1.    #1  
    Hey All,

I have been using the Treo Portable keyboard for quite a while.

I have used it on 6 different treo's with exactly the same problem on all of them...

When you install the driver for the keyboard (portableKB.prc) or something like that... everything works perfectly..... EXCEPT that you can no longer send/recieve beams.

it says "cannot initialize library" whenever you try

I HAVE NO IDEA why this driver would cause that error... but it definetly does, unless you delete the driver and do a soft reset, YOU CANNOT USE BEAM CAPABILITIES.

Anyone have a solution?

-Mike
  2.    #2  
    Just found this:

How do I avoid the error, "Could not initialize library" when trying to beam an item?

The Treo Portable Keyboard accessory is enabled through an application called PortableKB. This application runs on your Treo in the background. If it is enabled, it is not possible to either send or receive via the infrared port. You may experience the inability to receive any beamed items and you will see the error message "Could not initialize library" when you attempt to beam or perform an Infrared HotSync operation. Please disable the Portable Keyboard driver before using infrared functionality.

Launch PortableKB application on your Treo.
    Click the OFF option for Status:
    Exit the PortableKB application
    Don't forget to come back to PortableKB to re-enable the keyboard driver when you next wish to use the Portable Keyboard accessory.

Background information: Palm OS devices are limited to one serial port in use at a time. The keyboard driver uses that port all of the time while activated. The infrared beaming port requires access to this port in order to beam.
    So thats the answer!
    Careful, Weebit -- having a conversation with yourself is purple's schtick.

Thanks, as always, for the info.
    Fortunately the PalmOne wireless Keyboard driver has an IR autooff feature that prevents this error!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Anyone know where to get the palm infrared wireless keyboard for a good price. A number of places seem to advertise it for $49 (list is $69), but they are *all* out of stock/ backordered...
    I plan on getting one soon. I used one with my Sony Clie and it was great for those lenghty emails or for editing documents in Docs to Go. A great investment for somebody who is on the road a lot.
    I too am having a problem with my Treo 600 not being able to beam -- and getting the message "Could not iniitialize library."
    I have installed the treo portable keyboard and I found the followig instructions on your forum:

-----------
    Launch PortableKB application on your Treo.
    Click the OFF option for Status:
    Exit the PortableKB application
    Don't forget to come back to PortableKB to re-enable the keyboard driver when you next wish to use the Portable Keyboard accessory.
    -----------

I launched the portable keyboard application and went to "general" and made sure that the Enable Keyboard checkbox was NOT checked.
    But i don't know how to "exit" the application.
    I went over to my address book and I still get the "could not initialize libary" message when I try to beam.

What I am doing wrong!

HELP!
    Well today ... I figured out that I had TWO keyboards applications on my Treo 600 (one from my old Zire 71). I deleted both of them and reinstalled the one that I just bought. Yuk. Now when I try to launch the portableKB my treo 600 resets its itself -- and does not open the keyboard application. ... and I still can't beam.

HELP!
    In order to beam, you have to go into the PortableKB app on the Treo600 and turn "off" the keyboard. Then you can beam. Turn it back on, when you want to use the KB. I love the KB for the Treo. 4 rows of keys is a must for me since I use the number keys a lot. One tip you may or may not use, is that I popped off the "Applications" key cap, just to the right of the spacebar. Now I don't accidentally hit the Applications key when I'm hitting the spacebar with my right thumb. And I can still press the exposed rubber thingy to get to Applications. That was my only gripe with the KB, now I use it all the time, in meetings, conferences, sending emails, etc. I can type on it as fast as any other normal KB.
    The wireless keyboard is neat since it is universal, but the dedicated Treo keyboard has a real "one up" which is hte ability to connect to the chargere so you can leave your Treo plugged in while using it.
    On a side note, the PortableKB driver problem also affects the car kit.
    If you don't have it disabled before placing the Treo in the car kit, the Treo doesn't realize it's in the car kit.
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post