Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just wondering who is not using a case and how the phone is holding up cosmetically. Now that I have my egrips and G2 screen protectors, I started carrying around the phone in my pocket without a case. It's just so much nicer to carry the phone around like this. I just don't like the bulk that cases add and how they interfere with the comfort and operation of using the phone. Plus, it's great to place my phone on the dash/console seat of my car and not have it slide around due to the egrips.
    Ok, fine, I'll order the egrips I know I need them.

I hear that. It's usually in my pocket if I'm walking around. I have the screen covered, but I think the casing will hold up to scratches better than my old sanyo phone, and I dont drop this one. I like a few cases/clips, but I dont like anything sticking way out off my belt, and my treo doesnt do horizontal, it's a prude.

Unless I am wowed, or really feel the need, I'm caseless, hell I figure I'm gonna get at least one new one before I move to my next phone anyway. We got insurance, right?
    -Treo 600 on Sprint
    I have been caseless since my 300 days. The 300, after about a year in my pocket, did get scratched a bit, I think from a few times I put my keys in the same pocket by accident. The biggest problem in going caseles is the damage you might other wise avoid with a case if you should, like I did, drop the phone.

The 600 is working well in my pocket caseless. It is a little bulkier feeling in the pocket, but not at all bad. I haven't dropped it yet, but it certainly is slipperier so I think egrips are essential. I haven't gotten mine yet. The only propblem I am having is that the ring is softer and I often do not hear it in my pocket. I have read threads here that talk about ways to make it louder.

If you do go caseless in your pocket, get in the habit of putting the phone in with it's screen facing your leg. I have a screen cover but I worry about accidentally bumping it into something or, God forbid, falling down on top of it. If you put it in with the antenna down, you won't have to turn it in your had to read the screen. It comes out ready for use and the less you have to fuss with it the less likely you are to drop it.

Hope that helps.

John
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by johnbdh

If you do go caseless in your pocket, get in the habit of putting the phone in with it's screen facing your leg. I have a screen cover but I worry about accidentally bumping it into something or, God forbid, falling down on top of it. If you put it in with the antenna down, you won't have to turn it in your had to read the screen. It comes out ready for use and the less you have to fuss with it the less likely you are to drop it.

Hope that helps.

John
    Great suggestions! I never thought of that!
    but it certainly is slipperier so I think egrips are essential. I haven't gotten mine yet.
    I was on a flight the other day and had my T600 in my front shirt pocket. I bent over during takeoff to get something I dropped and my T600 fell out of my pocket and landed in the carpeted isle on its very slippery back. Since we were taking off if disappeared in no time. All I could see was my T600 sliding very quickly to the back of the plane. One of the flight attendants saw what had happen and once we had climbed out went and retrived my T600. She had a good laugh, it had made it to the back of the plane.

I also go caseless, carrying my phone in my front pants pocket, screen facing my leg. No scratches as of yet. In the car I hang my phone from a clip I have mounted on my rear view mirror and at the office I usually just set it on my desk.
    Carl
  6.    #6  
    A nice thing about the egrips too is that when you place the phone down on the backside, only the egrips come in contact with the surface...helping to protect the back from scratches too.
    If you put it in with the antenna down, you won't have to turn it in your had to read the screen. It comes out ready for use and the less you have to fuss with it the less likely you are to drop it.
    I think I'll try this, as it also addresses my other concern - that when the phone is in my pocket, and I sit, I'm putting pressure on the aerial, and it will one day snap off. With the aerial pointing down, it is against my leg, rather than near the hip joint.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by kmwmtd

I think I'll try this, as it also addresses my other concern - that when the phone is in my pocket, and I sit, I'm putting pressure on the aerial, and it will one day snap off. With the aerial pointing down, it is against my leg, rather than near the hip joint.
    Yah, I was always concerned about that as well.

Boy, with all the threads about cases on this board, I'm glad to see that there are plenty of caseless people too!
    I pretty much hate cases....unless they are truly "slim". Not many cases are. I am actually a fan of a hip holster - I had the one manufactured by HandSpring with my T300, worked really well, BUT, it scratched the paint up all over the unit! So far, the T600 has proven to be far more robust, and the build quality is absolutely solid. I have no screen protectors, no egrips....just the naked 600 with me at all times. Usually in the pocket with the screen facing my leg (that was an obvious one to me). Sometimes I slip it in my briefcase when the pants aren't quite as bulky! But even with tighter slacks, it still slips nicely in the pocket. I really think the 600 is one slick mobile device.

I haven't dropped my 600 yet for any great distance...but my confidence is growing that they made this thing with toughness in mind.

