1.    #1  
    Have a strange problem with my Treo 600. After installing SnapperMail, my Treo 600 locked up when checking my mail. When I did a soft reset, the touchscreen stopped working. So I did a hard reset, but that only left me stuck at the touchscreen calibration since the touchscreen didn't work.

So I tried to swap it out at Sprint since the local BBY didn't have any in stock (been less than 30 days). Sprint gave me a note and said "Sorry, you'll have to go to Best Buy to exchange it." So I headed back over to BBY and one of the nice girls in Wireless called 9 stores that had the Treo 600 before she found one that would transfer one. The closest Best Buy that had one in stock was in Houston (100+ miles away).

While I was waiting for her to find one, I figured out that I could get past the screen calibration by using my finger instead of the stylus. It's almost as if the touchscreen can't recongnize pressure from anything smaller than a finger. Using a stylus accomplishes nothing.

Now that I can use the device with the keyboard, I found that if I go into my contacts, check my mailing using BizCon or Snapper, load a webpage over 50k, or using the Favorites my Treo crashes and I have to do a soft reset. No error messages, the unit just freezes.

Anybody else have any problems with the touchscreen? Can't wait till I get my replacement Treo. Even after all the problems I've had with it, I still can't get myself to just return it and get a different phone.

-- ddpg
    Dear pgogas,

I think your "touchscreen issue" may have something to do with when SnapperMail froze. Did you have SnapperMail set to "finger navigation"? After the crash, it probably is stuck with the "finger navigation" turned on for all apps - and may not recognize a stylus.

I think there may be an issue with SnapperMail and another app causing a conflict. What it currently on your Treo 600? I remember SnapperMail have a few issues with other apps.

I think if you:
    1- do a soft or hard reset on your Treo,
    2- open the SnapperMail App and turn the "stylus navigation" on
    3- close the SnapperMail,
    This should allow your Treo to use the stylus again.

Then I would look for the offending app.

Good luck,
    Dave Lindberg
    Err, I don't seem to understand something - if you have done a hard reset, all your apps would be wiped out. Then, you would be able to start from scratch from ROM, and screen calibration should work. If it does not work after hard reset, I would imagine it to be hardware failure.

But, according to your post, you appeared to still have snappermail application in there after using your finger to get around calibration problem, which seems to imply that you did not do a hard reset. Or did you reinstall your apps from a SD card backup, thereby causing the same error to reoccur?

Just confused.......
    Originally posted by cywong
    Err, I don't seem to understand something - if you have done a hard reset, all your apps would be wiped out. Then, you would be able to start from scratch from ROM, and screen calibration should work. If it does not work after hard reset, I would imagine it to be hardware failure.

But, according to your post, you appeared to still have snappermail application in there after using your finger to get around calibration problem, which seems to imply that you did not do a hard reset. Or did you reinstall your apps from a SD card backup, thereby causing the same error to reoccur?

Just confused.......
    Dear cywong,

I don't know if you are referring to my above post, but if so let me clarify:

The process should be:
    1- do a soft reset on your Treo,
    2- open the SnapperMail App and turn the "stylus navigation" on,
    4- go to the "Touchscreen" in "Prefs" and try and calibaret the touchscreen.
    This should allow your Treo to use the stylus again. If you still cannot use your stylus, a hard reset is needed and you should look for the problematic app.

Dave Lindberg
    I would be suprised if the problem was due to finger mode navigation in snappermail. I believe that all that does is make the target areas for GUI buttons large enough to be comfortably navigated with the fatter finger sylus while in Snappermail. It modifies the Snappermail GUI. It does nothing to the GUI in other apps.

There _may_ be an interaction on some other level with Snappermail though. Generally the best way to solve problems such as this definatively is to:

1. BACKUP COMPLETELY
    2. hard reset
    3. add back added in apps _one_ at a time
    4. check for problem

In the above scenario, try putting Snappermail in first. I'll bet it will work.

And cwong is correct. If pgogas had performed a hard reset, SnapperMail (and all the personal contacts) would have disappeared. The only way those could have reappeared would be if they were restored back onto the device... hence making the effect of the hard reset negligible.
    Originally posted by NMprofessional

Dear cywong,

I don't know if you are referring to my above post, but if so let me clarify:

The process should be:
    1- do a soft reset on your Treo,
    2- open the SnapperMail App and turn the "stylus navigation" on,
    4- go to the "Touchscreen" in "Prefs" and try and calibaret the touchscreen.
    This should allow your Treo to use the stylus again. If you still cannot use your stylus, a hard reset is needed and you should look for the problematic app.

Dave Lindberg

Dave, I was referring to the first post, not yours. Cheers.
    Just happend to me - wow did I get upset till I found this "press with your finger trick"

it started when I wanted to delete an app and it wouldn't go into that screen

Launcher screen >menu>select "delete" - nothing happens...

then I noticed that I couldn't even move to options and that clicking the icons didn't work

sof reset and no good

so tried a hard reset

selected English > clicked Z

and got stuck on the "Tap Screen Selection" -

Till I found the above post -

Clicked with my fingers and the thing worked...

SO the question is - what happened??

the phone is Originaly an AT&T phone that I flashed according to these instructions http://www.techwarelabs.com/communit...pic.php?t=7542

?????

Thanks
    Ariel
    Ariel
  8. gcs
    My 10 day old Treo 600 died in exactly the same way. And it has nothing to do with SnapperMail's finger navigation mode, because I don't use it. After soft,warm,hard and even a battery reset, the touchscreen was dead, and the unit freezes every few minutes.
    It's been sent back to sprint, and a new one is being sent to me.
    They gave me this really old phone to get me by until my new 600 appears...

It's not just you...

George
    Did you try tapping the screen with your finger? amazingly enough that was what did the trick for my treo
    Ariel
    I wonder if the touch screen connector needs to get jogged a bit in these cases?
    what is the "touch screen connector"?
    Ariel
    I had the same problem a while back. Found out if you just put a little pressure on the screen (like as if you were cleaning it, but a tiny bit harder) the screen unfroze. I thought I was going to have to take it back to Sprint, but since the first time its never happened again.
    <a href=http://www.floydpinkerton.net>My Homepage</a><br>
    <a href=http://www.totaldialup.net>TotalDialup.com</a> My business<br>
    <a href=http://www.coverupsounds.com>Coverupsounds.com</a> (my small contribution)
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    My touchscreen died completely about 2 weeks ago. For the first couple of days it would die intermittendly, but has been completely out for 2 weeks. Tried everything I could think of (soft, hard resets, etc.). Anytime I go to re-calibrate the screen, I get got in a loop because it doesn't recognize the stylus (or any pressure for that matter) and I have to reset.

I actually just found this site trying to research whether this was a common problem. I have been travelling, but plan to return the phone to Best Buy as soon as I return home.
  14. gcs
    Originally posted by samion
    Did you try tapping the screen with your finger? amazingly enough that was what did the trick for my treo
    Sure did. Didn't make any difference...

George
  15. gcs
    And now my replacement has arrived, and even though they swore to me at the store I would get a brand new treo since my first one was TEN DAYS OLD when it died...

The box says certified reconiditioned...

Looks like another trip to the Sprint store is in order...

grrrrrr

George