Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55
  1.    #1  
    I wish someone had warned me in advance...it took a spill this morning, and needless to say it didn't turn out for the better. The only thing worse than dropping your new $600 phone in a toilet is having to reach into a toilet to get it out. The screen backlight is on, but there is water under the LCD. The radio doesn't seem operational (when I call my # it goes directly to voicemail). The good folks at Sprint Insurance charged me $35 and said I'd have my new phone in 3 business days. Moral: GET $4/MONTH INSURANCE! I was told to keep my current phone when the replacement comes in...is there any market for a waterlogged Treo 600 on ebay?
  2. #2  
    Originally posted by mactin
    I wish someone had warned me in advance...it took a spill this morning, and needless to say it didn't turn out for the better. The only thing worse than dropping your new $600 phone in a toilet is having to reach into a toilet to get it out. The screen backlight is on, but there is water under the LCD. The radio doesn't seem operational (when I call my # it goes directly to voicemail). The good folks at Sprint Insurance charged me $35 and said I'd have my new phone in 3 business days. Moral: GET $4/MONTH INSURANCE! I was told to keep my current phone when the replacement comes in...is there any market for a waterlogged Treo 600 on ebay?
    You were told to keep your current 600?!?!? I can only imagine how many "dropped in toilet" scams will be called into Sprint's insurance provider. I bet less-than-honest insurance holders will begin self-subsidizing their 600 purchases by selling the one that "dropped in the toilet" on ebay...
  3. #3  
    Buyint the 2 year warrenty at Best Buy might be better?

    No $35 deductible and from what I hear it covers stuff Sprint doesn't cover. What does Sprint not cover?
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by tommygreen


    You were told to keep your current 600?!?!? I can only imagine how many "dropped in toilet" scams will be called into Sprint's insurance provider. I bet less-than-honest insurance holders will begin self-subsidizing their 600 purchases by selling the one that "dropped in the toilet" on ebay...
    Totally. She did tell me, though, to just discard the damaged unit. BUT I'd have to think that they flag the ESN of the replaced phone, and if anyone tried to activate it, they would instantly smell a scam and the person doing the scamming would regret it.
    Don't drop your phone in the toilet. Seriously.
  5. #5  
    smell a scam, eh? they'd smell something, that's for sure!!!
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by mactin


    Totally. She did tell me, though, to just discard the damaged unit. BUT I'd have to think that they flag the ESN of the replaced phone, and if anyone tried to activate it, they would instantly smell a scam and the person doing the scamming would regret it.
    I agree. However, someone may be crazy enough to try it!
  7. willp2's Avatar
    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    #7  
    Originally posted by mactin
    I wish someone had warned me in advance...it took a spill this morning, and needless to say it didn't turn out for the better. The only thing worse than dropping your new $600 phone in a toilet is having to reach into a toilet to get it out. The screen backlight is on, but there is water under the LCD. The radio doesn't seem operational (when I call my # it goes directly to voicemail). The good folks at Sprint Insurance charged me $35 and said I'd have my new phone in 3 business days. Moral: GET $4/MONTH INSURANCE! I was told to keep my current phone when the replacement comes in...is there any market for a waterlogged Treo 600 on ebay?
    I have a friend who washed his Samsung Sprint phone .... Twice. Each time he let the phone dryout for a few days and amazingly, it works find. There is now a slight darkspot on the sceen, but other than that its fine and of course its very clean.

