1.    #1  
    Has any version of palmOS been shown to be C2-compliant?
    Hmmm...Palm OS C2 compliant? Personally, I don't even see those 2 terms together on the same sentence. But that is IMHO. But I have not seen anything official about it. Not many OS made it to be truly C2 compliant.

Is anyone still using that standard?

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  3.    #3  
    > ...Not many OS made it to be truly C2 compliant.
    >
    > Is anyone still using that standard?...

Got me!

I do know that Novell Netware 4.1 (I think) just "recently" got certified. Know for sure that UNIX has been certified to much tighter specs (B2? Tighter?) and I believe (though can't say absolutely) that Linux has been certified as well.

PalmSource is aiming at certain markets - compliance with secure computing standards could go a long way to helping get into those markets.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    > "(B2? Tighter?)"

PalmSource is aiming at certain markets - compliance with secure computing standards could go a long way to helping get into those markets.

Yes, B2 it tighter.

- Class D is defined as Minimum Security; systems evaluated at this level have failed to meet higher level criteria.

- Class C1 is defined as Discretionary Security Protection; systems evaluated at this level meet security requirements by controlling user access to data.

- Class C2, defined as Controlled Access Protection adds to C1 requirements additional user accountability features, such as login procedures.

- Class B1 is defined as Labeled Security Protection; systems evaluated at this level also have a stated policy model, and specifically labeled data.

- Class B2, defined as Structured Protection, adds to B1 requirements a more explicit and formal security policy.

- Class B3, defined as Security Domains, adds stringent engineering and monitoring requirements and is highly secure.

- Class A1 is defined as Verified Design; systems evaluated at this level are functionally equivalent to B3 systems, but include more formal analysis of function to assure security.

I agree that compliance will help them. Take a look at this article about the
    Navy . It is an old article, but I am pretty sure that they have been moving forward with their testing. It might take a bit, but PDA's (both Palm and Pocket PC) will be common in secure environments. Again, IMHO. It has happened with every new technology. Just takes a while to weed out the people that have been doing it "their way" for 50 years and bring in the "fresh minds". Just don't expect to see any hardware that has a camera (like the Treo 600) to make it into the secure environment.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi