1.    #1  
    Ok, here's the deal. I bought a Treo 300 and a 2 yr PDA replacement plan from Compusa a little over a year ago. I think that my Treo is going to "break" soon

I'm not interested in receiving another Treo. I'm not even 100% sure if Compusa has a phone or PDA that I would like to get.

What can I expect when I take my Treo in. Will I only get a new 300 back? If there are no 300's there, will I only be offered a new PDA, or can I just get store credit to buy anything I'd like?

On a related note, if my Treo were to break, what would be the easiest, most common way, that would lead to the least amount of hassle when using my replacement plan?
    uh, the impact you're about to feel on your backside will be the boot of Kurt or some other moderator giving you the boot.

David
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I just went through almost the same situation a couple of weeks ago, so I will share my experience.

I had a Visor Prism that I used with VisorPhone that was under CompUSA 2 year replacement warranty. It wasnt completely defective, but there were enough things wrong with it that I felt justified in asking for a replacement. Here are the 2 main reasons that I gave to CompUSA: 1)The up button worked about 50% of the time. 2)Everytime I had to hotsync, I had to spend about 10 minutes pressing the button on the cradle, exiting the desktop software & restarting, rebooting, etc to get it to work, and it was getting worse.

They took my pda & said they had to send it to be checked out and they would get back to me with their decision in 3 days. A week (and 15 phone calls) later, they phoned to tell me that they would replace my old pda with a new Tungsten E. (Word of caution Ė donít give them your original receipt with your PDA. Let them make copies & you hold on to your original. They lost the copy of my receipt, didnít bother telling me until I called on day 3 to ask about the status, & I had to fax them a copy!) I complained that the Tungsten E did not have phone capability, and therefore was not as good as my old visor prism w/visorphone. I thought that was a good argument, but they didnt buy it. I should have pushed harder, though. But since phone capability is built into your Treo 300, and not just an accessory, they should definitely have to offer you a smartphone replacement. If I were you, I would insist on the Tungsten W, which at the moment is the only thing they have in stock that is comparable to your Treo 300. But, youíre thinking, what if I donít want a Tungsten W?

Well I didnít want a Tungsten E, so as an alternative, they offered me a credit for the value of the Tungsten E, but only for store cost, not list! This last bit I objected to strenuously, and while they wouldnít budge on the amount of the credit, a sympathetic manager did agree to knock off an equivalent amount from the item that I purchased with the credit. Of course, you could always take whatever item they give you and sell it on ebay! In the end, I would say I was satisfied with my outcome. Of course, Iím going to miss that beautiful 64,000 color screen on my Prism after I eventually switch to the T600!

One other thing Ė others on this forum have noted that CompUSA has recently changed the terms of their PDA Replacement Plan to only give you a refurbished model of whatever item you are replacing. There are plenty of refurbished T300ís still around, so they might try to stick you with one of those. However, that was a recent policy change (within the past year) and those were definitely not the terms of the policy you purchased two years ago! Hopefully you saved a copyÖ You may have to be insistent that they stick to the terms of your policy, which means giving you a brand new Treo300 or a suitable alternative. Since CompUSA no longer stocks the Treo300, they will have to go with the alternative.

Good luck!