1.    #1  
    **Addressing the Treo Hanging on "checking password"***

NO THANKS TO AOL HELP I MIGHT ADD!!! So I was surfing and surfing and found this guy that had the same trouble years ago.

He said you needed to reset your information in the AOL main server. To do that you need to alter your buddy list on your DESKTOP aol account. Then log out of AOL Desktop and reboot your Treo (poke the tiny button in the back) and when you log back into AOL Palm, the servers will reset you and you will be back in business.

BY GOLLY IT WORKED FOR ME. Now, I did delete my buddy list completely so your results my vary and some restrictions apply, not valid with any other offer...blah..blah.

THANK GOD FOR THE NET!!
  2.    #2  
    THIS SUCKS....TREO 600 BACK HANGING ON CHECKING PASSWORD 5 MINS LATER
    Worked once before I did what you suggested, once after, and then hung again.

Seems to be improving somewhat, but not sure if the fix you found does anything or not.

They are still working on it.
    I just downloaded 3.1 and signed successfully the first time. I got booted off and then had to retry a few times before i got back in.

After you are signed in, if you leave AOL 3.1, do you get alerted if someone IM's you. It didnt seem to work for me that way. Is there a setting I need to change?

Thanks,

Jeff
    I had the same problem with AOL hanging on Checking password..... I had version 2.0.. so I upgraded to 3.1... No help.... Since my treo 600 was new... I thought it was my problem... anywhay I called AOL help last night and they said it was a problem with AOL.... Many users had a problem with hanging on "checking password".... so I tied again this mornng and it worked fine....... Tried it a time or two and it kept working..... have not tried it since, but I thibk its an AOL problem.....

Lets hope they fix it for good....

-Ken
    This is a confirmed issue with AOL. Currently AOL is applying correction. See this thread

Thanks