1.    #1  
    Hi guys

I was wondering how many sound channels the treo 600 actually has. On their website they mention it has 16bit sounds for ringtones etc.

The reason I ask is that I want to know whether the sound capabilties is one of the highest you can get for a phone ringtone. The samsung tones has 40 channels.

Does the treo 600 have more then the samsung tones?

Thanks.
    If it says 16 bit sounds, it's wrong. It's 16 voice polyphonic ringers, aka MIDI files with up to 16 channels, which I believe is the maximum number of channels that a MIDI file can have.

I've not looked at specs for the Samsung, so I can't say anything about what they're saying.

- Mike
  3.    #3  
    Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply. Can you comment on the ringtones as opposed to other normal polyphonic ringtones from other phones.

Do the treo 600 ringtones sound very much like a sound card in a computer say?

Thanks.
    Well, IMHO, they sound a lot better on the 600 than they sounded on the 300. They still aren't quite up to wavetable quality ya get on a PC, but they sound pretty good. Some of the "voices" (instruments) are hard to hear, while others definitely stand out.

If you're handy with a MIDI sequencer, you might be able to make some MIDI's louder by changing instruments or volume levels within the MIDI file(s).

- Mike
    might I add that this is really the only weakness I have with my Treo 600. Midi's are okay, but get boring after a while. They need the new .3gp file format for a/v type files - info here - http://www.apple.com/mpeg4/3gpp/

but I'd settle for .mp3 or .qcp for ringers if that's all they could do.

Voice your opinion about this at handspring's homepage, go to the bottom of the page and "click" on the suggestion link and tell them what Handspring should do. If you read up on 3gp, this is definitely something they should do.
    -later
    Mike, Would you know where I could find the more info on the midi specs for the Treo 600?

Stephen

Originally posted by mikev
    If it says 16 bit sounds, it's wrong. It's 16 voice polyphonic ringers, aka MIDI files with up to 16 channels, which I believe is the maximum number of channels that a MIDI file can have.

I've not looked at specs for the Samsung, so I can't say anything about what they're saying.

- Mike