IMHO, I think that manufacturers should build their mobile devices to be tough enough to resist most scratching - without a case, which goes for both the body and the screen! Why should we have to buy stinking "screen protectors"? These units cost 600 a piece, and while the technology inside the unit is usually the focus of progress, so should the outside. Durability is just as important as every other feature on the unit.
  10.    #10  
    I always carried my caseless T300 with the flat, backside against my leg because it was more comfortable that way and with the flip it really didn't matter. So, with the T600, I just started carrying it in the same position, not really thinking about the fact that the flat side was now the front and that I should now reverse it. But then again, I only gave in to going caseless again 2 days ago, so I'm sure it would have hit me sooner or later to do so!

Handspring certainly claimed the screen to be resistant against scratching, but I'm more comfortable with the extra protection afforded by the screen protector. I would not use one if they affected the visibility of the screen in any way, but since I cannot even tell the G2 is even on there, I will definitely stick with it. I had tried screen protectors on my T300 that dulled the screen or used adhesive and hated them. So far, I see no drawbacks whatsoever with the G2's.
    I was thinking along the lines of a "skin" like they have for the Ipod. Something just a little thick to protect the finish, and small drops. Then I'm reminded somehow of those Swatch watches with the jelly band around them. nah. It really is too good looking to cover up.
    -Treo 600 on Sprint
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by nmotion
    I was thinking along the lines of a "skin" like they have for the Ipod. Something just a little thick to protect the finish, and small drops. Then I'm reminded somehow of those Swatch watches with the jelly band around them. nah. It really is too good looking to cover up.
    Yah, I'll still be interested in seeing the Vaja I-Volution Ipod type case when it's available, but I doubt I'll want that either.
    I have never carried a phone in a case. Well I shouldn't say never since I did have a case for my very first cellphone, a Nokia 918. Ever since then there has only been one way for me. A Radioshack Universal Beltclip. Now hear me out. The clip attachs to my belt over my left buttock. (Saying "buttock" is fun!) and then a round peg sticks to the back of the phone. When you attach the phone the peg slides down and snaps into place. It is a swivel clip so you can turn the phone sideways along your belt and almost forget it's there! It also comes with a small unit that sticks to your dash, so when you get in the car the phone comes off the belt and on the dash. I have carried many phones this way. Nokia 6185, Samsung 3500, TP2200, TP3000, Samsung I300, Treo300, and they have all held up well. Now I carry my 600 the same way. It gives me great, fast access to me phone when I need it, and keeps it out of my way when I don't. Besides, like someone said earlier "that's why we have insurance"
    I used the included slip case for about a day or two, but now it's caseless for me. I just have a screen protector on mine, but otherwise it goes right in my pocket. I agree, though, that sometimes it's hard to hear it ring.

I'll have to look into those egrips though. They sound useful.
    Basically this goes along the lines of me with my iPod, since they're about the same value. Both came with a case, and I try the iPod case worked better (Note, do not stick the iPod into the Treo case...it took a good 5 minutes to get it out). I went caseless with my Samsung SCH-A310 and did eventually get a case. However, the belt clip that usually comes on these are rarely ever slim. Usually around an inch thick, and bulge out over my clothes. I don't like that. So, I generally don't have a case on my phone and just carry it in my pocket. The Treo case is kinda perfect for this, as it isn't that bulky. I'd need a case that doesnt add too much bulk to the phone, yet protects it to a good degree.

I haven't dropped my Treo yet (Just got it on Saturday before this post) but have dropped my iPod before and screamed like a girl and had a heart attack at the same time. It was painful. iPod was fine though.
    I wear Land's End dress pants most of the time and they have a pocket within the right front pocket for change etc. The Treo sits perfectly in this and doesn't slide around in my pocket. I tried the belt clip case but it's just too bulky. I have my egrips ordered and think that will help even further.
    I go caseless almost always.
    When I am dressed for business I will use a Kenneth Cole Pouch type with belt clip. It is extremely easy to retrieve the phone from the pouch and it protects it against bumps against doors and such. However if I going casual I usually go caseless because the belt clip pouch doesn't feel good or look good if your shirt is not tucked in(sweaters, sweatshirts etc.
    My phone is holding up GREAT going caseless. I used it for PocketTunes while in the gym lately but I'm scared it's going to get smashed by a heavy weight.
    Anyway, I definitely DO NOT use the slip case. It seems to live up to it's name! I had it in the slip case the other day and i went to gesture to my left and the phone flew out of the slip case like a bullet. Lucky I have cat-like reflexes and caught it in mid air!
    Usually when trying to take the case and phone out of my pocket, I tend to get only the phone. Mainly because I grab the antenna.
    I carry mine caseless. I had it in my lap and got out of the car and it dropped from my truck about 3 feet and hit the concrete. Luckily it flew out like a frisbee and slid on it's slippery back. No damage, and the scratches aren't that noticeable.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    I got frustrated with cases that cover too much of the treo, but I like my belt. clip. I've have theclip.com glue on clip and it is small on the treo, doesn't interfere with anything, and seems to hold on tightly.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast