Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, I have to confess not having had the time to research this all this much. But, I'm about to be the proud owner of a new Treo 600 GSM (by 3:30 PM today ). One of the things I've been looking forward to is eventually putting a WiFi card in one so that I can surf lighting fast, for free.

Is there anything out, yet? Anything planned? Before I spend any money on just a memory card, is there a combo memory & WiFi coming out any time soon?
    I was just thinking about of the same thing while browsing around. Helps me save my sanity while waiting for my Treo 600 GSM phone. A quick google search led me to this link.

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Sa..._Card_Reviewed

Looks like SanDisk has a version out for PPC. The version for PalmOS will come out in December with WiFi and 256MB memory...

Regards,
    arden
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for that hint. SanDisk's website has this page:

http://www.sandisk.com/consumer/sdwifi.asp

Which says, of their 128MB/WiFi combo, "Coming in Fall 2003 - support for Palm OS 5.x".
    Yup, I did see that too along with many articles about how many times the launch of these SD combo cards have been delayed.
    I sent an email to SanDisks pre-sales support and they said PalmOS 5.x support is due in december.
    it was reviewed on tom's hardware.

its throughput is only about 350kbps...not that great, BUT plenty for a PDA.
    Originally posted by franspace
    I sent an email to SanDisks pre-sales support and they said PalmOS 5.x support is due in december.
    Same here, can't hardly wait.

Not that it's that big of a deal, but it would be nice to be local on my network, when I'm grounded. Network sync/browse, etc.
    -Treo 600 on Sprint
    I really want WiFi, but I'm not at all crazy about that thing hanging out of the top of my Treo... I keep mine in my pocket and I guarantee you that (besides looking dumb when I make a call) it's going to snap off.

Dunc
    any chance of a BlueTooth-WiFi combo card coming out too?

THANKS
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    This might be a silly thought because I don't have GPRS on my T270 although I definitely would have this on my forthcoming T600. My question is why would you need WI-FI if you have GPRS or Vision? Is WIFI a lot faster? I have WIFI in my Powerbook 17 and each time I opened it up at airports or at Starbucks, you have to PAY to log in and when I do get a free hot spot in other places, they are too damn slow compared to what I get in my workstation.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    I wasn't really thinking about surfing at Starbucks. I was thinking about accessing my wireless LANs at home and work. Yes, I can connect through vision, and ssh, etc. But why should I have to go back out to come in? I'm already here, and the networks are available, so let me connect!

Dunc
    Is there a 256MB + Bluetooth SDIO for Treo 600?
    Originally posted by Treo Rat
    This might be a silly thought because I don't have GPRS on my T270 although I definitely would have this on my forthcoming T600. My question is why would you need WI-FI if you have GPRS or Vision? Is WIFI a lot faster? I have WIFI in my Powerbook 17 and each time I opened it up at airports or at Starbucks, you have to PAY to log in and when I do get a free hot spot in other places, they are too damn slow compared to what I get in my workstation.
    I have a wifi network at home. Libraries typically have free access too. Usually, you have to pay per kb of data so why pay, when you can surf for free...

Mike
    > ...I sent an email to SanDisks pre-sales support and they said
    > PalmOS 5.x support is due in december...

Delayed:

-- http://www.pdabuzz.com/desktopdefaul...d=30&itemid=54
    In addition to the WiFi networks alot of us have at home, another great use of WiFi is the wireless networking many companies (like the one I work for) provide in all conference rooms.

Having fast, free WiFi network access through my Treo means no more being bored in meetings! Yea!

Regards,
    work2fish
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    "I have a wifi network at home. Libraries typically have free access too. Usually, you have to pay per kb of data so why pay, when you can surf for free...

Mike"

If you've got the unlimited data plan, then you're not paying per kb. If you don't have an unlimitied plan, then you're wasting your money and the use of a good phone! If you've got a constant connection anywhere via GPRS, why would you even want WiFi? It's not like you can access a server or anything. This just doesn't make any sense to me. You're wanting to access a service that's only available in particular places, when your phone already has the capability and you're already paying for the service to use anywhere as much as you want!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    [i]
    If you've got the unlimited data plan, then you're not paying per kb. If you don't have an unlimitied plan, then you're wasting your money and the use of a good phone! If you've got a constant connection anywhere via GPRS, why would you even want WiFi? It's not like you can access a server or anything. This just doesn't make any sense to me. You're wanting to access a service that's only available in particular places, when your phone already has the capability and you're already paying for the service to use anywhere as much as you want! [/B]
    That's what I thought. Also if you are at home or at work, you are only a few steps away from your computer and for me I would rather surf on my Powerbook than on a very small screen.

With the WIFI card, I am assuming you cannot access the net and listen to your MP3 music at the same time. There's also the added inconvenience of having to carry another gadget and that damn thing sticking out of the Treo doesn't look appealing at all.

I think if you have the need to play with your WIFI- equipped Treo during business meetings, just stand up and walk out - your time is precious. Then again, you can also do that with your GPRS Treo if you cannot walk out. But try this, if you are stuck in traffic for a few hours, do you think you could get lucky all the time to be in a "free hot spot"? With GPRS or Vision you don't have to get bored!

BTW I am not arguing. I'm just trying to convince myself the $20 monthly GPRS fee at Tmobile is worth it when I get my Cingular-brand T600. In my case, I carry my Powerbook most of the time because of my Real Estate business and I also like the idea of being able to use my GPRS Treo with my Powerbook to access the net if there are no WIFI spots in the area.

Am I missing something?
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I'm with Dunc, I plan to get a wifi sd for my treo when it comes. Initally, I plan not to subscribe to Tmo internet plan and see if the wifi access around work and my home (where I spend most of my days) is enough for me. I'm an SMS junkie and will probably bump up to the next level for those on my account. I have a coworker with a tmo unlimited internet plan and will do some testing between GPRS and wifi speeds. We have a bunch of road warriors at work who have been connecting from open wifi spots so that will be fun to try too. Access to my email around work campus' is the main focus at work. I'd like to stream some mp3's out to my yard at home to the treo 600 if possible..I do this with my laptop and wifi card now. I think for the total road warrior the wifi option may be second choice to GPRS.
    I have WiFi at home. My friends have WiFi in their homes. While ubiquitous GPRS/1xRTT access is neat, it's slooooow compared to WiFi. In the handful of locations where it's available, I'd rather reach into a pocket and run Blazer at a decent download speed than open up my laptop.

In general, WiFi on a phone with unlimited data is useless, but in the long run, it may actually be quite cool. Also, here's the kicker for me:

Palms have had remote access tools for a while. PalmVNC, ssh, etc. These would work much better with a low-latency connection, so I could actually handle a server problem in mid-meeting efficiently without having to step outside.

It's a niche market, and a lot of people won't use it. I'm one of those who would.
  20.    #20  
    Leaving aside data plan cost concerns (because I assume that number portability is going to bring a lot of competition to that market and that those of us with carriers with expensive plans will either switch or have their plan rates dropped), there are four big reasons I want WiFi:

1) Speed. Even at the "about 380kbps" I'm seeing these cards tested at, that's a LOT faster than GPRS.

2) (Theorectical) Battery Life. In theory, WiFi is lower energy than GPRS (since you're trying to travel hundreds of feet, not thousands). Done right, WiFi shouldn't eat battery time as quickly.

3) Places without GPRS. Believe it or not, I've been places (like in New Hampshire) where I had no GSM coverage but my hotel had WiFi. Would've been nice to be able to check my email.

4) Security. Both at home and at work, I run networks with non-routable IPs for the internal stuff. If I had WiFi, I could use my Treo to access the Intranet at work, in meetings.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast