1.    #1  
    I installed the Audible.com software and it works great with one exception -- I can't get the sound to come over the earbud. The sound only comes out of the speaker on the back. It doesn't seem to be a hardware problem because the earbud works fine for telephone calls. In fact, the speaker will shut off when a telephone call comes in, I can use the earbud for the telephone call, hang up, and the speaker starts up again.

Other than this one glitch, Audible.com works great, and allows me to eliminate one more device (the Audible.com Otis MP3 player). Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to get the sound from Audible.com to come over the earbud?
    The earbud is for the telephone only. You need any type of headphones. They are wired differently. I got radio shack retractable headphones for $19.95 along with a radio shack adaptor (3.5 mm to 2.5 mm). I did eventually have problems with the radio shack adaptor and wound up buying the adaptor from handspring, which works fine. I would suggest you do NOT get the RS adaptor.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the advice. I have ordered the adapter from HS.
    According to the Audible website and the Treo 600 manual, you must purchase the stereo headset adapter from palmone for $9.99 in order to listen to the audible books through the headset rather than the speakerphone.