1.    #1  
    I just got this from Mobilefly about the Treo 600 I'm purchasing. Anyone have experience with this:

"Before we ship your order, we would like to inform you that we have received complaints from our customers that our Handspring Treo 600's screen is dimmer and slightly yellowish, compared to the brighter and whiter screen of the Cingular branded sets. These are inherent from the manufacturer and are not product faults."

Should I be worried about this? And shouldn't I be able to return it to HS if I'm really that dissatisfied? Thanks
    I ordered my Treo 600 from Mobilefly and have had no trouble (knocks on wood!). While I haven't seen a Cingular-branded model, I can't imagine that my screen is more dim or yellow - it looks bright and white to me - that said, I know that Mobilefly was out-of-stock for a while and now has new stock, so it is likely that the current stock is from a different production run.

I believe that Mobilefly has a 7 day return policy (from receipt) - that should cover any "out-of-the-box" fatal flaws...I hope to not have to test the warranty coverage with Handspring (again, knocks on wood).

My only issue with purchasing from Mobilefly was that my Treo 600 spent 3 extra days in Anchorage, AK, waiting to clear customs (a fair amount of time on the phone with FedEx) - mine may have been the first Treo 600 sent to the US by Mobilefly...hopefully they have smoothed out the kinks by now.

You may check Doml.com - the price is a bit higher - but north of $800, does an extra few $ matter? I was pleased with Mobilefly, though.

If your username indicates a deep passion for wine, then you have already passed the point at which your willingness to spend money on what you want often exceeds what others would consider common sense. My passions are wine and technology gadgets - both expensive hobbies, but as I tell people, less expensive than collecting cars, boats, and women.

I forgot to mention that the Treo 600 so totally ROCKS that the money was well worth it.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. I feel a lot more comfortable. FYI, doml was out of stock when I checked yesterday. I just got so frustrated waiting I decided to buy from mobilefly. So far, they've been really prompt in returning emails and seem very up front. I'm glad you like yours and are happy with the quality. I don't know anyone with a Treo 600 so I'm not sure how I'll compare screens. But I look at it this way, if it looks OK when I get it, I'll keep it.
    Indeed wine, though not $800 wine, is my passion.
    Indeed wine, though not $800 wine, is my passion.
    Yeah, mine either (at least per bottle)...it is amazing though, how quickly a little trip to the wine store exceeds $800.
    Do you know if Handspring in US will honour the warranty (1 year or whatever) on the product. What does the documentation say about it? Where to call in case there is something wrong with the unit (e.g. after a month).

I am looking into getting one from overseas, but these warranty concerns keep me from placing the order.
  6.    #6  
    My guess is that Handspring must honor the warranty. I would call HS frist, before the company I purchased the unit from. I read posts from others who purchased from the company I did, Mobilefly, and it seems they've had a positive experience. I feel pretty confident.
    winebrat, why you buying overseas? I was able to just toto a Cingular store and pick one up for 599. Was so easy. Wish I did it earlier.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    winebrat, why you buying overseas? I was able to just toto a Cingular store and pick one up for 599. Was so easy. Wish I did it earlier.
    The don't sell them in Houston and supposedly won't until "after Christmas", I was told. I followed your other posts and I'm glad you finally got one.
    Yes, maybe. I have one from Mobilefly and one from Cingular and I was one who did complain to them. To be honest, they were very upfront, responsive, and great in their replies.

That said the display on the unit is disappointing compared to the Cingular one. The Cingular is very bright and almost pure white in the white areas. The Mobilefly one is slightly less bright but the white areas definitely have a yellowish-greenish tint. It wouldn't be too bad if I didn't the Cingular right next to it to compare to. But I do and everytime I try to use it as my primary I'm disappointed. It does function perfectly however. I'd be very interested in feedback from those who bought from DOML if their units are the same.

FYI, I called Handspring and basically they couldn't understand how I had an unbranded one since "they aren't released yet". I did get a voicemail left that they would exchange it for a Cingular unit if I wanted, but those are backordered for weeks. At this point I still can't decide if I'm going to keep it, or sell it, or try to get Handspring to exchange it.

My advice is if you are a perfectionist don't get it. The Cingular one I got has a much better screen and a better case. You can get one for $699 NOW from www.gsmphonesource.com or www.4cellular.com and they are both in the U.S. (mine got stuck in customs for 8 days).

Good luck!

Originally posted by winebrat
    I just got this from Mobilefly about the Treo 600 I'm purchasing. Anyone have experience with this:

"Before we ship your order, we would like to inform you that we have received complaints from our customers that our Handspring Treo 600's screen is dimmer and slightly yellowish, compared to the brighter and whiter screen of the Cingular branded sets. These are inherent from the manufacturer and are not product faults."

Should I be worried about this? And shouldn't I be able to return it to HS if I'm really that dissatisfied? Thanks