    Now after dropping in the toilet you may not want to use that phone, even if it did work again. And I dont even want to think of what a dark spot on your screen would be from after falling in the crapper
  8. #8  
    Originally posted by willp2

    ....And I dont even want to think of what a dark spot on your screen would be from after falling in the crapper
    You can make screen protectors by carefully cutting a sheet of toilet paper to the correct size. I hear that the two-ply works best for keeping those dark spots off!
  9. #9  
    Boy, this thread has really gone down the toilette.....
  10. #10  
    Don't drop it in beer either - luckily it didn't happen with my 600, but it did with a prior phone. I was able to dry it out and continue using it, but that battery was no good any more and the keys were really sticky and worst of all - some of my beer splashed out of the cup
  11.    #11  
    Hey, in my defense, the tragic fall happened *post* flush. No smell, stains, or otherwise. Fortunately, my SD card with very recent backup is intact. God bless solid-state memory.
    Don't drop your phone in the toilet. Seriously.
  12. mgauss's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    #12  
    Once 2 years ago my son called in a broken phone in for damage with the $ 35 replacement. The phone had dropped to the floor and stopped working but had small cosmetic damage.

    When the rep asked him my son said the car went over it by mistake and it had broken into pieces.

    So when I get back from work I saw my son with the phone under the tires of the car...perfectly holding up the weight! He was afraid he would not be believed if the phone was looking well.

    No damage.

    Eventually he threw the phone onto to the pavement several times and sure enough it broke into a dozen pieces.

    The moral is dunk, don't drive over!
  13. #13  
    Just put it in bag of rice for a couple of days. This helps must often.

    Oliver
  14. #14  
    I dropped my 180 in the crapper a while back, fortunately it was POST-FLUSH.

    After freaking, I opened it up, dried with a hair dryer, then it worked. I would definitely try that before tossing the old one. It could atleast be used as a Palm.

    Or if you don't want to mess with opening it up, probably if you wait long enought, it will dry and be ok.

    Robert G. Eshelman
  15.    #15  
    Robert,

    How was your battery life after that?
    Don't drop your phone in the toilet. Seriously.
  16. #16  
    Originally posted by mark3397
    Buyint the 2 year warrenty at Best Buy might be better?

    No $35 deductible and from what I hear it covers stuff Sprint doesn't cover. What does Sprint not cover?
    Actually the Best Buy warranty is lacking.

    Will they replace it if you drop it,
    loose it
    have it stolen
    crack the screen

    Nope, they will not replace it for any inflicted damage - only if the phone malfunctions.
  17. #17  
    Battery life - no affect that I can recall - it sucked no worse that it did before the drowning! [T600 is great improvement in this area...]
  18. Daemon's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #18  
    The old unit could still be useable as a palm device (mp3/video player etc..) even if Sprint flags the ESN and won't allow it to be activated.

    If you're seriously interested in trying to clean it, do what the camera guys do.
    The usual procedure is to remove the battery, and then dunk it in fresh distilled water. Wash it thoroughly. The clean water doesn't hurt it. The contaminants on the phone and in non-distilled water do. Then you remove it from the water. Put it in a plastic ziplock bag along with a healthy dose of rubbing alcohol, seal it up, and shake well, so the alcohol gets most ever everywhere the water was. The alcohol displaces the water.
    Remove from the bag, and put in a warm dry location and allow to air dry for several days. (don't try to speed it up)
    Reinstall battery and give it a shot.

    It's been used successfully on digital cameras, calculators and various other electronic devices. The key is to *not* keep trying to turn it on, while it's still wet, and to get it into clean water as soon as possible after the accident, as the contaminants will start causing corrosion right away.

    ian
  19. #19  
    As a public service, might I suggest these other items for the "don't" list:

    * Don't launch into space without proper protective gear
    * Don't place in ovens, microwave or otherwise
    * Don't use in electric mixers
    * Don't sharpen stylus
    * Don't use as chock for parked airplanes
    * Don't use as insulator when touching high-tension lines
    * Don't clean screen with steel wool

    Hope this helps!

    Marc
  20. #20  
    Um, no way he can sell a phone replaced on an insurance policy on ebay or anywhere. After the swap, than ESN is done, over, fine, gone-for-ever. If you tried to call Sprint to activate that phone, they'd say sorry, pal, you've been had. That phone was traded in on an insurance claim, it wil NEVER ever be activated again.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions