1.    #1  
    Ok...there's the situation. I have a "hard" client that wants a device that can allow him to check his POP emails wirelessly when he travels internationally. I need your expert advice to see if the Treo600 meets his needs?

His situation and requirements:

-client is based in indonesia
    -now he checks 2 POP emails via Outlook on his laptops
    -he travels to Australia & Singapore frequently
    -he wants to check emails, attachments & sms while travelling between the 3 countries.
    -he uses 2 sim cards now - Indonesia SIM & Australia SIM
    -he wants a PDA-like device rather than a laptop to check emails, etc.

My key issues - seeking your advice:

1 - Where and When in the USA can i buy a sim-unlocked T600 and at what price? (I have friends in USA that can help me buy)

2 - Since he's travelling all the time, is there a palm software that can replace normal PC-PDA synchronization? like a auto-backup software? If disaster strikes, how can he recover his data?

3 - What happens if T600 runs out of battery? do you loose all your data instantly?

4 - If I import the T600 from USA or other countries, what warrantly protection does he have if the T600 is faulty? Is there a recourse? Where can I obtain future technical support?

5 - For a traveller, what accessories do you think is essential for him?

6 - Are there softwares to read attachements such as Word docs and PDF?

7 - Can he read chinese websites using GPRS on the english version of T600? is there foreign languages support and plugins like the a typical web browser?

Can you suggest other PDAs that can accomplish what he want to do? maybe a BlackBerry?

Thanks all....
    ask him to get it from www.dutagemilang.com
    treo 600
    or the p900
    or one of each
    hehe
    oh yes
    he should consider xda II too
    with built in bluetooth,
    not bad
  4.    #4  
    wolwol, are you from indo? did you get your t600 from the Duta?

Just trying to gauge the reliability of the webstore....

There's no mention of warranty or support information with the product bought from their store...

Price is not bad....US$767 after conversion...
    hehe
    yep, am from indonesia, but currently in states
    you might want to join the local indo palm mailinglist for more info @ id-palmOS for palmOS products or id-pocketpc for pocketpc's...
    currently they're discussing the treo and xda II on both respective sites.
    fyi, those groups are in yahoogroups.com
    search for it
    as for dutagemilang, never buy anything from them, but i do know the owner is an active member @ both mailinglist.
    another online site is @ benshop.com
    1 - Where and When in the USA can i buy a sim-unlocked T600 and at what price? (I have friends in USA that can help me buy)
    I'ld refer you to some of the other sites referred to above. It's hard enough finding a locked GSM Treo600 in the US! I'ld be shocked if you actually found a unlocked one!

2 - Since he's travelling all the time, is there a palm software that can replace normal PC-PDA synchronization? like a auto-backup software? If disaster strikes, how can he recover his data?
    Well, I think you're asking to two thing here. If the issue is regarding backups for emergencies, then yes there are numerous 3rd party solutions that can backup data to the SD expansion card. You can read a very useful thread on the subject here. I personally use backupman.

If you're referring to synchronizing remotely the Treo600 wireless to your desktop, than this is also possible. However, the process is extremely slow and can be expensive depending on your data plans. You can read more about it here and here.

3 - What happens if T600 runs out of battery? do you loose all your data instantly?
    I recall reading somewhere that if the Treo600 battery is fully drained, it will retain information in the Ram for about 2 days before being lost. However, I wouldn't chance something like this! Instead, I recommend getting something like the Handspring external battery or something cheaper like various battery extenders that you can find on ebay...

4 - If I import the T600 from USA or other countries, what warrantly protection does he have if the T600 is faulty? Is there a recourse? Where can I obtain future technical support?
    You should refer to warranties offered in you home country IMO instead of depending on PalmOne...

5 - For a traveller, what accessories do you think is essential for him?
    Battery extender or external battery
    Travel charger/wall charger or upcoming double charger
    nice case
    SD expansion card, larger the merrier
    Palm wireless keyboard or Treo600 keyboard for lengthy data entry ( I prefer the former)
    Nice wireless headphones - do a search for various opinions
    screen protectors

6 - Are there softwares to read attachements such as Word docs and PDF?
    yes, you need an app called Documents To Go 6 from Dataviz for PalmOS. You can view/eit native Word/Excel files with this app and even download them as attachment via email clients like Snappermail or Versamail. Snappermail is my favorite however, the Handspring email client that is bundled with the GSM Treo600 is also very good. There's also acrobat support: do a search at palmgear.com for more info...

7 - Can he read chinese websites using GPRS on the english version of T600? is there foreign languages support and plugins like the a typical web browser?
    You need to get CKJOS for PalmOS by DYTS. However, I'm not sure how well this will work on the Treo600 low rez screenie...

Can you suggest other PDAs that can accomplish what he want to do? maybe a BlackBerry?
    A BB is great for email, but is it even offered in indonesia? Anyway, if you want anything beyond simple email functionality like PalmOS pda, camera, mp3 player, internet browser, etc than the Treo600 is it IMO. The big negative regarding the BB is lack of third party apps. Then there are other options like the SE P800/900, Nokia 3650, 6600, as well as M$ SPV/E200 and XDA2. All have their strenghts/weakness, but if you want PalmOS and thumbboard, the Treo600 is the best solution IMO...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions