Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I currently use T-Mobile and am debating between wating for the T-Mobile version or buying the Cingular version now.

I have called Handspring twice and was told that the Cingular version has software optimized for Cingular versus T-Mobile.

Second, and probably more importantly, I was told that the T-Mobile version will be LOCKED AS TO ONLY WORK WITH T-MOBILE!
    As compared to the Cingular version which would work with either.

It makes me want to buy the Cingular version.

How much will I be giving up by using the Cingular version on T-Mobile?

Will it be possible to download T-Mobile software for the Cingular phone?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
    Originally posted by me0000
    I currently use T-Mobile and am debating between wating for the T-Mobile version or buying the Cingular version now.

I have called Handspring twice and was told that the Cingular version has software optimized for Cingular versus T-Mobile.

Second, and probably more importantly, I was told that the T-Mobile version will be LOCKED AS TO ONLY WORK WITH T-MOBILE!

Thanks!!!
    We're kind of in the same boat, except that I'm currently with Sprint PCS and want a GSM phone so I'll switch to Cingular or, most probably, T-Mobile.

Was it Handspring who told you the the T-Mobile version will be locked?
  3.    #3  
    Yes, it was someone at the Handspring order line that I asked about the difference between the Cingular and TMobile versions and she said that the T-Mobile version would be locked.
    You wont be giving up a thing. The cingular t600 works flawlessly on T-Mobile. There is only one instance of branding, and it appears for all of 5 seconds. As for downloading tmo software Im not sure why you would want to do this. Im sure the tmo software will have its pink branding everywhere. I actually suspect the reason tmo is delayed is due to the customization and locking that is being put into the tmobile version.

you can see my post here with pictures of the cingular version.

FS: GSM Treo 600 with Accesories.... here.
    I'm a T-Mobile customer also. However, I've gotten hold of both an unlocked unbranded Treo 600 and the Cingular one. Other than the Cingular logo that shows when turn off and on wireless mode, there is no difference between the two. Let me say that again, there is no difference. I'd made calls and data access with both and they both work the same on T-Mobile,

There's no way to know if the T-Mobile version will be "optimized" until they ship it. But I think that if it is "optimized" all that will really mean is that there is some extra T-Mobile software on it. I'd be surprised if there's any real difference in how it works.

If you want it now I would highly suggest to go with the Cingular one.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I bit the bullet and ordered a Cingular phone today and will use it on T-Mo. Who knows by the time they ship it maybe the T-Mo could be released and I can change my mind.
    Originally posted by daftgem
    You wont be giving up a thing. The cingular t600 works flawlessly on T-Mobile. There is only one instance of branding, and it appears for all of 5 seconds. As for downloading tmo software Im not sure why you would want to do this. Im sure the tmo software will have its pink branding everywhere. I actually suspect the reason tmo is delayed is due to the customization and locking that is being put into the tmobile version.

you can see my post here with pictures of the cingular version.
    Do I notice a case in the cingular box different from the sprint case
    I am a Tmobile customer, and I purchase a Cing Treo 600. Everything works perfectly. Not a glitch.

Don't fear at all, just buy a cingular version.
    Thanks for the interesting thread, BUT when will the tmo 600 be in the stores. (As opposed to approved, shipping, available and others vague terms meaning "not in the stores") The local office here, predictably, knows nothing.
    harvey
    Originally posted by me0000

It makes me want to buy the Cingular version.

How much will I be giving up by using the Cingular version on T-Mobile?

Will it be possible to download T-Mobile software for the Cingular phone?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
    I also get the feeling this is what's delaying the T-mobile TReo 600. This is probably the reason why Tmobile is choosing to be the last of the carriers to launch the product so that you cannot go to another carrier with your locked Treo after the 24th.

