minutes of "no activity", Chatter will check in with the server to insure that the connection hasn't been dropped.

Startup/connection data use is roughly proportional to the number of Contacts you have, plus perhaps 1k in overhead.

Regarding Yahoo, you CAN do this, but it's a little awkward (you can unregister and register whenever you like).

Overall, Chatter is not ideal for pay-per-MB plans such as those which are the norm in Europe. It was designed to be really, really "always on" and connected to all networks (which is, after all, the promise of our 2.5G and 3G services).

Having said that, perhaps some of my Treo 270 users in Europe/Asia can comment on their experience with Chatter over the past year.

Marc
    Originally posted by paqmaster
    I don't mean to make this harder but there is a new one out called Chatopus.

http://www.chatopus.com/

Chatopus is another multi-IM program like VeriChat and Chatter.
    Here's another one I haven't heard anything about, IM+
    http://www.shapeservices.de/eng/im/PALM/

Anybody willing to give it a try?
    I had something weird happen in verichat yesterday. I was brought into a "conversation" two coworkers were having. VeriChat ended up creating two separate sessions for me; so, I had to switch from one to the other to have this three-way conversation. Is that normal? Is that the designed way VeriChat handles three-way converations?

What about Chatter? Does Chatter handle them the same way?

One other thing. Can Chatter and VeriChat coexist? They couldn't the first time I signed up to try Chatter so I never checked it out.
    Chatter vs. Verichat

Well I tried both now through their evaluation period. I started with Verichat then went to Chatter. My thoughts in order of use:

Verichat:
    Chatter was not available when I got my Treo so I started with Verichat. I downloaded it into my Treo and started using it right away. It imported my contact lists and worked without a hitch. It did what I expected when I expected. When the trial period expired I switched to Chatter.

Chatter:
    I downloaded the software to my Treo. When I loaded it, I thought "Ok, now what?" I found I actually had to read the manual to use it (which I did not with Verichat). Once I got it working (which took a while because I initially refused to read the manual) I found it did work pretty well. The one thing that drove me batty was the departure from the standard YM/MSM paradigm. Im used to a window opening and being able to type right into that window and seeing a scrolling log of my messages. Chatter sort of does this but has dividers between each message. Beyond that it was mirroring bizzarely like:

>-----
    Joe: Hello

>----
    Scott: Hello
    (in response to Joe:Hello)

(I dont recall the exact format but that is the gist). I really dont want the divider. I dont care what Im replying to. I dont want to have to select the text box to respond. I just want a window where I type a message and hit the enter key to send.

In all fairness, Chatter does appear to be a robust program that offers a lot more then simple messaging. I see Marc is a contributor to this forum and I have heard praises of his support. However in the end I want a chat program that:

* Works like a MSM or YM
    * Does not require me to read a manual
    * Works with the Treo 5 way

So I will be most likely choosing Verichat after the holiday. However before doing so:

Am I doing something horribly wrong with Chatter?
    Is there some setting I can enable/disable that will simplify its operation?
    sledger: Well, Chatter has a bit of a different paradigm than the typical PC program, as it was designed for mobile users from scratch.

Regarding the "replying to..." thing, yes you're doing it wrong . You'll almost always reply using the three lines at the bottom of the display (the Quick Reply area), in which case you'll never see the "replying..." stuff. When you DO see that is if you use the Reply command, which is intended mainly for email, in which case the original message is usually helpful in maintaining context. No question chatting the way you did it is bizarre and complicated!

As far as separators, I am going to make this optional in one of the next revs (i.e. you can turn it on and off). For emails, it's very useful; for chatting, less so (although it can still be helpful; it's a matter of personal preference).

Also, as far as I know, virtually everything in Chatter can be done with the 5-way. I haven't used the stylus in a week or more.

Marc
  16.    #36  
    I don't know guys... after trying both my pref. is Verichat. It just seems so much more user friendly: simple and straight to the point messaging.
    Thanks for all the help!
    Regards,
    Tom
    Marc, I like the seperator.Like the others, it took a bit to get use to the interface and yepper, I had to read the manual - first time in years I actually sat down and read it. The 5-way button format works very well and I do not use the stylus. I wish HandBase were 5-way...

Ben

-----------

Originally posted by mblank
    sledger: Well, Chatter has a bit of a different paradigm than the typical PC program, as it was designed for mobile users from scratch.

Regarding the "replying to..." thing, yes you're doing it wrong . You'll almost always reply using the three lines at the bottom of the display (the Quick Reply area), in which case you'll never see the "replying..." stuff. When you DO see that is if you use the Reply command, which is intended mainly for email, in which case the original message is usually helpful in maintaining context. No question chatting the way you did it is bizarre and complicated!

As far as separators, I am going to make this optional in one of the next revs (i.e. you can turn it on and off). For emails, it's very useful; for chatting, less so (although it can still be helpful; it's a matter of personal preference).

Also, as far as I know, virtually everything in Chatter can be done with the 5-way. I haven't used the stylus in a week or more.

Marc
    Originally posted by paqmaster
    I don't mean to make this harder but there is a new one out called Chatopus.

http://www.chatopus.com/

Chatopus is another multi-IM program like VeriChat and Chatter.
    Chatopus is a Jabber client. In order to use it, you will have to have a jabber account on a gateway server that supports the protocol you which to chat on (AIM, MSN, etc).

I had the hardest time registering an account and, once it was registered, couldn't get the client to connect. It's possible that those problems have been corrected, but the whole process just seemed needlessly difficult.
    Originally posted by jennyfur

Here's another one I haven't heard anything about, IM+
    http://www.shapeservices.de/eng/im/PALM/

Anybody willing to give it a try?
    I looked at it until it said Java (*cringe*) and mentioned that 6 month licenses have to be purchased (huh?).

From their site:

"You can buy a 6 months licence for IM+ for PALM OS Java version here."

The word "here" is a link to handango's shop where you can purchase a 6 month license for $9.95.

Java AND a crappy licensing scheme? No thanks.
    I started out a a verichat user......

I loved verichat.. but hated that if i was using another palm program and got an IM that I wanted to answer with more than one line (ie... chat not just reply... I had to let Verichat log me in and then establish a connection to the internet.... AVERY ANNOYING

Next I tried AOL for PALM which is REALLY great for email and has accurate buddy lists... but is COMPLETELY impracticle for IM.

LAST, and BEST... Chatter..... READ THE MANUAL.... its always on... very fast.... and if you practice just a little easy with the 5-way.
    THE BEST I"VE EVER USED..

THAT SAID... MARK: Here are the things a would love to see...

1) Buddy pounce/notification when someone comes online (but only in the backgroud (visual notification) not something that would pop-up and require a response

2) The elimination of the line in between IMs (or at least the option to.

3) Notification.... when you use the program (either with volume or on silent, and you select vibrate.... it vibrates 3 sets of times for each incoming message.... could it be set to vibrate only once breifly?

4) In the line where the time stamp appears (if you have it selected) would it be possible to show the AIM screen name (like AIM does) for that contact: So that it would show (where the bold text usually is AIMSCREENNAME: Time rather than just being blank or the time. (four people mentioned to me that they missed that (it makes it much easier to cut and paste an IM into an email

Keep up the good work
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast