1.    #1  
    For those who don't know, AdvantageRx allows you to load Epocrates on the SD instead of remaining in your Ram. It sorta works like PowerRun for Epocrates. However, I've been having problems with it and wonder if it was just Treo600 related or not? From my experiences, AdvantageRx loads epocrates fine onto the card. Launching the Epoc from the card is pretty slow, however that probably is also due to my slow card. The problem arises when I try to use the Epoc Pro features like QID etc from the card. It just gives me a soft reset. Then when I try to copy epocrates back to Ram, the installation seems to get corrupted and I have to re-install the whole thing! Even when I try to re-install epocrates via AdvantageRx back to the card, it still stays corrupted somehow? Can anyone get this to work on their Treo600 w/o crashing? What I'ld like to be able to do is load epocrates on the card when I need the extra Ram and run it from there if required...but keep it in Ram most of the time when I need access it frequently. However, if AdvantageRx corrupts the Pro version, then the whole thing would be moot! Also just to note, you need to load it into Ram is you want to do a wireless Autoupdate which works fine. Its just accessing the pro features that seems to screw things up? Any thoughts?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'd stay away from it. When I tried it in the past on an older device it was way too slow to be useful anyways. They also offer a similar product to run AvantGo from the memory card, but it has gotten many bad reviews as well (crashes, etc).
    I had *exactly* wcarlson40's experience. Not a useful app.

I really miss the "good old days" when epocrates first came out, the improved/expanded info is great but it used to be a streamlined and fast app.

I thought I would be able to leave my Tarascom at home...no such luck.

JT
    Tried a few options but went back to running epocrates from RAM. Does anyone have any good patient tracking programs? My patient tracker looks awful on T600 so I continue to use on my ClieUX50 (works only with code diver). I am currently building a database but would love a program were labs, etc. pop up.
    Pocket Addict

Clie UX50/Ti68/Nextel BB 6510/Treo600/SE T637/Audiovox 5600/HP 4700/Audiovox PPC 6601
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, thanks guys....that's what I figured. It's just that I hate how bloated Epocrates has become! If you don't want to use the Pro version, then all that extra data just sits there wasting space which totally irks me! Anyway, after further experimentation, AdvantageRx does seem to work fine with the regular free version. Just don't try to launch the Pro version from AdvantageRx and there should be no problems. Anyway, I emailed Toysoft about any updates...hopefully they'll respond and I post whatever answers I get here...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 11/18/2003 at 05:04 PM.

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I rather like the Pro version I have. See if you can get a hospital / office to pay for the extra cost if you have a CME allowance. Otherwise, at least it's a tax write off.

PowerRun estimated a 12 second lag for Epocrates, so I didn't touch it. Just loaded *everything* else I could onto the SD card via PowerRun.

Good luck!
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by TreoTheo
    I rather like the Pro version I have. See if you can get a hospital / office to pay for the extra cost if you have a CME allowance. Otherwise, at least it's a tax write off.

PowerRun estimated a 12 second lag for Epocrates, so I didn't touch it. Just loaded *everything* else I could onto the SD card via PowerRun.

Good luck!
    I tried PowerRun and it generally works. Also the lag time is about the same for AdvantageRx imo, the difference is that AdvantageRx gives you a neat countdown timer which makes it seem zippier. However, the advantage of AdvantageRx is that you don't have to reload Epocrates back into Ram if you want to update via hotsync, it does that automatically for you. Of course you will have to reload it into Ram if you want to so a manual wirless update...

P.S. Does anyone know if Tarascon supports the expansion card?

8.    #8  
    Okay, just got an email reply from Toysoft for all those interested:

HI,

avantageRX was released awhile ago to support ePocratesRX
    and not Pro. There could be some incompatibility issues with the
    Pro version. Launching it from the card should be quick on OS5.
    On my TT it takes about 15 seconds compared to minutes on the
    M515 during testing.

at this point we don't have any plans to upgrade avantageRX.
    Who knows maybe we have time soon.

if you are looking for tools for your Treo600 I would recommend
    out other products: LightNzip for unzip files that you download
    and myWorkbench as your file manager for managing ram and
    card files, backup/restore and view jpgs. please visit out site
    for details www.toysoft.ca

regards

danny

TreoTheo,

This is exactly what I did so I could use Epocrates Pro most efficiently. I use PowerRUN to move as many programs as possible to my SD card.

I like Epocrates Pro's alternative medicine list and multi-check for the patients who ask something to the effect of, "Can I take that with my St. John's Wart and Rose Hips?"

Russell
    gfunkmagic,
    Tarascon does support the expansion card. You can install it directly to the card during a hotsync.
    Zane