1.    #1  
    Is there any email client/checker for PC that does this for free or cheap?

I'd like one so that instead of having it pushed, I'd check it when I have an SMS stating so, and when I have time and am in a good place to get signal. Either it send an SMS or a email that I just put #@messaging.sprintblahblahblah.
    Your PCSmail and Hotmail (I bet most have it) will send you an alert via SMS wheb you get an email. You have to set it up in the email pref of the provider.
  3.    #3  
    I dont use Hotmail

I have email with my ISP (Earthlink) a friend's ISP I was using for a while (Ameritech) my friend's dedicated server, and my dedicated server. I have something kinda bastardized for my server, but need something for the others.
    Can you make a rule on your email server/cleint that you have (your friends) and have them fowarded to your PCS mail, then the PCS mail could alert you. I want to say you can set up the PCS mail to check other mail servers too. I'll look into it. Matt
    If you are under some flavor of Unix/Linux/FreeBSD you can use this simple procmailrc file to notify you with From and Subject lines:

:0 c
    |egrep -i -e '^(Subject|From): '|mail 1231231234@messaging.sprintpcs.com

And Treohelper can take it from there.

-Rob
  6.    #6  
    I've got something like that going, but my dedicated server doesnt use procmail.

Sprint's PCS mail service doesnt check the external emails.

Heres what I did, however...

I set Outlook up so it checks my email every 3 minutes, then fowards any new emails through SMS, but doesn't delete them for 5 days, which will allow me to fetch them using my Treo. So far, it works perfectly, I just need to have Outlook running all the time, which I can set up to do on my laptop or something.

If anyone has any better way of doing this, I'd love to hear it.
    I set my email account up to forward every incoming message to my ##########@messaging.sprintpcs.com. I did this on the server end so I don't have to leave outlook open.

However the messaging.spcs account has a size limit and occasionally someone will get a bounced back message from this account. I set it up this way so I can see each email as a text message. Works very well, when they are not bounced back or when sprint has not messed with SMS.

Anyone know a way around the size restriction? So they will not bounce back to the sender?
  8.    #8  
    There doesnt seem to be a way around it, as its Sprint's servers setting that hard limit. Perhaps if there were a way to only send so much of the email and strip attachments?
    Originally posted by Ksilebo
    There doesnt seem to be a way around it, as its Sprint's servers setting that hard limit. Perhaps if there were a way to only send so much of the email and strip attachments?
    On my server there is not. I wish there was. I've asked my hosting company for some sort of text messaging notification but have not had much luck yet.
    I think you want a program like Email Notify. Leave it running on your PC and it checks for new e-mail at an interval you set. When you get one, it sends an SMS with the information you specify. I set it to send the sender, time/date, and subject. Check it out here : http://www.dogspots.com/emailnotify/
  11.    #11  
    This app is almost perfect! It just needs to have more than 1 pop account and it should be excellent.

Anyone else know of something like this little app that would do the same thing, except multiple accounts?
    Originally posted by Ksilebo
    This app is almost perfect! It just needs to have more than 1 pop account and it should be excellent.

Anyone else know of something like this little app that would do the same thing, except multiple accounts?
    You can have more than one instance of the program running at once. I haven't tried, but maybe you can configure each instance for a different POP account.
    I've been thinking about getting a Treo600 to use with Exchange to replace a Blackberry. Your question concerns me! Isn't the whole push think pretty close to instantaneous (or a lease <10sec). If so, I can't imagine why you wouldn't want mail pushed. Is the push really slow or something? Also, how often does PCS keep sending SMSs if you're out of signal range or have the phone off. With the Blackberry, as soon as you're back in signal range you get your emails immediately. Hasn't Palm FINALLY matched Blackberry in the Push category?!?!? Thanks.
  14.    #14  
    I just dont like the way the push with BizCon and Basejet works. Its just a personal preference, and doesnt work in the fashion that I'd like

It seems the way SMSes are done is Sprint will hold your SMSes until you get back into signal range, and then dump them all to you as soon as it can.

The issue with the push I had being slow is I dont get a very good signal while I'm at work, and I just want a quick message to tell me that I have mail, and I can hit send/recieve in snappermail when I go outside for a break next or something.

From what others say, the push apps for Exchange seem good, but I just dont have a tremendous use or the money to implement that for my home network.