Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My ISP now use also IMAP4 for the mail.
    Anybody knows a softaware for TREO 600 that can permit to use IMAP4 server to discharge the mails?
    Try PaPi-Mail -- it'll even do IMAP+SSL.
    Aileron, Iambic mail, chatter does simple IMAP. None of these suupport folders.

"Next time do a search!
    I'm the forum nazi.
    I'm tellin your mom you didn't do a search first!
    Nyeah, Nyeah, Nyeah, Nyeah, Nyeah!!!!"

Cut me a freakin break.
    Get a life

I did a search under control freak..couldn't find anyone but I know they exist.
    Versamail, available from PalmOne, supports POP3 and IMAP both, and even includes SSL support too.

- Mike
    if you're using Sprint, BizConn also supports IMAP and POP, and SSL, and has a Web UI....
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    benefits of an IMAP server, handling your mail?
  8.    #9  
    Originally posted by NRG
    benefits of an IMAP server, handling your mail?
    I would like to use IMAP4 instead of POP3 because , I suppose, I will have the possibility to discharge only the headers of the email and not all the message.
    I will decide later which message I want to download.
    The mail program of the TREO 600 permits only a minimum limitation of 5 or 10 kb per mail while the headers are no more longer than 1 kb
    I pay with my cell phone , with a TIN GPRS connection, just about 1 EURO per Mbyte downloaded.
    With IMAP, your mail remains on the server until you tell it to delete it. Most email programs that support IMAP will download only the headers to display what's in the mailbox, then download the message when you go to open the message.

It's great for high bandwidth, or in low bandwidth cases where you don't want to have to wait while downloading everything in your inbox only to find it's junk. Also, you can set up different folders on the server for filing your email into, so your mail is sorted, but still accessible anywhere. And if your email server supports a mail processor like procmail (usually found on *nix systems), you can have Procmail automatically file messages to those other folders for you, similar to some email apps' mail rules features.

- Mike
    mikev is exactly right. Here's the problem with the state of IMAP clients right now....

Programs like PapiMail that can talk IMAP still act like any ordinary POP email client. They download the messages from your IMAP inbox and then make you syncronize between the local store on your Treo and the server.

This totally defeats the purpose of IMAP!!

Now, I can understand why they did this in the past. Before 3G enabled smartphones like our wonderful Treos, it was expensive and difficult to have an always on data connection on a Palm.

But now that we have Vision enabled smartphones, this has changed and some developers are starting to figure this out. One example is Verichat, in that it keeps a constant data connection open when in use.

Now all we need is someone to write an IMAP program that works the same way! It should never "store" your email on your device.

When you open the app, it should automatically connect to Vision, connect to your IMAP server and show you the current state of your Inbox. Just show what's there in real time. Do the same with folders. When you select a message, it should download it to display it. Simple! Anyone who's ever used PINE knows exactly what I'm talking about.
    I tried all the email apps mentioned above trying to get our corporate IMAP working. The reason being, is that your folders are shared between clients. That can be really handy.

The problem I found is that they all SUCK, compared to SnapperMail and the interfaces were poorly optimized for the nav button and I had to whip out the stylus. You get use to how well the nav button is integrated with the default apps and you tend to get highly annoyed when you get software that won't let you tab between all items.

If SnapperMail would provide IMAP support they could have my cash any day.
    Originally posted by ckohler
    Now all we need is someone to write an IMAP program that works the same way! It should never "store" your email on your device.
    I've tried setups like that on mobile devices, but I find it god-awful. I prefer a hybrid approach, similar to how blackberry does it. They download a 2K portion of each email, and you may request more of it. 2K is a bit too small however, so I prefer approx 8K.

My phone does IMAP4 and downloads headers only. Sheesh it takes forever to catch up on email since it retrieves each body as I opt to read it. Funny thing, I logged the traffic and it was using just as much traffic downloading the headers-only as it could have by downloading the entire message. There was a huge amount of flag-bs that went along with the header request for some reason.

There is an important aspect of IMAP support however. The IDLE command is important and a lot of servers don't handle that. If you don't have that, then a persistent connection still needs to poll for mail.
    We are somewhat on the same page potatoho but there is still something I don't think you're following about my argument.

I don't mind if the IMAP program caches the emails I read in the background to speed up re-reading. That makes perfect sense. I just don't want this "cache" to appear in the interface as some kind of "local inbox". That's the way these programs work now. The only inbox I should ever see is the server inbox.

That means that if I delete a message from my IMAP inbox on my PC, the next time I check my inbox on my Treo that message shouldn't appear there anymore! It should handle this by polling the IMAP inbox whenever I look at it and removing deleted items from my list and adding new ones. automatically.

I relealize this is a bit more bandwidth intensive but to me (with unlimited Vision), it's far better than having to keep track of what messages are "local" and what are really available on the server.
    Last edited by ckohler; 11/21/2003 at 12:03 PM.
    ckohler, I've toyed with the idea of showing just the tail end of an IMAP folder. You'd say, I want 300 msgs in this folder and it would keep a scrolling list of the most recent 300. My Nokia setting is kinda like that but it seems to grow and grow beyond the amount I've set, and I don't know what the heck it's doing.

Is that what you are thinking? It's hard to envision a full IMAP folder being available on the device.

I also agree with you about the local stuff being a cache of the IMAP mailbox. I just don't like the implementations I've seen so far because they don't seem to have an offline optimized setting.
    ckholer, you hit it right on the head. The ideal imap client would work like Mozilla email in "offline" mode - when you connect, it would sync your changes and download new mail. I want my palm to sync my mail the same way it syncs all my data. I don't have one copy on my desktop and one copy on my palm; it's all the same data.

Why NO ONE has developed an app that does this and works well on the Treo is beyond me. I bought Snappermail lifetime over a year ago because I was under the impression they'd have IMAP support by 2Q '03, and I wanted to give them some money to help with that ideal. They're still the best out there in terms of interface, but the POP3 stuff just doesn't work well for the sync I want to do. It marks all the messages in my box as read, and when I delete things on the server, it doesn't get passed onto the handheld. I'm optimistic that when (if?) they actually get IMAP in they'll do it right, but I'm done holding my breath waiting for it.

If someone can write a client that's good for the Treo, that synchs my mailbox, I'll happily pay some money. Michael Elkins, author of the Unix command-line mail client "mutt" once said, "All mail clients suck. [Mutt] just sucks less." Unfortunately, right now on the Treo, we don't have one that sucks less, yet.
    the_quark

You are describing a wholly differnent implimentation than I'm discribing. In some ways it sounds better since it just does everything in one "burst" of data exchange. But it does have some downfalls. For example, it would have to download and store in ram the bodies of all the emails in your Inbox. This could be time-consuming if you get a lot of email. It may take a while or fill up your available ram.

My ideal IMAP program would require data access to work and would have no concept of an "offline mode". With the benefits of unlimited, always on 3G data (ie. Vision) there isn't any need for an offline mode.

So basically, I want a version of PINE for the PalmOS. Here's how the app would work:[list=1][*]Click to open application.[*]If you are not connected to Vision, it would ask you to connect just like Verichat does. This is because there is no way for the app to know what is in your inbox unless it checks the server first.[*]Once on data, it would proceed to access your IMAP inbox and show you what is currently there. No syncing required since you are looking at the actual contents of your inbox on the server!![*]If you click an email, it would download and display the message. It would *not* download the bodies of any email unless you choose to read it that session.[*]If you read that message a second time, it would read it from a cached version created in that session.[*]If you change to another IMAP folder, it would poll the server for a list of them and let you choose one.[*]Once in the new folder, it would download a list of the current contents of that folder.[*]If you return to the INBOX, the program would re-poll the server for any changes while you were gone. Who knows, you might have gotten a new message.[*]Leaving the program could do one of two things:
    Disconnects from the IMAP server and quit.
    or
    Stay running and stays connected to the IMAP server using the "IDLE" IMAP fuction. That would allow the IMAP server to send an alert to you if your inbox changes. This alert could appear as a dialog much like what Verichat does.[/list=1]
    With the benefits of unlimited, always on 3G data (ie. Vision) there isn't any need for an offline mode.
    There are too many holes in my 3G service to want that kind of a setup. Maybe with 850Mhz, but with 1900Mhz my signal is bouncing on/off all the time. I like the "get it while you can" theory of email synching; i.e. blackberry style.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Originally posted by catania63

I would like to use IMAP4 instead of POP3 because , I suppose, I will have the possibility to discharge only the headers of the email and not all the message.
    I will decide later which message I want to download.
    The mail program of the TREO 600 permits only a minimum limitation of 5 or 10 kb per mail while the headers are no more longer than 1 kb
    I pay with my cell phone , with a TIN GPRS connection, just about 1 EURO per Mbyte downloaded.
    Have you tried SnapperMail for your POP3 mail? It will do everything you've mentioned. You can leave mail on the server or delete it from the server. You can download just the headers or just a percentage of the message or the entire message.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste

You are describing a wholly differnent implimentation than I'm discribing. In some ways it sounds better since it just does everything in one "burst" of data exchange. But it does have some downfalls. For example, it would have to download and store in ram the bodies of all the emails in your Inbox. This could be time-consuming if you get a lot of email. It may take a while or fill up your available ram.

My ideal IMAP program would require data access to work and would have no concept of an "offline mode". With the benefits of unlimited, always on 3G data (ie. Vision) there isn't any need for an offline mode.[/list=1]
    To each his own, of course, but the reason I don't want what you're describing is that I spend so much time not in service. Be it the windowless conference room, waiting for someone in a parking garage, long elevator rides, on airplanes or trips to the boonies, I feel like I have a lot of time with no service and time to kill. If my email is truly synched at those times, I can read and file old mail, ready replies, etc. I can do *some* of this now, but not all of it.

I just hacked together a workaround for the "everything shows up in my desktop inbox as read" problem, but it's ugly. I created a second account on my mail server, and have all my incoming mail copied to it. Then, I wrote a perl program that deletes the mail in both accounts if it gets deleted in either. So, if I hit "delete" on my desktop, it gets deleted on the server in both cases, and if I hit "Junk" on SM, it gets deleted on the server in both cases. I then run the perl program in a cron job every five minutes.

The things I'm still missing are: Even though my script ports over "read" status from desktop to POP account, either POP or SM doesn't pay any attention to it, so things I've already read on the desktop still show up as "new" on the Treo.

And, of course, if I delete it on the server, it doesn't get deleted in Snapper Mail. If I could just solve these two problems, I could manage with little trouble until real IMAP (with folders) support comes out, somewhere. At least now, the difficulties I have are in the Treo, whereas, before, reading mail on my Treo made my desktop experience a lot worse. Now at least it's indifferent.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast