1.    #1  
    My brother just got his Treo 600 yesterday, I got my 600 over a month ago. His is a Revision C, my 600 is a Revision B.

We noticed right away that his camera works differently than my camera. I will try try post some side by side pics tonight, but here is what we found with indoor pictures.

Revision C starts out with a lighter picture, and adjust down to a darker pic. Revision B starts out with a very dark picture and adjust up to a brighter picture.

If you let them both adjust for about 5 seconds, the Revision C has a lighter picture, while the Revision B is a lot darker. The quality on both is still not very good at this point.

If you let them adjust for about 10+ seconds, they start to get the blue dots that have been reported before. After they adjust for that long the pictures are about the same.

All in all, the Revision C cam is a little better for indoor pictures because the images are lighter and essayer to see. The Revision B can get to a light picture after adjusting, but it is very hard to catch it in the "sweet spot" before the blue dots of death.

So if you did not get your 600 right away, you will end up with just a little better cam for inside pictures.
    hm hm hm..

This is very interesting. Thanks for figuring this out..

I wonder how many "revs" there will be before they offer us early folks an update? I bet they won't..
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    How do you see which version you have?
    Originally posted by hall316
    How do you see which version you have?
    If you have the Sprint version, dial ##786, it's toward the bottom of the page that comes up. I'm gonna head to a Sprint store and see if I can swap mine out. I've been having some Short Mail and Picture Mail issues anyway.
  5.    #5  
    You can also just go to Options -> Phone Info in the phone app to get get your hardware revision.
    I experienced the same camera behavior with two Rev. B devices. I don't think it's a function of the hardware Rev, but rather of the camera CMOS calibration. This calibration will vary b/w individual sensors, and not likely batches of sensors. Thus, you might see this behavior across all hardware Revs.

Conrad
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    And to back up that last statement, my Rev C, always starts out dark, and gets lighter, so there doesn't appear to be any consistency here.

ian
    Orange UK user - this is my second phone.

Firmware: 01.15
    Software: Treo600-1.0-OUK
    Hardware: A

Any disadvantages of having an A model?
    oBoy!

[Treo 600 #4, working without error since July 2004]
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by Daemon
    And to back up that last statement, my Rev C, always starts out dark, and gets lighter, so there doesn't appear to be any consistency here.

ian
    It sounds like a bad thing that the cams are different even in the same revision. My hope was Handspring would release a software update to help with the issue, or at least give us a manual setting for adjusting the brighness... It is very easy to tell the automatic brightness does not work well at all indoors. If all the cams are "calibrated" differently, then it would be very hard to get a "one size fits all" patch to this issue. Maybe we can just hope for the manual setting.
    I traded in my Treo 600 A for a new one.. I got a C. The camera on this one is MUCH better.
    Last edited by jojobah; 11/21/2003 at 09:54 AM.
    Its always interesting on Twitter @joelb
    I don't notice a difference. I had A and had to get switched because faulty side-piece and they sent C rev.

FWIW, all the cameras are bad with low-light. I saw no difference in build quality.

The only difference with mine were rev. A had chrome volume buttons on the side and C had the silver (same color as side-panel).

Not really worth returning unless you just have to have the C rev. or you actually have something faulty.
    I had two T600's side by side and noticed the color and quality was better on rev B, as apposwd to rev C. I was going to swap to get the latest rev and believe the quality difference to be too substantial, so I kept rev B. I also noticed that rev C took pictures with blue dots right in the picture, whereas rev B shows blue dots, but they don't appear in the pictures when saved. I would to know the official differences though, as all these differences may exist within the same revisions.
    I traded in my Treo 600 A for a new one.. I got a C. The camera on this one is MUCH better.
    Last edited by jojobah; 11/21/2003 at 09:52 AM.
    Its always interesting on Twitter @joelb
    Revision C starts out with a lighter picture, and adjust down to a darker pic. Revision B starts out with a very dark picture and adjust up to a brighter picture.
    My 600 reports that it is a Rev C, but my camera's pictures always start out dark and get lighter. My co-worker who has a Rev A clearly starts out light and gets darker.

Dunc
    They really should come out with something to fix the camera settings. I too had faulty side moldings, the camera basically started coming apart after three weeks of use. If I actually paid full price for this thign I would be freaking out. None the less it has gotten to the point where I have to say it is just a phone and not to worry about it. Revision B camera seemed to be better than revision C. So from what I can gather from what I read here, it is all in the individaul settings of each camera. So much for that quality assured "Made in Mexico" label......
  16.    #16  
    Well, it looks like there is no easy way to tell if the cam you will get will be a little better than someone else's.

I wonder how much of this could be fixed with software? Would be interesting to find out exactly why the cameras behave differently, maybe from someone who has experience with CMOS cams?

Anyone... Anyone...
    Originally posted by andrewp75
    They really should come out with something to fix the camera settings. I too had faulty side moldings, the camera basically started coming apart after three weeks of use. If I actually paid full price for this thign I would be freaking out. None the less it has gotten to the point where I have to say it is just a phone and not to worry about it. Revision B camera seemed to be better than revision C. So from what I can gather from what I read here, it is all in the individaul settings of each camera. So much for that quality assured "Made in Mexico" label......
    "assembled in Mexico" with Japanese/US parts. Not made. Assmembled...
    Originally posted by Genenvy

"assembled in Mexico" with Japanese/US parts. Not made. Assmembled...
    assembled in Mexico. With Japanese/US designed parts made in China.