1.    #1  
    Now I live in germany and I am thinking of springing for a Treo without a contract for nearly 900 euros. The money isnt the problem but I want to make sure it does what i want.

1) Good reception. A crappy radio just isnt an option.
    2) Photos .. oh ya .. I couldnt give a damn about this, I wish they would stop bothering integrating them with phones. If I wanna take pictures, I will buy a digital camera.
    3) Document reading. On my way into work on public transport I OFTEN read downloaded documents on the Pocket PC I borroed from work. I need the ability to do the same thing on the Treo 600. (Dotn worry about PDFs, they are a pain on all platforms)
    4) Calendar and appointments. Synch with outlook and netscape calendar. Push my personal appointments to work as onl "personal" with no information other than that.
    5) Email on the fly.
    6) SMS (too many friends . =) ) HEAVY SMS.
    7) Contact list
    8) Minor games .. not looking to play doom but some simple tetris like games to kill time in airports.
    10) Data Capacity.
    11) Resistant to being dropped if it is in its case. No device is drop proof but a single drop shouldnt kill it.
    12) Consultant time management. where I spent time and who to bill it to.

I would appreciate all answers to these questions. I am looking for a Phone/PDA combo in palm. I am willing to sacrifice a bit of real estate but it still must be enough to read HTML documents decently. If someone would download the following specification and give me a few screenshots from it, I would be greatly appreciative. (yes this is the scary crap I read)

It is available here:
    ftp://ftp.javasoft.com/docs/specs/langspec-2.0.html.zip

TIA.
    -- Kraythe
    -- Author: Hardcore Java, Published by O'Reilly and Due in stores January 2004.
    900 euros is almost $1100 US dollars.

The Treo is a great device but there's no way I would have paid $1100 for it!

As for everything on your list, the Treo will do them fine.
    True with the exception of being drop proof. I dropped my phone, IN ITS CASE from about 2 feet off the ground as I got out of my car, and poof no more internal ear piece. Reports vary, but this phone is far from what I would concider rugged.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by Im So Unpopular
    900 euros is almost $1100 US dollars.

The Treo is a great device but there's no way I would have paid $1100 for it!

As for everything on your list, the Treo will do them fine.
    *shrug* I need a PDA Phone combo. If not that one then what ? Ideally I would have a pda that was a phone with no mic or earpiece and deferred all of those operations to a bluetooth headset and had a place to dock the headsset into the phone for storage. That would rock.
    -- Kraythe
    Originally posted by Kraythe

*shrug* I need a PDA Phone combo. If not that one then what ? Ideally I would have a pda that was a phone with no mic or earpiece and deferred all of those operations to a bluetooth headset and had a place to dock the headsset into the phone for storage. That would rock.
    I dunno. I would suggest trying to go into some store and play with one for a bit and see if you feel like spending that price on it. If the money really is no object, then by all means go for it.
    Originally posted by Kevin25a
    True with the exception of being drop proof. I dropped my phone, IN ITS CASE from about 2 feet off the ground as I got out of my car, and poof no more internal ear piece. Reports vary, but this phone is far from what I would concider rugged.
    I've dropped mine a couple of times and no damage. I guess I was lucky and you weren't!
    Originally posted by Kraythe
    Now I live in germany and I am thinking of springing for a Treo without a contract for nearly 900 euros. The money isnt the problem but I want to make sure it does what i want.
    Ouch! If you are in Germany, come to Switzerland and buy one. 'only' Euro635

Send me an email if you come and you can buy me some beers with the Euro265 you save

bis später
    www.gsmworld.com
  8.    #8  
    I dont have a car. I would need to borrow one or pay the difference in cost for a train ticket.
    -- Kraythe