1.    #1  
    Somewhere along the lines I read, or thought I read, of a converter that would allow you to either use mp3s in your ringtone or convert them to be used? I know I should have bookmarked it then.
    Originally posted by dcmidnight
    Somewhere along the lines I read, or thought I read, of a converter that would allow you to either use mp3s in your ringtone or convert them to be used? I know I should have bookmarked it then.
    Yes and no. An mp3 can't really be converted to a midi. An mp3 is an recording of real world sounds. A midi is made up of notes of sampled instruments that are constructed. What you saw was most likely a program that takes the mp3 and then creates a midi to sound like mp3. From what I've heard, they don't work very well and in order to get the midi to sound half way decent, you'll need a midi editing program to tweak the hell out of it. You're better off downloading midis of the songs you want to begin with.
    I've played with an app that does this, and it really sucked. You are better off having someone with musical talent make a simple ringer from the MP3 to a MIDI manually.