1.    #1  
    So what is the point of a Launcher app? Looking at the screens of them and reading about them I'm not really seeing what the difference between them and the standard thing. On the standard I guess I hit home to page across the different sections, where as a launcher lets me just tap on an icon and go right to that section. Is that the jist?

Trying to investigate what usefull apps I might want and see many people talking about using these so IM just curious what I am missing. I really want a today style app and with Wassup having buggered fonts, and Today having battery issues Facer looked like a decent choice but Im not sure I want the launcher functionality it offers?

Thx in adavace....
    People use launchers to customize the appearence of their screens basically. PPC users do this primarily with the Today screen and PalmOs users do this primarily via launchers like zlauncher etc. Go over to cliesource and checkout the skins/backround forum to see all the cool launchers and skins people use. Unfortunately the tiny low rez screen of the Treo600 sorta negates alot of usefullness of this...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I was kinda wondering about this too... I'd compiled a list of software I planned to put on my 600 once I got it, and hadn't really figured out the usefulness of a launcher. Ok, so it seems that it's mostly just an aesthetic thing? People want different icons and colors and backgrounds and such? Functionality wise it doesn't really seem much different other than maybe tabs or some sort of buttons to catagorize things and move around a little bit easier. Hmm. If so, then I'll probably go with hilauncher which looks to be more functional than aesthetic.
    You are correct. I see the launchers just like the desktop themes for Windows. Unless I am missing something.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I think there's a bit more to them to that. I used the old, freeware Launcher 3 on my 300 and I bought ZLauncher for my 600. I've also paid for, and primarily use, McPhling to load apps. I don't appreciate the busy look of ZLauncher, and the seemingly unchangeable orange tab background. But I didn't buy it for aesthetics - I want something that makes managing applications easier (e.g., drag and drop to move to a folder or to an icon to delete or beam). I also appreciate the auxiliary utilitities that come with these launchers, like a soft reset menu item.

I never saw PalmOS 5 prior to getting my 600, and I was disappointed that the default launcher hadn't picked up a few of the LauncherX/ZLauncher/etc features, such as drag and drop between folders. It's kind of like using WinXP with Program Manager, from the Windows 3.1 days.

Originally posted by cash70
    You are correct. I see the launchers just like the desktop themes for Windows. Unless I am missing something.

cash70
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
    Originally posted by pcampbell
    I don't appreciate the busy look of ZLauncher, and the seemingly unchangeable orange tab background.
    The tab color can be set in Menu/Options/Color Setup. Plain white is indeed easier on the eyes.
    i have used a launcher app for my windows desktop going back to hewlett packard's dashboard for windows 3.1. what launchers are about, and why there are always a number of different ones available, is customizing quick access to the programs YOU use the most in the way that makes the most sense to YOU, whether it's cascaded menus a la the start menu, tabbed pages or whatever. on my windows XP desktop i use ripbar.

i use megalauncher on my 300, have been very happy with it, and would probably use it again on the 600 when the time comes.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    One of the nice things I like about zLauncher is the integrated file manager app which allows you to view info and perform operations on *any* file on your treo whether it be a prc and pdb, in RAM, ROM or on SD card. Like Filez but integrated into the launcher.

Other zLauncher features I find useful are the drag and drop to move/delete/beam and the quick launch menu. I've mapped this to the home button and is now the main way I navigate, going straight from app to app.
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    Originally posted by Mol

The tab color can be set in Menu/Options/Color Setup. Plain white is indeed easier on the eyes.
    No, the orange I'm talking about is hard-coded in the theme and not changeable in the color setup. Turn on the top bar - the tab that the time appears in - as well as the background for the tool bars - is what I'm talking about. I didn't note a variety of themes compatible with the low-res Treo. I stuck with the older Launcher 3 on my 300 not because it was free, but because it was very clean. I don't want backgrounds and fancy icons - I just want to easily manage my apps. LauncherZ is decent for the price, but I'd love a stripped down, largely black on white theme for it.
    this is a really good theme
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed
    this is a really good theme
    Much better. Thanks!
    I'm a bit disappointed. I am currently using ZLauncher, and I am finding that there are very few themes that support the low resolution of the Treo 600.

Like my desktop, I would like my pda to have the ability to use various themes. Most of what I have installled cannot be used. I get a message that says "Not available for this device."

Does anyone know of any good sites that have low resolution themes....or maybe....link a few of them here.
    ~ ScandaLous ~