Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Anyone know if Sprint's insurance will replace it if it falls in the toilet (or any other collection point of water)?
    Just contacted Lockline after spilling a drink on the Treo, the space key on my unit has not worked after 48 hours.

FYI:

Lockline #: 800-584-3666
    Cost: $35.00 deductable
    Requires: credit card payment
    Turnaround time: They told me my refurbished unit will be here in 3 days.
    Terms: Non reversible

I was also told that I did NOT have to return the old Treo. -YAY

P.S. Glad I've got BackupMan on my SD card!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    You didn't have to return it? Wow. I bet you could get a decent amount for the Treo on ebay.

Someone bought my old, broken camcorder for about $100, I guess for parts or they thought they could fix it.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I guess they have a policy for liquid spills and key issues. I'm happy about it since I am VERY attached to my Treo even if it's not what it used to be. - LOL

P.S. I'm secretly hoping that the key will unstick itself by the time I get the reburb one gets here. I may be wishing, but hey...

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    If I were you, I would find the thread here about using distilled water (or something like it) to fix a wet Treo. I would then open it up and try and fix it myself - it probably wouldn't be too hard. Wait until you get your new one first so you don't feel bad when you can't get the broken Treo back together!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Hehe, in desperation I broke down and got the eyeglass kit and tried to open it up with the screwdriver and it didn't budge. LOL

I did find the thread and the guy used distilled water and rubbing alcohol (which of course I can't find in my medicine chest).

P.S. I don't see the harm in just dropping the bottom part in the distilled water as opposed to opening it up. What do you think?

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Originally posted by JoeTampa
    Treo 300.. Given the price I paid, I figured $4 wasn't bad, plus, the company is paying the bill.

I would rather cancel my account (and eat the $150) and go to another provider and get a phone immediately (and WLNP makes this easier now). I will gladly tell them that. I'm spending $100/month for service - the $150 termination fee doesn't scare me in the least, but the $100/month sure scares Sprint into doing the right thing.
    Actually, according to you, you're not spending anything per month because your company pays the bill for you. You probably wouldn't even have to pay the $150 cancelation fee - so of course it doesn't scare you.
    Not all treasure is silver and gold.
    Internal battery on the Treo will cause just dunking it to massively short. You need to open it up.

For Alchocol (Isopropyl is better than Rubbing for this purpose), go to Radio Shack, they have it. Might be part of a tape head cleaner kit.

Make sure you use distilled or otherwise sterilized water, plain tap water tends to have a lot of additives that might be bad for your Treo.

Disconnect the Battery and then clean away. Dry it COMPLETELY (let it dry like overnight) before you reconnect the Battery. Dont rush the drying part, if there's no electricity hooked to the circuit (no battery) it usually doesnt mind getting wet, but if its wet and you hook up a Power Source, almost assuredly will fry it.
    Pete
    Thanks Pete,

But how do you even go about opening the Treo and what kind of tools would I need? I tried but didn't feel like I was getting anwhere.

A buddy wants to buy it as-is so I may pass on the repair job for now. And yes Heberman, there is E-bay (I would mention the key problem).

10. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    ..and why would that keep anyone from trying to SELL it on fleabay??????

The buyer can't use it and the seller can just claim that he threw it out (not possible if the seller uses his correct info on fleabay)

One reason why I would never buy anything on fleabay that needs to be activated (or anything at all, for that matter)......
    Cheers

Charles
    Ceb,

There is nothing wrong with disclosure in regards to a problem with a product when selling on Ebay, some people don't mind or object and if they do -- they simply don't bid.

However as indicated here, Ebay is not for everyone. Personally, I'm glad that is the case as it makes winning my bid that more easier.

- Cheers

Originally posted by GeekyMom
    Thanks Pete,

But how do you even go about opening the Treo and what kind of tools would I need? I tried but didn't feel like I was getting anwhere.

A buddy wants to buy it as-is so I may pass on the repair job for now. And yes Heberman, there is E-bay (I would mention the key problem).
    GeekyMom, try this:

Fill a squirt bottle with rubbing alcohol (99% or whatever is highest you can get). Use a pin-point stream.. you want some pressure there. Make sure screen is off and hold the Treo with keys facing down and squirt alcohol up into the keys. Push the keys a bunch of times then shake off alcohol. Repeat the process a few times then test if stuck key is free. If not, repeat procedure till it's free.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    $1.39 at Walgreens:

Isopropyl Alcohol 91%
    YES!

You guys are Sooooooooo SMART and RESOURCEFUL!

First I went to Radio Shack to see if they had a recommended fix, well got to talking to dude about phones/the Treo (that is) and he sent me to the drug store for the alcohol.

I picked up of bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol 91%. First I tried the conservative route: by wetting a Qtip with it and pushing the button but that didnt work. So I decided to do the full Monte, so I got the babies small medicine dropper, filled it with a few drops of alcohol, held the Treo up at an downward angle and dropped half a drop on the top and one half drop on the bottom of the key pushed the key a couple of times and - - hot damn if that didn't do it!

Thank you so much!

Although my replacement is paid for and coming in the mail, I plan to keep old faithful!

Originally posted by newtreouser

GeekyMom, try this:

Fill a squirt bottle with rubbing alcohol (99% or whatever is highest you can get). Use a pin-point stream.. you want some pressure there. Make sure screen is off and hold the Treo with keys facing down and squirt alcohol up into the keys. Push the keys a bunch of times then shake off alcohol. Repeat the process a few times then test if stuck key is free. If not, repeat procedure till it's free.

Well, this didn't happen to me, but my accident prone co-worker...dropped his phone into the toiled MID-Flush... and one of those industrial strength commercial toilets, too...phone was a gonner, probably out in the gulf by now...

...boy you should have seen the look on his face when he had to tell his boss (it was a work provided cell phone). Before he got his number re-activated to a different phone, we hi-jacked his voicemail and put a new greeting on it..."Sorry I can't come to the..whoops...FLUSH"

...but we STILL laugh and rag him about it to this day.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123