Sooooooooo, therefore, I went ahead and ordered my unlocked Cingular. I also intend to order the Tmobile when it comes out (WHENEVER!) and compare both phones. I will return or sell one of them for $500 after I decide. (Yes I do have more than one Treo 270 Serial Number to play around with.)
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    I am also a T-Mobile customer who is buying the Cingular version. HOWEVER, I should say that T-Mobile is known for unlocking their customers' phones upon request. I have personally unlocked two Treo 270's with them. So you shouldn't make much of the fact that the T-Mobile version would be locked.
    Originally posted by bcaslis
    Other than the Cingular logo that shows when turn off and on wireless mode, there is no difference between the two. Let me say that again, there is no difference. I'd made calls and data access with both and they both work the same on T-Mobile,
    That is exactly what I've heard! Called Handspring yesterday and asked the rep if there was any customization on the Cingular version, other than the Cingular Logo on the Splash Screen vs. the Generic GSM version, and she said, "No!"

As for advantages of an "unlocked version." A "locked" phone means you cannot swap SIM cards between carriers. I know this is frequently done in Australia where 80% of the mobiles are GSM. When you complete your contract, the carrier will "unlock" the phone.

If you have no intention of changing carriers from T-Mobile, being locked or unlocked makes no difference. Only if you want to insert a SIM card from another carrier will it make a difference, such as inserting a SIM card from Cingular, AT&T....or a European, Asian, or Australian carrier in order to avoid outrageous international roaming charges.
    Yes, the Sprint and international unlocked GSM come with a very basic cover. The Cingular one comes with a nice padded horizontal case with integrated belt clip. It appears to the Treo Side Case on the Handspring website.

Originally posted by hockey Dad

Do I notice a case in the cingular box different from the sprint case
    Originally posted by silverado
    I am also a T-Mobile customer who is buying the Cingular version. HOWEVER, I should say that T-Mobile is known for unlocking their customers' phones upon request. I have personally unlocked two Treo 270's with them. So you shouldn't make much of the fact that the T-Mobile version would be locked.
    true, but they are making it harder.

can't do it over email anymore, and you have to be a customer for 90 days. Which I guess isn't a problem for most of us.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Not to sound completely ingnorant but when you purchased the unlocked Cingular from the Handspring site, I am assuming they did not require you to sign up for a new contract. I want this phone but do not want to be locked to T-Mo if necessary. I just wanted to clarify that I would have to get a Cingular plan to buy the phone.
    Any info would be appreciated.

(PS, yes I searched first, but could not find a specific answer)
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
    Originally posted by trainman
    Not to sound completely ingnorant but when you purchased the unlocked Cingular from the Handspring site, I am assuming they did not require you to sign up for a new contract. I want this phone but do not want to be locked to T-Mo if necessary. I just wanted to clarify that I would have to get a Cingular plan to buy the phone.
    Any info would be appreciated.

(PS, yes I searched first, but could not find a specific answer)
    You do not have to get a plan with cingular. You can buy the cingular unlocked and insert any sim card and it will work.
    Add me to the camp that got tired of waiting for the T-mobile version of the 600. I just purchased the Cingular version--which I will use with T-mobile.
    OK, I'm on the verge of ordering the Cingular 600 from HS and using my TMo SIM. I've seen some threads regarding shipping, some stating that the Cingular version began shipping on the 17th. Is this true? HS still shows "pre-order". If I placed my order now, any idea when I might actually receive it?

What happens down the road if I need replacement? Will I work with HS on that, as I'm sure TMo will not be exactly happy to help. Can we even answer that question yet?

I've been leery to input my serial number on the Cingular HS discount page, as I want to be sure that I won't be forced to get a Cingular plan to receive the discount. It sounds like I won't based on some threads, but I'm paranoid at entering my serial # until I'm sure.

Ease my mind, please; any thoughts on the above appreciated.
    No plan required. Just say you already have a Cingular account when asked.

If you are worried, just call HS and ask them yourself. THey will be happy to sell you a cing treo 600 for your Tmo service.
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    No plan required. Just say you already have a Cingular account when asked.

If you are worried, just call HS and ask them yourself. THey will be happy to sell you a cing treo 600 for your Tmo service.
    Great! Thanks for the info to ease my mind...

Farzon, if I remember some of your posts correctly, don't you have some kind of high-level contact at TMo? Do you have any insight as to what would happen if I needed replacement on the Cingular version? (I've been through numerous 180 and 270 replacements, and even though the build-quality on the 600 seems to be better, I'd rather be safe than sorry.)

TIA!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast