1.    #1  
    I've been waiting for almost 10 min. for 1 song? Is this normal?

It is a 3.5 mb song.

Should I buy a card reader and transfer the songs directly to the card?

Also, the pocket tunes website had some info about converting the .mp3 format to another format which was smaller or better for the palm platform. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Buy a card reader/writer.

Was taking 2-3 minutes with hot sync so I got a card writer.
    Just click and drag and it takes a second.
    I am fortunate my laptop has an SD card slot
    I agree. Get a card reader. They rock.
    And they aren't expensive either. You can get one (even a usb 2.0 one) for under $20 if you shop around. I got a 6in1 internal usb 2.0 card reader for $15 myself back in april, so they're probably even cheaper now.
    I got a 6in1 internal usb 2.0 card reader for $15 myself back in april, so they're probably even cheaper now.
    Jennyfur,

Where did you get it, who's the manufacturer and does it work well? I'm deciding on which one to buy today and I was planning on adding it to my 3.5" bay on my desktop.
    No duh.
    No duh.
    Oh good!!! we finally have someone who can elaborate on why exactly a USB port with a minimum of 12mbps takes over 10 minutes to transfer a 3.5mb Mp3. When you post exactly why, you can then forward your findings to Handspring who can address this bottleneck problem. I wait anxiously for your reply....
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    .OGG is the format Pocket-tunes is referring to. I converted all the songs on my SD card to this format and I honestly can't tell a difference in sound quality, but a 3 MEG .mp3 shrinks down to about 800K when your done. HTTP://Vorbis.com is the place to go to learn all about the .OGG format and get the convertor tools.
    I picked up a Lexar USB jumpdrive (thumbdrive).

It pops open and accepts either a Memory Stick or SD/MMC card.

You pop the card in, then plug it into the USB port on your PC. It's super handy for laptop use for transferring large files between machines . The driver is built in so it will work with any Windows computer (not sure about Mac).

Once it is plugged in it looks like another drive (e:\). You just drag and drop. Sweeet.

(+) Works with multiple computers
    (+) More portable

(-) Only accepts 2 formats
    Originally posted by Magohn

Oh good!!! we finally have someone who can elaborate on why exactly a USB port with a minimum of 12mbps takes over 10 minutes to transfer a 3.5mb Mp3. When you post exactly why, you can then forward your findings to Handspring who can address this bottleneck problem. I wait anxiously for your reply....
    FYI... mbps = mega BITS per second. The file is 3.5 mega BYTES. These are different measures (b versus B).

The throughput is theoretical. Just as you never get 100mbps or 1000mbps over your LAN, you generally don't actually get 12mbps over USB.

This bottleneck is not difficult to understand.
    Take into account:
    -the read speed of the source (presumably your HD)
    -the USB port/cable transfer speed
    -the read speed of the Treo
    -the write speed of the Treo's SD writer
    hmmmm....I see we dearly need a sarcasm tag.
    Please people dont be so literal.
    Originally posted by zosomagnus
    Where did you get it, who's the manufacturer and does it work well? I'm deciding on which one to buy today and I was planning on adding it to my 3.5" bay on my desktop.
    The one I have is by a company called Apacer. I don't recall where I got it, but a search on pricewatch or ibuyer might bring up some good places and prices. I know I recently saw it (although the pic looks a bit different...maybe it's been redesigned since I got it) on directron but it was a little more expensive.

It's works well for me. I've used a variety of CF cards from my digital camera in it, and also the sandisk 256mb SD card I bought in anticipation of my new Treo 600. One thing however... make sure your motherboard has usb 2.0 headers on-board. It requires 2 to get the full functionality (one for all the card readers, and one for the spare usb 2.0 slot on the front). I only use the one for the card readers because my comp case already has a usb 2.0 slot in front.

Good luck!
    hmmmm....I see we dearly need a sarcasm tag.
    Please people dont be so literal.
    Sarcasm is self-evident... so you shouldn't need a sarcasm tag.

Maybe you need an "I'm a tool" tag.
    Maybe you need an "I'm a tool" tag.
    <sarcasm>
    Wow...that really stings. You put me in my place
    </sarcasm> <- -Just for you

and before your usual knee-jerk reaction...

<Im a Tool></Im a Tool> <--Just for me
    Originally posted by gkaatz
    I picked up a Lexar USB jumpdrive (thumbdrive).

It pops open and accepts either a Memory Stick or SD/MMC card.

You pop the card in, then plug it into the USB port on your PC. It's super handy for laptop use for transferring large files between machines . The driver is built in so it will work with any Windows computer (not sure about Mac).

Once it is plugged in it looks like another drive (e:\). You just drag and drop. Sweeet.

(+) Works with multiple computers
    (+) More portable

(-) Only accepts 2 formats
    Sandisk makes something that sounds just like this. I bought it quite some time ago when buy.com had them on sale for $64. It's called the Cruzer (although they also make other Cruzer models that are simply just flash drives. The pen kinda ones, not removable media. Sometimes sites don't specify which one it is very well). http://www.sandisk.com/consumer/cruzer.asp
    Last edited by jennyfur; 11/20/2003 at 01:26 PM.

<sarcasm>
    Wow...that really stings. You put me in my place
    </sarcasm> <- -Just for you

and before your usual knee-jerk reaction...

<Im a Tool></Im a Tool> <--Just for me