1.    #1  
    Why cant someone make a PhonePDA with the following features:

1) High resolution screen.
    2) 4 band radio
    3) No ear piece or mic but instead defer both of these to a bluetooth headset that can be docked in the phone. When someone calls you, you use the bluetooth headset to answer the phone.
    a) The headset must be appropriate to use either clipped on the ear or held to the ear.
    b) The headset should present the appearance of a very dumb phone. No dialing or anything like that but perhaps
    a tiny LCD display showing who dialed.
    c) Have a button to answer calls on the headset so that when you get a call, you can just push this button instead of having to get out the PDA.
    4) WLAN
    5) WiFI
    6) NO CAMERA ... If I want to get into digital photography I will buy a high quality digital camera. Cameras on phones are little more than a toy.
    7) 256MB ram minimum.
    8) Palm OS 6+
    a) With a whole new and more refined widget set for making the Pocket PC look like a POS. (I hate microsoft)
    9) BUILT IN EGRIPS !!!
    10) VGA video out port for mobile power point.

Now that would be a phone I could enjoy. One that would let me use my bluetooth headset to answer calls instead of fishing out and potentially dropping my expensive PDA in the process of trying to frantically answer a call. It would be a PDA that could have all of my contacts and business information.

Treo 900 ?

Comments ?
    -- Kraythe
    -- Author: Hardcore Java, Published by O'Reilly and Due in stores January 2004.
    Originally posted by Kraythe
    Why cant someone make a PhonePDA with the following features:
    Because someone isn't smart enough.
    The whole idea is to carry fewer devices. Your idea just perpetuates poor basic design.

At least treo 600 tries to minimise it.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by bartie
    The whole idea is to carry fewer devices. Your idea just perpetuates poor basic design.

At least treo 600 tries to minimise it.
    How is that? The headset is just that... a headset. Not a phone, not a radio, no address book or other stuff. Leave the pda in its case and detatch the headset when you get a call and answer it without even moving the PDA from your pocket. If you drop the headset, it will be much less expensive than dropping the pda.

The problem with the current combis is that the cell phones are too intelligent. I dont even want a cell phone in the headset. I merely want it to be a handsfree headset.
    -- Kraythe
    What you want is a powerful pda that connects to a dumb (as in no smartphone features) handset via bluetooth.

This already exists ... you just have to carry 2 devices, not one.

With wireless access on a T600 I really don't understand the need for wifi. If you say because it gives you access @ work or @ home to your system ... why are you using your phone and not your system?

Headset ... maybe ... but I want a stereo hs so I can use the features of the phone (mp3, etc.) when I'm on my trek or taking a walk. BT probably won't help much there.

There is so much more that this little baby can do, but my feeling is that software will limit things ... not hardware.
  6.    #6  
    this does NOT exist. There are no bluetooth dumb phones that do what I want them to do. I want the PDA to be the radio and the headset to merely be the speaker and mic.
    -- Kraythe