Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I thought it was sending short text messages to another sprint phone.

Is this the same as sending an email to phoneno@messaging.springpcs.com?

Why is it any better / worse than emailing or instant messaging?

Thanks for the help.
    yes, sprints Text Message is not really that, it SMS (short mail service) and even that is still flawed. But yes, you can use the XXX@messaging.sprintpcs.com address in an email, go to their messaging.sprintpcs site. Or if your phone can handle just a number, then you can go that route. My treo300&600 can get it off just the 10 dig number. My wifes A-460, can only be reached with the xxx@messagin.sprintpcs.com address.

The only benifit I see, is you can get alerts from websites and it's like minipush mail or IM if you will. Hope this helps, matt
    SMS is for sending messages back and forth between cell phones. Most cell phones don't have easy access to IM chatting and e-mail the same way the Treo does. However most are equipped with some sort of text messages. SMS has become a standard for text messaging with cell phones (except on Sprint and Nextel).
    Originally posted by coreysapp
    I thought it was sending short text messages to another sprint phone.
    <snip>
    Why is it any better / worse than emailing or instant messaging?
    Historically, SMS have been widely used long before mobile phones became capable of sending/receiving emails, which explains part of their success. At the beginning, it fitted in an unused slot in the data packets exchanged between the phones and servers, which is the reason why it was free.

Also, as noted by Burkhardi, it's a "push-like" technology, which is nice, and it's rather inexpensive (when compared with a phone call, at least), and can often be used regardless of the sender and receiver's carriers or phone model.

Otherwise, it's severly limited (160 characters) and email has become a viable alternate solution on modern mobile phones, which makes SMS less appealing.
    SMS is clumsy and extremely limited, but served a very useful purpose in the early days of wireless communications. It will soon be a historical artifact as data-enabled phones become commonplace.

It will be kept alive only as a way of generating extra revenue for wireless carriers (who, after all, need all the revenue they can get). With unlimited cheap data available from most carriers (and from all soon enough), it's nice for them to have something like this to sell.

Marc
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    One thing SMS provides is a means of pushing data to handsets over GSM, which is not a capability built into GSM -- at this point it's the only way to send data to a GSM/GPRS phone that is not connected to GPRS or actually calling a modem (circuit switched data).
    It was more useful before GPRS became commonly available. I recall sending email via SMS (AT&T lets you do it, but the return address includes your cell number, and the recipient's email address is included in the 160 character limit) before I installed the GPRS update. I still do, sometimes, when GPRS flakes out (which happens every so often at the cell tower nearest my house).

It's not incorporated into CDMA (Sprint); Shortmail and the Treo300SMS/Treo600SMS systems are work-arounds to provide an emulation of what SMS does on GSM.

Rusty J
    270 on AT&T (Hey, it works again! Running the battery flat fixed it)
    Dead T|3 (killed by battery sled, awaiting Palm email support reply)
  7.    #7  
    This is exactly what treocentral is good for...
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I wanted to chime in, in defense of SMS. I am using the TREO600 SMS tool from pdaapps.com in lieu of Sprint having native service.

My friend has a T600 like mine, and it is fun to send him a short message, (like when Directory Assistant 2.0 was announced...woohooo!)...

The differences / advantages as I see them...

More asynchronous/less interrupting than chat. I can send my friends or relatives a message, and neither party feels obligated to enter in a chat session. Just send a short something and they get the point.

Quicker than email and native support in the hardware. SMS gets pushed right to the phone, rather than having an email client that has to check for things.

GREAT FOR ALERTS! I have so many things hooked into SMS. My yahoo calendar sends me birthday reminders, my Citibank account lets me know when funds are deposited, Accuweather.com sends me severe weather alerts, and any number of stock tickers and sports sites could send stock or sports updates.

My Mom doesn't check email very often, so when I send her a message, I follow it with an SMS to her phone telling her to check for new mail.

Wasn't Sprint supposed to turn on SMS on 11/17? Since I have T600SMS, I guess I don't care!

Later,

Phil
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I use sms from my Treo 270 alot. But when I had Palm Vx, I would write sms messages on it and bluetooth them to my Ericsson T39m. I could even send sms to others' email accounts. (on T-Mobile just send the message to '500' and put the email address in the body of the message.)

SMS is popular in Europe because everyone has unlimited receive, and calling a cell phone # costs money. Received calls are often free. So, everyone 'texts' each other. SMS is also great in emergency situations where real internet services may not be functioning. And, if you can find carriers's illusive pager dialiin numbers, a dieing email server can use a land line to call in and send you and sms that email is about to fail (or has failed) So, tons of uses for SMS!
    Since most people today carry cell phones, it's easier to send a text message than an email and be assured that it will be received in a timely manner -- no waiting until they get back to their desktops. There are times when you want to send someone information (directions, phone numbers, etc.) where it's in "written" form instead of hoping that he or she retains your spoken word.

I actually like the 160-character limitation. Like writing haiku, you're forced to streamline your thoughts. It's the antithesis of push-to-talk chatter. Because you're sending a message to a cell phone, you're typically writing to someone who's on the go, not at the desktop, so longer messages would be counterproductive in most cases. I use SMS probably twice as much as email on the Treo 600 these days now that Treo600SMS provides intercarrier messaging. I also like the fact that, after paying for a single $20 license for Treo600SMS, messaging is unlimited and free (unlikely to be the case with Sprint's MO-SMS).

Now with qwerty keyboards, you can write in English instead of abbreviated slang. Friends always like getting my SMS messages, often previously unaware that they had the same capability on their own phones. When I show them how to do it on their T9 keyboards, they immediately understand the appeal of the Treo.
    Originally posted by phildro

Wasn't Sprint supposed to turn on SMS on 11/17? Since I have T600SMS, I guess I don't care!

Later,

Phil
    We are all confused on this 11/17 thing. I talked to a Wireless Web tech today about this and the 11/17 cutoff was that you could no longer see or manage your messages on sprintpcs.com, only on the phone.

The SMS capability is not due out until the first of the year and it will not be "true" SMS, but something along the lines of TreoSMS using shortmail.

She also stated that the only phone in Sprint inventory to support the promised SMS capabilities is the Treo 600. Like I really believe that. But who knows.

WooHoo ... post 300! Feel like new money!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Originally posted by tjd414

We are all confused on this 11/17 thing. I talked to a Wireless Web tech today about this and the 11/17 cutoff was that you could no longer see or manage your messages on sprintpcs.com, only on the phone.

The SMS capability is not due out until the first of the year and it will not be "true" SMS, but something along the lines of TreoSMS using shortmail.

She also stated that the only phone in Sprint inventory to support the promised SMS capabilities is the Treo 600. Like I really believe that. But who knows.

WooHoo ... post 300! Feel like new money!
    I don't know who you talked to, but the SMS that's getting rolled out in early January will be real, full SMS just like the other carriers have. Treo300/600SMS just facilitates Short Mail. The SMS that we get will be as real as SMS gets.

He's also wrong about the phones with SMS support. The Nokia 3588i also supports SMS and it'll be set to go once SMS is rolled out. After that point, most if not all Sprint phones will have true SMS capibility.

It sounds like the Wireless Web tech you talked to doesn't know what he's talking about.
    I am like most I believe in the fact that I would rather pay a one time $20 , than fork out five bucks to sprint every month! Go treo600 sms, it rocks!
    Treoseur
    Originally posted by jhat3k1
    I am like most I believe in the fact that I would rather pay a one time $20 , than fork out five bucks to sprint every month! Go treo600 sms, it rocks!
    SMS won't cost us a penny. I posted previously that for those that got the Treo 600 before SMS roll out, we'll have unlimited SMS added to our accounts free. The reason is that Short Mail is being deactivated for all SMS phones. But since we have a phone that can use Short Mail now, they would in effect, be cutting off a service we pay for to charge us for another one. They saw that was wrong so only people who activated a Treo 600 before SMS roll out will get unlimited SMS for free with Vision, same is with Short Mail.
    Do we REALLY have to wait until January??

I would think they would get this going in November like it has been said a few times on here before the holiday season.

I want to be able to use the built in SMS on the phone.

ANyone else have a better indication on timeline. ANd NOT by calling some yahoo at Sprint customer service.
    Originally posted by MikeRadio
    Do we REALLY have to wait until January??

I would think they would get this going in November like it has been said a few times on here before the holiday season.

I want to be able to use the built in SMS on the phone.

ANyone else have a better indication on timeline. ANd NOT by calling some yahoo at Sprint customer service.
    I've talked to people (not CS yahoos) and we're looking at early January. And my contacts are prettyhigh up and they know what they're talking about, never been wrong yet. The tentative launch date is the 3rd or 4th. Originally it was going to be in November, but they're having problems with one piece of software that's pushing back the whole thing. Personally, I'd rather wait for them to get it working right first than release it early when it's full of bugs like they did with Vision.
    I obviously get the most SMS messages in the world per day :/
    Im recieving about 600-800 per day. We use the SMS functionality from TMO (ie. myphonenumber@voicestream.net) email to sms to push HP OpenView network alerts to our phones.

We tried with snapper but it was way to slow and cluncky.

Using the SMS functionality is limted to 160 characters, but the alerts we get are only about 20 or 30 long (ie. Major Mon Nov 17 21:12:23 KYT-Nigeria-GX21:slot-4b:d1 T1/E1: Receiving T1 yellow/E1 remote alarm) and its pushed to us and its just about instant, the timings we have observed is approximately 10-30 seconds from the time the server sends the message out.

Another great thing on the T600 is that with sms between users it sets up like a IM chat session and keeps everything tidy
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

I don't know who you talked to, but the SMS that's getting rolled out in early January will be real, full SMS just like the other carriers have. Treo300/600SMS just facilitates Short Mail. The SMS that we get will be as real as SMS gets.

He's also wrong about the phones with SMS support. The Nokia 3588i also supports SMS and it'll be set to go once SMS is rolled out. After that point, most if not all Sprint phones will have true SMS capibility.

It sounds like the Wireless Web tech you talked to doesn't know what he's talking about.
    Feel like old money now
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Originally posted by HumP
    Another great thing on the T600 is that with sms between users it sets up like a IM chat session and keeps everything tidy
    Yup, I love the interface.
    Originally posted by tjd414

Feel like old money now
    OK, now I'm confused.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast